1jz cooling problems

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Berild, May 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Berild

Berild New Member

Hi

I have a question about how you guys would make the cooling system for an 1jz in an BMW e30
    i have a big alu griffin radiator but the problem would be to Get the air out of the system, thinking about maybe put the radiator in the trunk but Will the standar water pump handle that or i need a electrical pump instead?

Swirl pots and Overflow tank??

Sorry for my bad english :p

2. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

I have seen a lot of rallycross bmws, mitsus,subies having the radiator in the trunk, with vents/holes on both sides of the chassis leading air to it

3. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Have you actually driven it and suffered from overheating, or is this something you are building and not yet tested?

If you are worried about getting the air out the system, you can buy a valve and fit it at the top of the system to release any trapped air.
    1j's don't really suffer from overheating unless running loads of power with stock rad..
    I certainly wouldn't go cutting the car up and boot mounting the rad just yet.. If you are suffering overheating there is probilly a problem, so try to find it before you go cutting..