1jz missfire HELP PLEASE !!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by zombie, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Pure Performance UK

Pure Performance UK Active Member

I've got plenty of bits that you can "borrow" to try IF you can get the motor to me. I'm currently without wheels as both cars are having work on otherwise I'd pop down and see you.

I'd be perfectly happy to give you a bit of my time one weekend to go over the car with you.

2. zombie

zombie Active Member

cheers buddy, by the looks of things, my tax/reg documents will turn up monday/tuesday

So that gives me up untill the weekend to try regapping the plugs and if that doesn't work then chucking on Bens coilpacks to see if it's them.

If none of that works thenI'll bring the car to you one day next week to swap some bits over. Gunna be so much easier to isolate the problem with another 1jz right next to it, saves buying bits that aren't the cause. Should sort it in no time.

My best mate is taking his new 86 to you for a 20v swap anyway :)

3. Pure Performance UK

Pure Performance UK Active Member

Ah right..yes indeed. He's coming in a week Saturday. I imagine it is coil packs if they've been getting wet. If I remember correctly the coil pack cover wasn't on that engine was it? The cover would stop water getting into the coil packs.

4. zombie

zombie Active Member

My coil cover was on, but it being vented as well as my carbon hood, the water was getting in, what Jamie said about the water and crap insulating the old plugs masking the coil problem a bit is starting to make sense.

Wouldn't be surprised if I found cracks on the underneath of the coils when I pull them tomorrow

Fingers crossed ey!

5. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Maybe a bit late, but Id go for coil pack clips first, then coils. Ignitors do go but its not that common. Oh and new coils are 96 quid each from Toyota, x6 :cry: Supersparks are about 350 for a set from Whifbitz, Im using them in my big single Aristo.

6. zombie

zombie Active Member

As in the wiring connector clips/ or where the plug goes into the coilpack?

7. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Where the loom plugs into the coil pack, the grey connectors? They get brittle with the heat, then all busted up internally so they dont connect properly. In my JZ experience thats the number 1 cause of missfires, Ive had it on 1 and 2JZ. new clips are 30 odd quid from Toyota.

8. zombie

zombie Active Member

I don't even have those clips on 4 of 6 coilpacks aha!

The wiring is pikey'd on!

9. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Well thats not gonna help is it lol. If you choose to fit the clips Ive done a how to guide on clubaristo :)

10. zombie

zombie Active Member

Well I will no matter what anyway so if I could get a link to that it would be awesome cheers dude

11. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Here you go mate, its easy, obviously the important part is to get the cables the right way round lol

Club Aristo

12. sideways.taff

sideways.taff - www.tafftune.com -

Well my misfire is fixed, your turn! :D

13. zombie

zombie Active Member

Ok misfire isn't cured but a hell of a lot better after gapping the plugs down to .7 (the car actually boosts now, only starts missing when approaching full boost) So gunna chuck in some iridiums at .7 and try another set of coilpacks. If that doesn't work then look at the earthing to the coilpacks and possibly replacing the connectors. But definitely a step in the right direction.

14. Jason

Jason Nurse?

sweet good news dude :thumbs:

15. Ysracing

Ysracing Guest

my plug are at 0.6 (HKS M35i)

16. zombie

zombie Active Member

I am only running stock boost though?

Will try .6 when I get the iridiums on the weekend

Before trying the new coilpacks :)

17. Ysracing

Ysracing Guest

Hope it will fix it ok Jzx bro. :)

18. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt gapping iridium/plat plugs a bad thing?

19. tokyo_black

tokyo_black Member

I've had a similar issue, your not gonna like this but I reckon it's worth doing a compression test just for peace of mind. I've had a similar issue and spents hundreds on plugs, coilpacks, new clips, fuel pump, fuel filter etc and now I suspect it's a more terminal issue.

All the best mate, loads of us are fans of your car and i'm keen to hear of it up and running properly :)

20. Jason

Jason Nurse?

compression testing is always a good idea, but something has gotta be pretty drastically wrong with an engine for it to cause a misfire, id be suprised if it was that :)