Woocash's E36 323 Weapon

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Woocash, May 31, 2013.

1. Woocash

Woocash Member

Hi all,
    I thought I'll start a build thread, at least I'll remember what was done to it :wack:.

It started as "Magic Performance" daily drifter, proven on tracks and around Wrexham area.
    Eventually made redundant and stripped from most goodies she came to me.
    1997 E36 323
    2.5L 170bhp
    Boston green used to be...
    now scotch brite spec green/black/stickerbomb
    -ca.135k on the clock with SH :smokin:
    -Bubble Dildo gearknob
    -stripped out,
    -std. leather seats,
    -open diff,
    -std. suspension.
    -funny blue M3 rep F.bumper
    -free battle scars
    Slowly, bit after bit (on a tight as fcuk budget) she starts taking shape :D
    Not my only car and it's a drift weapon so no posh stuff.
    Some pictures and spec later...

When I first got her(+my posh 16"AC Schnitzer reps LOL)
    [​IMG]

Having fun @Buxton 2012
    [​IMG]

In action @Buxton 2013
    [​IMG]

Comp run with Karl @Buxton 2013
    [​IMG]

That's how it looks when stuff is being done :smash:
    [​IMG]

I'll put mods and spec up to date later...

Cheers
    Woocash

2. Wackojacko.

Wackojacko. Member

Hello mate, presuming this is youruser name on TD aswell ?

If not then ignore this, will get back to you on my doubled up rear ARB mate. Been real busy.

3. Woocash

Woocash Member

Damn, U found me...now I need to make a runner. LOL
    Don't worry when, I'm busy as fcuk myself.

Cheers Bud
    Woocash

4. Woocash

Woocash Member

I've got few minutes at work, time to put the spec down.

Engine and drivetrain:
    - M52 std lump
    - metal thermostat housing
    - MIG spec diff
    - Magnex exhaust
    - Hockey puck spec engine mount

Suspension:
    - F. shocks Bilstein + AC Schnitzer springs(new old stock :D )
    - R. shocks TA Technics + red lowering springs
    - 4mm lock spacers
    - F. wishbones M3 eccentric polybushes
    - R. ARB M-sport + polybushes
    - R. trailing arm polybushes

Interior and exterior:
    - Stripped out
    - Dildo gearknob
    - Retro Cobra seat on custom sliding rail(it's ok but will change the angle of the seat eventually)
    - Hydro cheat stick(brake pipes done, unit to be fitted)
    - genuine red M3 F.bumper with splitter(found on the way to Buxton and cable tied it :D )

Wheels and misc:
    - 2x 20mm(or 25) hubcentri spacers with long bolts
    - 2x H&R 40mm hubcentric bolt on spacers(used as required)
    - 4x 16" AC Schnitzer reps
    - 4x 15" E34 cross spoke
    - some other 15-17" alloys

Everybody likes photos...but U'll get some next time.
    Fcuk it, time to do some more work.
    More to come, bet I've forgot something :D

Cheers
    Woocash

5. rover

rover Guest

Can you please tell me how to make the Hockey puck spec engine mount?
    I thought the e36 engine mounts are offset? How do you make them?

6. Woocash

Woocash Member

Hi mate,
    first find some hockey pucks(go for black ones). People put 2-3 a side, I've got myself a 5pack for just over 10pound delivered(ebay).Then I've cutted one in half(hacksaw) so fitted 2.5puck a side.
    Grab some sandpaper, brake cleaner(spirit or whatever else) and rubber vulcanizing glue. U need only little bit of glue, go to any tyre changing place and ask them for some(bier money?). After sanding, cleaning and gluing them together leave them in a vice(or equivalent) over night.
    Next drill a hole in the middle(start 8mm and make the bolt a tight fit).
    I've used couple M10x4" bolts (8.8 grade) and 4 washers(go for bigger and tougher ones) from local engineering shop(4pound).
    Keep the washers that came off old mount and reuse them.
    I've done the driver's side, the other need to wait.
    Now time for some pictures:D

[​IMG]

Don't get confused with that big old washer, it's for some other stuff(if I could I would use such big ones).
    [​IMG]

Hope that's any help for U.

Woocash

#6 Woocash, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  7. rover

rover Guest

Hahahah you said bier money :) that is dutch for beer :). I am just going to try this, I hope my local shops have the right glue and bolts + washers otherwise I will just order them online. Wish me luck :).

