1992 E36 325i 4 door

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ShawnSlide, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

I picked this car up about two weeks ago pretty cheap. Just for a fun to drive, track and street toy. I don't really have a specific plan yet as of what i want to do with this car. I want to try a bit of everything. Drifting, track day, autocross. I've had many front wheel drive cars and this is my first real rear wheel drive. It's got over 200k miles on it so it needs some freshening up, mainly the cooling system and fluids. I have not even driven the car yet because when i picked it up the clutch was no good so that will be done too. It has some damage to the trunk area but i'll bang that back out.

So far I pulled the engine and trans out because it was too difficult to do the clutch on the ground. I couldn't get some of the top bell housing bolts out. New water pump and thermostat, pulled the a/c out, new fuel filter and doing the front and rear trans/ seals now. Oh and had to fix two broken exhaust studs. IMG_2619.JPG IMG_2620.JPG IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2627.JPG IMG_2630.JPG IMG_2632.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2680.JPG IMG_2681.JPG IMG_2722.JPG IMG_2723.JPG IMG_2724.JPG

I'll update as I go along!

2. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Look to be doing it right man! Reliability is key!

Also is the car Arden Blue? Looks similar to mine!

3. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

IMG_2634.JPG
    I'm not sure what exactly the color is but it does look like it.

4. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

Did a few more things last night. Oil pan gasket, Rear main seal, oil cooler housing gasket and attempted to clean the trans a little lol. It's pretty dirty. I'm getting close to getting this thing back on the ground. Like I said i have not even driven the car yet so i'm excited to get it going and i'm trying not to rush. Just waiting on the correct socket to pull the rear flange off this trans to do the rear seal then going to mount the trans to the engine and drop it back in. 001. 013. 010. 011. 012. 003.JPG 007.JPG

5. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

IMG_2744.JPG IMG_2757.JPG IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2759.JPG IMG_2760.JPG IMG_2762.JPG IMG_2761.JPG I didn't have much time tonight so I just did a few things. Cleaned the engine bay, cleaned the trans, installed heater core block off plate, plugged outlet for throttle body coolant hoses, pulled out the evap canister, and got the socket for the rear trans flange for changing the seal. So hopefully tomorrow I can install the flywheel and clutch and bolt the engine and trans back together.

6. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

OK. I got the engine and trans back into the car. But it looks like i need trans mounts and some clips to hold in the shift linkage, go them on order. Got the clutch installed, front and rear trans seals, valve cover gasket, oil cooler gasket, oil change trans fluid.
    017.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG IMG_2774.JPG IMG_2809.JPG IMG_2817.JPG IMG_2827.JPG IMG_2814.JPG