1uz manual flywheel help

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by RyanGTT, Sep 25, 2015.

1. RyanGTT

RyanGTT Member

Need abit of help, doing a manual conversion on my 1uz.
    Anyone have a picture of a modified 3SGTE flywheel? Like the elongated holes and shamfered ring gear?

Thanks for any help

2. Boss

Boss Member

If you are set on using a 3SGTE flywheel do not elongate the holes, take it to a machine shop and get them to redrill a new PCD into it between the existing holes, and get some 4AGE ARP flywheel bolts with the nice shoulder on them to locate it

PCD 8 x 79.75mm
    Spigot 42.00mm +0.00/-0.02
    Bolt holes 10.15mm

Edit:-

Double check that PCD with your flexplate or crankshaft, I have two drawings, one states 79.75mm and the other 80mm, and I dont have a 1U to double check

#2 Boss, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  3. RyanGTT

RyanGTT Member

Thanks for the reply, I'm not 100% set at the moment.

I've got nearly everything else here bar the flywheel.

I'll have to get a gauge to measure the PCD
    Thanks

4. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

just get a custom flywheel its cheaper than bodging a mr2 one plenty of places can do them

5. RyanGTT

RyanGTT Member

Is there anyone you recommend?
    To be honest I'm not sure on what dimensions etc I would need exactly.

I'm running a M52 gearbox with 328 clutch, adaptor plate infront of the gearbox attaching it to the 1UZ

6. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

You can't drill in between the existing holes, there isn't enough room. You have to get it drilled out so it sort of looks like a figure-8. I have a 3SGTE flywheel that has been drilled to match the 1UZ crank, can get a pic if you want but it took me three seconds to find a pic of one on google;

Mk1 MR2 V8 build thread Pictures and Video - Overclockers UK Forums

It's been done plenty of times and is plenty safe enough, as long as you use the matching ring to go over the holes. Ring gear can just be ground on the correct side, easy job.

7. zeppelin101

zeppelin101 Member

For how much a flywheel is to buy and cut up versus getting one made, I'd rather get one made up. Mace Engineering in Nuneaton are who I'll be using to get mine done, just send them a pressure plate and the 1UZ flex plate and they'll make up a new one piece flywheel to any weight and spec you want for ~£280.

8. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Not a bad price, considering how much it would be to buy a 3sgte wheel then have it drilled properly. I currently have two manual 1UZ conversons, an R154 with a redrilled 3sgte and a w58 but not sure what that has yet as haven't had the box off the engine. Is that Mace Engineering price for steel or aluminium?

If that's the case, you could easily buy a cheapo twin plate clutch cover, send it to them to get a custom flywheel. Then all you need to do is buy the correct clutch plates to fit whatever gearbox you use, and space the throwout bearing accordingly. Nice!

Or if you are lazy, this is a good kit/price for what you get:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABC-Clutc...1UZFE-3UZFE-/181779179140?hash=item2a52e22684

#8 chodjinn, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  9. Boss

Boss Member

You can, I dont have a photo to show you as its fitted to a running driving car, its also the method adopted by Nev at F1Moto

10. zeppelin101

zeppelin101 Member

I don't remember the material specs, I haven't been in touch with them about my project for a few months while other stuff has been going on. I imagine it would be steel.

That was what I was thinking, buy a 7.25" plate clutch and then it doesn't matter what gearbox you put in it, just need the right plate.

I was happier that they were offering a proper solution in so much as I wouldn't be saddled with a 4kg flywheel with slotted holes in it if I didn't want it. They were also open to bringing it back for modifications to get weight taken out if it wasn't offering the right response.

#10 zeppelin101, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  11. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

TTVRACING have always done my 1uz stuff always been spot on. Ive always had custom flywheels as mr2 clutches were on the limit so I had athe flywheel drilled for a 2jz pressure plate and this time 350z pressure plate due to chaging the box.

ive always had steel but ttv make some super light ones tho there is no point what so ever on the 1uz

if your going to drive the car on the road advoid the race clutches a turbo 1uz is really hard going

12. scottmasterton

scottmasterton New Member

Ryan GTT what rear end are you planning on using?

13. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

I'm about to order a flywheel for myself. Should be around £250.

PM me if you want one.

Bizzle

14. scottmasterton

scottmasterton New Member

Bizzle how are you doing the rear end on your car?

15. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

It's a JZA80, so i'm leaving it exactly as it is.
    In fact, i'm leaving everything exactly where it is unless there is a bloody good reason to change it. It's my new mentality in life.