2001 IS200 build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by DiarmaidE36, Oct 19, 2017.

1. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

So for a start, my names Diarmaid im 19 and from Ireland, Decided to start a build thread just to keep track of everything ive done to the car so far. To make a long story short ive had a decent amount of rwds since i was 16, mostly e36s and used to do a few drift days. Moved to college and had to buy a road car so that was the end of my drifting. Had a corolla which lasted about two months before i blew the engine and then bought an e36 318i as a daily. Kept that on the road for a while but never had the power for decent drifting unless it was raining heavy. Decided to take it off the road and do an engine conversion but i lost interest in it and it sits in my garage still. Badly missing having a rwd daily i sold my passat and went with a friend to buy a pair of is200's. 1300 euro later we had them home. i had only intended to keep the lexus for the upcoming donegal rally and then sell it on again, so i could use the money to build my 36. Things got out of hand though and i still have it :euge: dont have many photos from early on because i keep breaking phones but heres a few with terrible instagram filters
    aezFHW.
    j7RQfx.
    Didnt last long as standard, bought some lowering springs for the front and cut springs for the rear for 5 euro :cool: bought a broken trd front lip, gave it a quick fix and threw it on. Also did a diy job on the headlights, which were split and sprayed black. QNPvrh.
    Bough some cheap wheels next and sold the standard wheels, as i hate the whole "altezza rep" look that everyone goes for in ireland. Got a pair of 17x9 stitch precious for the rear and 17x8 rays for the front. Nothing special but they did for a while.
    iMsTv8.
    Ny8gUE.
    After that i put in an altezza 1.5 lsd, as this only had an open diff being an se model. Also got a big 4 inch backbox onto it for a bit of noise :no:
    Was scrolling through facebook one evening when i came upon two sets of volk Gr-c wheels up for 400. jumped in the car and headed half way across the country and picked them up that night. Ended up getting both sets of wheels, adapters and 25mm spacers for 350. Put on some new tyres and threw them on and fell in love. Picked up a set of carbon fiber eyebrows and 13x7 plates at the same time. Ended up looking like a new car
    1f8zZK.
    A4dZpA.
    Headed for Donegal then and spent the whole weekend driving the shit out of the lexus. Between wall taps and bouncing limiter it survived the weekend and got us home in one piece. TqHz9K.
    Didnt do much with the car for a while and put it up for sale but put a years NCT on it and decided to keep it.
    As the car was back on standard suspension for its test I bought a set of eBay MSR coilovers instead of putting the cut springs back in. theyre nothing special by any means but working on a budget and plan on changing them in the future. Other than that i just did a bit of streeto whenever it rained. Bent my drivers wing coming down a corkscrew hill sideways when the wheel caught the arch so had to stiffen up the coilovers.
    QYzZWh.
    Car was getting a bit rough around the edges after clipping walls and cracking the paint on 3 of the arches but i wasnt too bothered as it gets drifted most days.
    cqhlQf.
    YjbFma. YjbFma.

2. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

I was on facebook one evening when i got offered a swap of a cwest front bumper for my standard bumper and trd lip. jumped at the chance and did the swap a few days later.
    5L9l0g.
    Was getting tired of having to wait for it to rain to do any decent drifting so started to look into forced induction. Wasnt sure whether to supercharge or turbo it until i got talking to a local fabricator who offered to do the whole lot for decent money. Dropped the car down to him a few weeks later where it got a custom manifold, t25 turbo, fuel cut defender and a few more little bits put on. had to change the turbo after a few weeks as the oil seals went but its a different car to drive now. Its sitting around the 230hp mark now and the turbo flutter is unbelievable.
    BbtNU0.
    Bonnet vent and canards were the next addition hrJ2yv.
    Car stayed pretty much the same after that for a while just driving it as my daily, bar the addition of a few slaps. Japfest was fast approaching so i decided to tidy up the car and get it on the altezza/lexus club ireland stand. Full respray was on the cards as well as a few new parts such as a 3 bar grille, trd highrise spoiler and light covers. It was a pretty rushed job but its not too bad for 2 lads doing it in a shed with no experience before.
    Sgii5R.
    1hV8tN.
    wGy6sN.
    gAQdKv.
    Also made some DIY vented wings
    3tu56O.
    3glMnt.
    NTdYJb.
    Always liked the look of the kazama auto s15 so went with a similar shade of red
    QDS9tC.
    77HoAn.
    Threw it all back together and was pretty pleased with the results! Not perfect but a hell of a lot better. Few photos from Japfest in Mondello
    c8Tdgf.
    tETbxE.
    oXGIjG.
    Noz4aa.
    sqHpWZ.

