1992 r32 GTST Running issues

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Steven Jakubowski, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Steven Jakubowski

Steven Jakubowski New Member

So i have a 92 GTST with the RB20DET in it, owned the car for over 2 years now and since I bought it, I've always had an issue when it gets warm out, Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 18.39.19. say over 28C ambient, the car will run like absolute crap. Fitted Nistune awhile back and finally got around to pulling logs because its starting to get warm here. I notice what looks to be a RPM spike the ecu is reading, along with an injection time shut off at the same time, so possibly a fuel cut happening over and over because of an erroneous rpm signal, now my question is, would this be a wiring issue I'm looking at, because multiple CAS have the same outcomes. Ive attached a picture of what I'm seeing, and i have more info for anyone who might have more of an idea, as i am no professional sparky.

Cheers

Steven

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Yes, 25yo old wiring is the most probably cause of the issue.

Just grab a replacement Wiring Specialties harness if you're not an auto sparky

3. Steven Jakubowski

Steven Jakubowski New Member

was trying to avoid spending the money on a whole harness unless i found a problem i couldn’t fix. cars getting a swap when i go back to the states, so ill need another harness then

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Might be an idea to just re-run the CAS wiring with fresh wires.

An easy option is just grabbing a few feet of 5 or 7 core trailer wiring and running it from the ECU to the engine bay, unpin the CAS plug and wire it to that (or another CAS plug if you have one spare to save you undoing this if it's not the wiring) and putting in connectors to the CAS wires from the ECU and swapping to the fresh wires.

I've done this before for relocating a windscreen washer bottle / radiator sprayer and it was handy to have the extra wires running through when i needed them in the future