1985 BMW 325e 1uz swap

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by 85dirty30, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 85dirty30

85dirty30 Member

Hey guys, I've been working on my E30 since I bought it a year and a half ago, went from an M20b27 to an M20b25, and for the past 10 months I've been working on a 1uz swap, I'm a full time student, and work full time, so progress is generally slow, but for now I've got a whole bunch of progress and updates will be coming weekly from here on.
    Anyway, I have an 85' E30 5 speed that started life as an eta coupe, got it with coilovers, ARE 398's, muffler delete, and chipped ecu, made a whopping 67whp and 132ft/lbs corrected at altitude, then I wrecked the car, hopped a curb after a blowout, and it tore off the oil pan, took the oil sump with it, so I swapped in an M20b25 with longtube headers, 3" straightpipe, chipped ecu, added an AKG stage 2 short shifter, gutted the interior, and replaced the factory sport seats with Buddy Club P1's with custom mounts so I fit better (I'm 6'4") and welded the factory 2.79 diff. After a few months the snow started to come around, and I parked it to start the motor swap, at the time I was in between a carbed 5.0 from a foxbody, or a 1uz, I just wanted something that sounded good, didn't weigh much, and was rev happy. I came across a low mileage 1uz non-vvti for dirt cheap, and snagged a remanned s13 trans for cheap too and was well on my way to the worst financial decision I've ever made. Collins performance adapter 6 puck sprung clutch/12lbs flywheel and adapter kit, Chase Bays booster delete and proportioning valve, SRS Concepts dual rear caliper bracket, DND Wheel, Quick release, Hydraulic Handbrake, ISR sprung short shifter and Tomei Delrin Shift Knob. I also picked up Drift Knuckle's Unicorn Angle Kit that will allow for e46 330ci front brakes, and I will be using e36 Speedline monoblocks in front, and keeping my TrakLite wheels for burners. A buddy of mine is a fabricator he's had the car for 9 months designing and fabricating 180 degree headers, chopped and boxed frame rails, solid motor/trans mounts, and modifying the radiator support and strut gussets to fit the dual core aluminum radiator an 1700cfm pusher/puller fans. As it sits now, it has the exhaust on, needs timing belt, fuel plumbing, brake plumbing, accessories, wiring harness, driveshaft, basically everything but the motor/trans.....
    Feel free to tell me how f****** stupid the swap is

#1 85dirty30, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. 85dirty30

85dirty30 Member

I used my 1700cfm pusher for another project, but will be replacing it with likely an identical one, but I plan on running a puller as well (need to mount all accessories before randomly buying a fan that may not fit) I was wondering if anyone has any input on running 1 or 2 pullers? and should I build a shroud? and hopefully next week I'll finish up the braking system with hardlines to proportioning valve to MC and remote mounting MC reservoir, as well as Hydro reservoir, I'll be sure to update with photos

3. 85dirty30

85dirty30 Member

Hey guys, some things came up, and its forcing me to finish within the next 3 months or the car has to go, so expect a whole bunch of updates in the coming weeks, will make sure to post pics and a video when it runs

4. 85dirty30

85dirty30 Member

Well, totally blew it this weekend, not only did all of the people who said they were gonna help no showed, but I ordered 2 12" puller fans, and they are way too big, and need a shroud to be made, so thats happening this week, also having EGR and IACV delete plates made this week, driveshaft should be done friday, but I got the heater core line deleted, timing belt on, starter and block modified because the adapter plate wont allow for the starter to fit a nut in between block and plate, so I threaded the block, and bored out the starter bolt holes for an m12 allen key bolt, also got the new 68c thermostat installed, and everything sealed up, and got my ignition coils ordered, made a bracket for the master cylinder reservoir on the dash, and starting to make the center console mount for switches and brake proportioning valve it is made out of an aluminum sheet that is an advertisement for cold beer, which is fitting for the amount of beer thats been consumed working on this turd. Will continue to update, and pics will come when I've made some more real progress

• Like Like x 1
  5. 85dirty30

85dirty30 Member

Not much to update, and truly apologize for the lack of content, I'm a broke college student and this is my only vehicle, so it's difficult to prioritize my driftcar/daily over school. But at any rate, I had the upper intake manifold modified to delete a whole bunch of emissions garbage, and because I'm an idiot and didn't measure my radiator before ordering fans, I ordered the 2 12" fans which don't fit, so a buddy of mine is making me a fan shroud to fit the two pullers. Hopefully all of this is enough to keep this bad daddy cool. Also broke down the wiring harness to bare wires, and removed (sh!t you not) 10lbs of plastic and brackets from the engine harness, and my wiring guy thinks we only really need 12 wires, so this weekend we're gonna get started on wiring. Lost my s13 driveshaft, so I had to source another one, luckily the driveshaft shop noticed and didnt built the driveshaft, or I would have been completely hosed. ECU was also flashed so it'll work in my chassis, and give me some more rev range, not entirely sure what was changed within the ECU, but some local guy with a 1uz swapped corolla did the flash and guarantees his work, so lets hope all is solid. anyway, pics and updates will come next week

6. 85dirty30

85dirty30 Member

So i'm awful at updates, and it doesn't seem like there is too much interest in this project, so all these updates are pretty much only going to be for me and to document any progress for future reference. So i picked up an Eaton M90 to slap on this 1uz to make a bit more power, and I was planning on using the yellow 7mgte injectors to help feed the engine with the extra air coming through it. But after test fitting, and tinkering and researching it turns out, I don't want the M90, so I sold that and picked up an Eaton M112 from a terminator cobra, I don't have any pictures of the new blower, but it's roughly the same size as the M90 so it's still a fair depiction of how it will look. I picked up some plate aluminum to build the supercharger manifold, I'm planning on CNCing the sides of the box so the top plate can use a gasket and some bolts to bolt the top plate onto the box just to experiment with placement of the blower. but either way it will be sticking out of the hood because the 1uz intake manifold is crazy tall. I will be using the bottom half of the intake manifold (since it's a 2 piece) for the base of the blower manifold, but since I don't think it will evenly displace the air, I'm gonna see if I can make one with aluminum tube runners that go the sides of the blower box rather than the sides, not only should this help evenly displace the air, but it should also lower the blower into the valley of the engine. Also the stock fuel tank crossover tube is notorious for cracking, so I had a few made out of braided SS, it looks way better, and won't crack, I sent the spare out to a BMW aftermarket parts dealer and thy should be putting them on their site for retail customers, I will post a link once all that is finalized IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

7. Cruuz

Cruuz New Member

Most things 1UZ are damn good in my book:thumbs:
    Keep posting, but moar pics

8. 85dirty30

85dirty30 Member

I'll definitely be grabbing more pictures once I get all the accessories on. And I'm glad someone is a fan of the 1uz, been catching nothing but grief with the swap

• Like Like x 1