POTXF1.
    Going taking it drifting in WaterGrassHill on the 29th and after that ill hopefully get a bn sports or hks rear bumper and 326 power or else a drag style wing. I'll try keep this updated as much as i can but thats it for now :wave:

3. JohnH1995

JohnH1995 New Member

Saw this on the motorway on the way home from japfest I was driving the white altezza with the big sun strip lovely car where did you get the bonnet vent out of interest?

4. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Ah yeah i remember the car, was hoping for a race to see the comparison haha. Got it from Paulius Juodisius on facebook, took a serious amount of work to get molded in and get a nice finish but makes such a difference to the car.

5. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Small update... Brought the car down to Ultimate Drift Series in Cork last weekend. Spent friday and saturday gathering bits and had planned to get my hydro plumbed in and my Lexibreak extra lock fitted. Things didnt exactly go to plan as i was given the wrong bolts for the extra lock kit by a motor factors and then hadnt time to fit my hydro. Said to myself sure feck it well go as is so loaded the car with spare tyres and hit for cork saturday evening. Car ran fine the whole way down and we landed to @Aidan_G house where we were meant to sleep. He decided to lose the keys to the house though which resulted in us all sleeping in our cars :oops: Got up the next morning and hit for wgh. Went for scrutinizing and realised i forgot to bring a tow strap for the front so i had to run no front bumper so there was access to the standard tow eye if i went off track.
    ijRINE.
    Flew through then and put on my skid wheels (need to buy better looking ones at that) and headed out on track not really knowing what to expect with no extra lock or hydro. Got a few safe laps in taking it handy before blowing a boost pipe and had to head off. xoQhCN.
    Fixed that and we were away again, got a lot more confident in the car as the day went along and as i got used to the track. Car went well bar having a few overheating problems but it was linking the track fairly well.
    ooSRmJ.
    yIEUB2.
    ZMOl97.
    POa4Tb.
    Also had to give this header of a passenger rory a go behind the wheel for his help getting it ready for wgh and when painting the car before Japfest :cool:
    H7pZfR.
    And to finish this off a photo of his e10 corolla wagon that acted as our van for the weekend :thumbs:
    eNNE7k.
    Lexus got us home in one piece and no sign of any guards which is always a bonus :worthy:
    Hopefully ill get around to fitting the extra lock tomorrow and sort the overheating issue, and might look into bringing the car to goldstone some day soon once i gather a bit of money. Thats it for now :wave:

6. Ptank

Ptank New Member

How does this go considering its a pretty basic set up ? considering buying a is200 myself and throwing a turbo in it for a bit of sliding

7. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Well done, would love to the Stitch on the front though!

Done anything to the fuel setup? What ECU too?

8. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Goes fairly well for what it is, completely different car to standard worth every penny turboing it

9. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Thanks, but What do you mean about stitch at the front? standard fuel setup and ecu just with a fuel cut defender. Hoping to get a piggyback ecu and map it for a bit more power. If the engine blows theyre only around 100 euro to replace :cool:

10. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

The 17x9 Stitch Precious wheels. Would look sweet as steerers

11. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Tried it before on a friends is200, but they were rubbing on the arms. Suppose I could try them with a spacer some day for a look

12. R3dd3v1l

R3dd3v1l Member

decent build,