1999 Mazda miata Drift build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Daniel Neil, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Daniel Neil

Daniel Neil New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.

I drive a 99 miata, Ive owned it for about 2 years. I'm going back and forth on whether to do an autocross build, or drift build. I'm faily mechanically inclined but have little to 0 experience in these sort of builds (my experience are 4x4 builds). Anyhow, I'm wondering how people have been building up the rigs. looking for options, ideas, shopping list, tips, must need parts, and what to stay away from. Tires, wheels, suspensions, rear ends, hydo breaks, horsepower requirements...

Thanks in Advance!

27173283_188195065263887_6698568155700242984_o.

2. reecemunn33

reecemunn33 Member

Good luck dude, looking forward to seeing your progress!

3. Daniel Neil

Daniel Neil New Member

Thanks man. Was wanting to see if there were people on this forum that had experience with useing that particular car, and send me in the right direction sort of speak.

4. reecemunn33

reecemunn33 Member

Well I guess you need to decide what exactly you want to use it for first as the setup between autocross and drifting will be quite different!
    As far as I can tell the little mx5s are really popular for both and a great first drift car that's why I'm building mine into one!

5. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Drift Car setup - weld diff, get spare wheels/tyres, good service and go drive it.

My first drift project Car was a mk1 MX5, I dumped a fuck ton of money and unnecessary parts into it. Never drifted it...

My last one started with just a Torsen Diff as the first modifiaction, but it under-steered real bad thanks to really soft stock suspension and poor geometry setup.. Next mod was coilovers, and sticky front tyres and it was awesome!

They are bullet poof apart from the rust, really fun cars

• Like Like x 1