1988 300zx z31 turbo

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Stevey, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Stevey

Stevey Member

Been on here for a while now , Owned many track toys in the past but only recently have I tried my hand at drifting .... Very much loving it atm.

Anyway on with the car, Originally I bought this one night after many many drinks ..... Beer and ebay should not be mixed

When I picked it up it had a few small problems , Firstly it was an Auto but only had 2 of the 3 gears working.... Interesting drive back but it was a good laugh with the boat suspension and some badly worn rear subframe bushes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First things I ordered was a manual conversion, new rear bushes some lowering springs (amazingly there was a set on ebay for 20 still new in the box)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drove this around for 6 months or so , But a N/A manual was not really doing it anymore. Luckily a good friend of mine had a yellow Turbo 300zx z31 which was rotted out but the engine etc was all in good working order. As he no longer needed it for his Datsun 260z swap anymore i offered him 400 and he accepted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the engine and sold off all the parts i didnt need

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt get round to fitting the engine for a while .... Mainly due to work commitments . But i did buy some slightly better wheels and a front splitter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good friend of mine was changing his brake setup on his S14A so he sold me his whole setup , Which was a good as the standard brakes are terrifying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the old engine ready for some tidying up and painting the engine bay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted it Purple in the engine bay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Make shift rain shelter :)

[​IMG]

Fitted the engine and got it running

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drove it around like this for about 8 months , But as per usual with me and cars i couldn't help but plan the next stage of upgrades

[​IMG]

So i decided that a new paint job and a start on the suspension upgrades was in order

Pictures will be abit random here i cant remember which order i did bits in

Rusty issues :(

[​IMG]

2. Stevey

Stevey Member

Hole in the roof where the old telephone use to be

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car was parked up for abit while i made up new rear struts for the s14a coilovers i had laying around .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to get it damn near the same on both sides , Which in all honestly i wasn't that confident about trying all this.

But been driving it around for a year or so with no problems

Moved the car inside ready for some welding and cleaning up some of the underside for the Mot etc

[​IMG]

Anyway i picked up some XXR rims and got it painted up , No pics of the process just got it done , Was in a big rush to get it to JAE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then added some vinyl design , Been on the car a while now thinking about removing soon

[​IMG][​IMG]

Up to this point I had done a little drifting but the car was mainly just abit of fun on the weekend , That was until a friends of mine had to pull out of a local drift meet at matchams and offered me his space. Id seen alot of people i know drift and thought what the hell looks like a laugh . Long story short i loved every moment of it , But the car had shown some weak points that just driving on the street you just don't notice.

First off the clutch had began to die and was on its last legs , the power steering was cooking and over flowing, the standard seats were not holding me tight at all and the steering lock was terrible.

Bought a hydro handbrake to start with , Was hoping this might take some of the abuse the clutch was getting

[​IMG]

Stripped out all the interior

[​IMG]

and got competition clutch to get me a clutch made up , Took 4 weeks for them to make it . Special order not many 300zx z31 still on the road

[​IMG]

Decided to fit a blitz IC i had laying around from my old builds , Had to make room for it , Was not easy , So little room in the front area. Had to change the angle of the rad by quite a bit to allow for the IC to fit in front of it. I hadn't got the pipes done yet but i promised myself i wouldn't spend anymore money on it till after feb , Got family wedding abroad to pay for.

[​IMG]

Modified the front bumper to fit

[​IMG]

Now made the bumper so it can be removed with two bolt and two straps

[​IMG]

Welded in the harness bar for my new bucket seat

[​IMG]

I'm currently breaking a 350z so decided that the power steering cooler would look better in the 300zx engine bay

[​IMG]

It now back on the road with the new clutch etc , Also fitted a Sparco corsa seat, driftworks harness and some steering spacers.

Went for another drift evening at matchams last week and the car was much better. Biggest improvement was the seat. Its great being able to stay in the seat :) Only downside still causing problems is the more corners i can link up the hotter the car gets. Will need to sort out a better radiator i think.

3. Dex

Dex kut!

is that the final mounting of your rad? seems like it isnt really getting any good airflow? and why is it like that in the first place? i can see that the FMIC piping would faul it. but wouldnt diffrent fmic piping be a better idea? or add a shitload of ducting and fans for the rad. hole out the bonnet etc

4. joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo Member

Looking good dude. Car looks amazing sideways

5. nick-sri

nick-sri Member

Good read. :)

6. Stevey

Stevey Member

Its about a inch lower at the top than its original position . I was hoping there would still be enough airflow to keep it cold enough. The reason it overheated last time was down to me being stupid and removing the standard overflow tank , I was under the impression with a proper rad cap that it would be ok. Luckily it didn't loose that much water so it just got a bit hotter than usual. Bar that it was fine , Just need some new spark plugs .

Once its all together again i can test the cooling properly

7. Stevey

Stevey Member

Right found a few more issues with the radiator , Turns out it had to small leaks in it and somehow the 1.2bar rad cap had got swapped with a 0.9 off a old subaru rad i have laying around.

Holes were caused by the metal plate across the engine bay being hit on something and being pushed up though the rad :( no idea where it happened,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also decided my boring helmet needed spicing up a little

[​IMG]