1UZ, BMW Gearbox's and Turbo Charging options

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by chin, May 10, 2018.

1. chin

chin Member

Hi People,

So I'm looking to get some advice on a 1UZ build I am planning. I've bought a 1UZ thats some with a conversion plate and M5 clutch and a 328 BMW ZF box. I'll be running a Link Extreme ECU to manage it all.

I was planning on running it NA but the devil on my shoulder keeps whisper about turbo's. If I do turbo charge it I'd be happy with 400bhp/450ft torque and a super reliable car responsive car.

So I'm looking to see if ZF transmission will hold up to it that or should I head over to the 330d GS6-53DZ gearbox.

Next I was wondering what turbo I should go for. I had a search and was thinking the Holset HX35 non wastegate 12cm exhaust housing?

Cheers,
    Craig

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Can't comment on the gearbox stuff, but have a little experience with 1UZ's. Is it a vvti or non vvti engine?

Twin scroll is the logical choice if mounting up the front, but that means the cost of either twin wastegates as well or a single 60mm. Your main issue, other than where to put all the pipes, is controlling boost as you would only need around 10psi to get your power goals. The 12cm housing will be ok, but may cause back pressure issues on such a big engine. Don't be scared going for a 16cm housing (they're easier to pick up than the 12cm housings) as it would help with boost control, as would running a 3.5-4" dump pipe. If you have the option go for a HX40 and 16cm twin scroll as the engine will still spin it with ease

Considered going rear mount? an HY35 rear mount with a 9-10cm housing would be awesome

3. counteract

counteract -o=me

I’ve seen a few remote mount turbo V8s now and they seem like a good way to reduce stress on the engine and save some hassle.

Have a look for Stavros’ AMG build, or the Bros for Pros E30 (Norbe Films’ brother’s car)

4. chin

chin Member

Thanks for the advice. I’m not keen on the rear mount setup. I’m about to put a radiator there and am not that keen on all that piping. I’ll have a look at the Hx40 too.

5. BenRice

What's it going in?

6. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

It seems wrong to turbo a V8, supercharge all the way lol. Eaton M112 i think would make the power youre after and would be a bit different.

7. chin

chin Member

Ben its going on a s14.

MaccyD I prefer the way I can control a turbo and run different boost levels easily.

So a bit of searching and speaking to people I’ve heard 500bhp is close to the max for the e36 zf 328 box. I’m guess that’s the same for torque but most quote Bhp. Anyone have any real word experience of there limits? I’m also going on that limit being lower as in drifting its can be a bit more harsh on components.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BenRice

With no radiator in the way you should be golden

If you get a chance check out Jase Brown, an old mate of mine. He's the 1UZ guru over here and has run them in a bunch of Nissan chassis.

https://www.facebook.com/JaseBrownDrift/

I used his 6/71 blown 1UZ C34 Laurel (JAPROD) as my wedding car a few years ago. He's an auto sparky by trade and owns a large wiring company. He's a busy man but tell him who you are and what you're doing and he'll be no end of help

9. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Are we on Plan 'Z' by now? :p

10. chin

chin Member

I think I've run out of letters! :o

• Funny Funny x 1