So if I get this right you need 1 washer on the top and 1 washer on the bottom of every mount?

#7 rover, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
  8. Woocash

Woocash Member

I've been to Your beautiful few times and used to speak german fluent ;).
    U got it right, bigger washers going on the pucks. Old washers from top of metal arm and under subframe stay in there for new bolts.

Some other stuff:

White M-sport ARB with polybushes
    Rear TA Technix shocks
    Red lowering springs

[​IMG]

Front new-ish Bilstein shocks
    [​IMG]

New/not used ACSchnitzer springs - White(old stock)
    Red "special" lowering springs
    2x 20mm + 2x 40mm H&R spacers
    [​IMG]

9. Woocash

Woocash Member

Some video from Buxton
    I'm the 3rd car without a bumper and lights

In the wet, after making a mistake of putting winter tyres on.

There's some more on my channel,
    BTW. I still got the Mk1 Mx5 (silver/black, later apple green), from other videos
    WoocashCars

Cheers
    Woocash

10. Woocash

Woocash Member

I've got the beemer about a year, over that time I've put couple of thousand miles I took it to 3-4 drift days.
    Last years Buxton after an amazing day out and with the new toy tested I was going back home with a massive grin:wack:.
    My weapon of tyre mass destruction survived, well kind of...
    Few battle scars showed up, I've managed to save a manji that went wide :smokin:.
    End up with a tiny scuff and hanging off rear bumper(poor cable ties).
    Sadly few laps later I've end up doing almost 360 and tapping the wall with the N/S/F wheel.
    Wasn't a massive crash so after checking if my mates ok I've stick it in 1st and floored the fucker.
    After causing a lot of rubbing and grinding I've get of the track.
    My N/S/F wheel was looking funny(toe out like mad and positive camber :cry:)
    I was trying for an hour or two :smash:, but it was a NO GO:no:
    A wishbone, track rod end, bit of hammering and some zip ties later it was like new :smokin:
    TBH it was twat of a job, none of the nuts came off...angry times:smash:.

My first Buxton this year revealed another fault, as the car is not used on the road it wasn't tested.
    Steering rack was locking in mid corner and such...took me loads of time to find it's a collapsed engine mount.
    After a ratchet strap borrowed of a top bloke in a massive Merc truck(one of drifters) I was back on the track:smokin:.
    Later on "Magic" found some truck keys and I've found a way to say thanks for borrowing the strap(they belonged to my saver.
    As it was saturday next 1,5 day I've spend with the strap on(LOL sounds so wrong).
    There was no more bad surprises with the car, just my bad judgement in tyre pick.
    After a sunny saturday we had a rainy sunday, it was drying out a bit so next tyres were snow ones...:no:.
    I was fighting with understeer, shot shocks and bouncy springs the whole weekend but slippery tyres killed it.
    It was time for the competition, without a handbrake but with a strap on my engine and a smile on my gob I went for it.
    Did I not mention yet there was no handbrake? Eee who needs handbrake and we all know how e36 are LOL.
    For my first time I was well chuffed, loads of fun.
    It was dry-ish so the qualifying run went smooth with only a little bit of understeer.
    Got thru on 15th place but at this time it was raining again.
    I've spun out few time in the twinning battle with Karl, later Magic got bitten by him as well.
    Soon as I could I was out changing wheels over for the later practice.
    There was barely anybody there so had load of seat time.
    Had an amazing weekend at Buxton as always, massive cheers to all staff and drifters:thumbs:.
    Another great thing was that on the way to Buxton I've found an genuine M3 bumper on the side of the road :wack:.
    Somebody crashed and dumped it there with the splitter, some cable ties later it was ready to rock.
    It's a good replacement for my m3 rep but gonna stay red for now :D.
    Since then I've sort some suspension out and if time will allow I'll put the hydro in.

Pic of my wall rub. Fresh cable ties and it's like new :smokin:
    [​IMG]

That's the way she stands ATM, suspension not settled yet but still need more lows on the front.
    [​IMG]

Soon as the budget gonna allow I'm going Buxton again(I've just missed Birmingham :().
    Next on list to get/buy/do:
    -camber washers
    -x brace, top front + rear braces
    -maybe coilovers one day
    -other stuff

Cheers
    Woocash

11. rover

rover Guest

Sweet this is my new favorite thread, I am considering a hydro as well. These e36 handbrakes are so lame lol :).

