1jz vvti feels slow SOLVED!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Zammish24, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Hey guys and girls as I've probably guessed I'm having problems with my 1jz vvti from a Toyota soarer....
    I bought the engine loom afm and ECU complete and fitted it into my Mazda rx7 (I previously had a 2jzge from a gs300 fitted).
    The car has a wideband and boost gauge installed, a 3 inch exhaust turboback and a fmic (ported ct15b)
    Everything else is completely stock.
    Now to the actual problem.... It feels slow... Slower than it was with the 2jzge! Yeah the turbo spools to 10 psi and the afrs sit at around 13 on full boost but it feels like the car is dragging an anchor. It's as if something is knocking the timing back. So today for the first time I figured I'd floor it see where the rev limit is and it's got no rev limiter!!
    If I'm cruising around 3k rpm off boost I can see the afrs fluctuate between 14-15.5 very quickly and I can feel it, feels like something is knocking the timing back! I'm completely lost now I've been checking my wiring and opeinop up the ECU for and leaking capacitors but nothing there!
    I tried to do the classic te1 and E1 but with it being an OBD2 engine I would need to connect TC and E1... but this doesn't work on engine swaps

2. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

1. done a compression test?
    2. checked timing properly (true TDC , sometimes the markings on pulley are bad)
    3. no rev limiter sounds a bit odd!

3. s13silvia

s13silvia doughnut muncher

Check your compression bud before anything, then timing, then make sure there's not something crazy going on with your boost hoses/ vacuum hoses.

4. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Hey guys sorry for the late reply,
    Compression tests come in at around 180psi across all 6.
    Haven't had chance to check the timing but I've changed the plugs and leads which has helped but still not fully cured.

And I tried to hit the rev limiter again today and I've got nothing it just goes past 8k and keeps going

5. mxrcdude

mxrcdude New Member

Are all your electronics in order? I know a few people who have had the sluggish issue due to knock sensor issues (usually a lack of a sensor). WOT AFRs should be high 10s, low 11s. I've also had my VVTi OCV fail and cause issues. MAF has also been a major pain before, causing all sorts of weird issues.

6. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

long time but an update, i think i might have fixed the issue, i bought better quality coils (performance stock ones) and re-gapped the bkr7e plugs down from .9mm to .6mm made abit of a difference but still felt alittle sluggish but it fixed the spark blow out at higher revs.
    i then changed the temp sensor as there's two types with the same part number but they both fit the water neck....but the plug is very tight.
    One temp sensor has a green body, had a real problem as mine was a grey body plug. Everyone seems to sell the green body but the grey body seems to be a pain in the arse to find! Looking thru a scrap yard looking at random toyotas managed to source a grey body temp sensor from a older toyota avensis which has same part number.
    Fitted that and WOW what a difference!! it spools very quickly and its now got a limiter. Revs at cold starts are alittle low though.

7. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

another long time update, i Managed to FINALLY fix this issue. The temp sensor helped massively but still didn't have that craziness a 1jz should be.... the power felt similar to a stock SR20DET.
    Yesterday while wiring up an engine warning light, i was finally able to do a code check came up with code 12, which means no rpm signal.
    Checked the continuity of the wiring to ecu and sensor... fine, then checked the resistances of both sensors themselves... again fine.
    Then i thought... If the car thinks it's in park, maybe that limits its performance? so this is what i did previously..... On the engine loom there's a large grey plug with 8 wires used to connect the gear shifter, i just connected both Black and Black/White stripe together so the car thought it was in park.
    Here's how i fixed this, I have a Auto ecu which ive fooled.... on plug c88 the NSW (neutral start wire) Black/White stripe, Ground this wire directly to the ECU ground, on the same plug C88 white with a black stripe E2. This way the ECU still thinks the Car is in Neutral NOT PARK
    If you have a Manual ECU you need to ground the STA pin (the only solid black wire on the C88 plug)
    I wish i figured this out before i went spent £££. But wow what a difference. Finally know what that famous 1JZ reputation is all about!!!

Next step... better brakes! Even with ad08r tyres the back end comes loose haha i love it!

#7 Zammish24, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. Gaddiel Garcia

Gaddiel Garcia New Member

Hi, I would like to know the stock rpm limiter on the 1jzgte vvti. Thanks