12. Woocash

Woocash Member

Nice one mate, sadly not much time to do stuff on it.
    Not having a welder handy don't help :/ , need some braces but it's difficult to make them away :/.
    Just got back from work, what a fcuked up day... quick din-din and back to do stuff.
    I'm quite involved in my friends E34 540i/6 resto/fast road project, love this car to bits. :D
    Manual V8...do I need to say more???

Enjoy
    Woocash

[​IMG]

#12 Woocash, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  13. Wackojacko.

Wackojacko. Member

Good work, will get them pics sorted for you mate.

I nearly bought that E34 on eGay a little while ago, looked sweet !

14. Woocash

Woocash Member

Cheers bud.
    I use to have one few years ago, my dream car(since I was about 10-12yrs old).
    It was a 525TDS, got it with 250k and put another 45k in 2,5year.
    Few cross country trips, shows, testing tracks, drift days...U name it, it was there :D
    Best car I ever had(not power wise but overall score), got written off twice.
    I so regret not keeping it, but at the time i couldn't :(
    E34 are amazing, solid german tanks :D

15. chidley

chidley i like fingers

you may have already been told this, and its going back to grassroots of drifting, but youll find the car handles a bit better if you cut your springs down a bit, the red rear springs will be a generic 'lowering' spring which in no real world makes a car low, and the front springs if your still on stock springs just need 1/4 or 1/3 cutting out (depending on how daring you feel - i used to do 2 coils from the bottom), personally id cut the ac shitzer springs and fit them, purely cus i know that nobody actually buys e36 parts for any real money, and there probably a harder spring compound that the stock ones, and 100% definately get the diff welded. dont listen to the bad stories of welded diffs, ive used them on the road for countless years alongside many many other people i know and not one of us has a horror story to tell.

anyways, hope this helps a bit

16. Woocash

Woocash Member

Hi Chidley
    -ac schnitzer springs fitted already, I've chopped them before fitting but will be cutting some more off
    -got the diff out on the drive as one of first things, took it work and welded it. I so enjoyed putting it back on myself.
    Don't worry I ain't scared of welded diffs and choppie chop springs, used to run them daily.

Cheers for advice,
    PS. That's a nice 180 U got there mate
    Woocash

17. Woocash

Woocash Member

That was a busy but successful day :wave:
    One of the lads at work proved that using brake fluid near a hot exhaust manifold will cause a fireball:confused:.
    Next thing old Micra was on fire :( , common sense it's so overated.
    I've grabbed the fire extinguisher and kill the flames with no actual damage to the car:smokin:.
    I was a HERO for 5 minutes in there eyes(I call it common sense and swift reaction).

I've decided to spend some time after work sorting out few bits and bobs on the beemer.

Went home and pulled her out into the workstation area;)
    [​IMG]

DODO - little helper came to interrupt me(little yes, helper not really). He loves sitting in beemers :nod:
    [​IMG]

Got rid of the inner skin on the bonnet
    [​IMG]

Some of the boot inner skin
    [​IMG]

Wiring on the floor was bit of a mess
    [​IMG]

Luckly cable ties where there
    [​IMG]

White battle scars after tapping the wall(after repair- I know it don't look like it)
    [​IMG]

Apart from that I've got the shocks out and chopped bit more of the springs.
    The drive where I live is bit of a twat when U got a slammed ride.
    I've used to get the bumper off to get on it, even then my Mx5 was scrapping his T*ts off.
    After todays diet beemer lost 5kg :), it's not a lot but every little helps.
    When I'll have a chance I'll make some seat rails and put another bucket in.
    There's plenty more stuff needing shifting to make it lighter.

Cheers
    Woocash

18. rover

rover Guest

Did you use a drill press for the hockey puck mounts? Because mine came out really crooked, also the puck I cut in half came also looked dodgy :(.

19. Woocash

Woocash Member

I've used normal hand drill(pucks were mounted in the vice) and took my time to chop it as clean as I can.
    It's not perfect but does the job nicely. Can U still usr the ones U got or they fcuked?

Woocash

20. rover

rover Guest

No I think I will try again soon, I also purchased a drill press for really cheap on craigslist.