E36 HSD's not as low as I thought...

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Adamaga, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Adamaga

Adamaga Member

Fitted my brand spanking Monopro's a few weeks back and I'm very pleased with their performance. Great coilovers.

The only issue I have is with the rear ride height.
    I've removed the adjusters and rubber cups so the springs are sitting in the perches on their lonesome and here's the current ride height on level ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels are 16x8.5 et13.
    I honestly thought they would go to a stupidly low level without any adjusters in but it seems quite high.
    You can see that the passenger side is a tad higher too.

Here's my old 36 on eBay coilies with no adjusters on the rear springs. Considerably lower.
    [​IMG]

I know it's a silly little issue but I wasn't expecting to pay £800odd for suspension that's higher than cheapo eBay ones.

Don't get me wrong I'm not digging at HSD's but I expected something a bit more badass in terms of height.

Anyone else experience this issue?

2. simonlpearce

simonlpearce Member

Mine are the same although im more than happy with the height at that level.

3. tathan

tathan Member

lol, when did lower become better?

4. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

i think ebay springs generally work out at about 3.5-4 kg hsd's are proabably twice that so assuming they're they same free length, I'd imagine the ebay ones will drop you about 4 cm lower which looks about right in those pictures.

BC springs are considerably shorter, but they have different adjusters.

Good work on the old wheel fitment btw, not enough people drop the back of beemers properly in comparison to the front!

5. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

If you just wanted low then why bother with them when ebayers will give you that? Running that low will ruin any hope of handling anyway.

6. Adamaga

Adamaga Member

There's always a compromise between handling and looks. I get that.
    If I wanted a great handling track car the car would be completely different. It's all about getting used to your setup.

Crazy japs run low and they don't give a fuck and still drift like cocks everywhere.

I like running low even if I have to sacrifice handling somewhat.

The springs look smaller than the eBay ones though which is what I don't get.

It's a good enough height. Any higher and I'd be disappointed.

7. AgitatedTrout

AgitatedTrout Member

Lol at people hating because he wants his car to be how he likes it. SHOCK HORROR!

8. rover

rover Guest

You can always cut a little off the springs or just get a new set of springs and cut into those. If you really want to have it that low you might even consider 12/15kg springs or something.

(to me this sounds like a very typical "OH MY GOD LOOK AT MY PRETTY BEAMER THREAD IF IT COULD ONLY BE 2MM MORE LOWER")

9. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

I can't get that low on bc springs and no adjusters. And that's a really short spring. Guess that's the price you pay for running a decent spring rate

10. catboy

catboy Member

I know youre not after ultimate handling, but it looks about right to me through sat morning eyes! we normally run around 30mm less "height" (wheel center to arch-lip on std bodywork) at the rear than the front, which gives some rake due to arch geometry..

Slightly off topic, what are the wheels? a good fit for an e36, and they look great!

11. MJG

MJG Active Member

I normally cut 40% off the bottom of the pigtail spring, then use the adjuster on the top (un cut) part of the spring to build the height back up. You can always cut a bit less off the bottom to be safe at first.

12. Lee

Lee Getting there

the old one looks awesome! I also would like to know the wheels :)

No help I know but I cut the pigtails on my e30 in half pretty much, was the only way to get it low enough. That was on FK konigsports but same problem.

13. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

It looks more to me like your wheels are too small rather than the car not low enough.

HSDs are more geared towards handling and actually being good.
    If you wanted to run silly low the car will handle like a duck on a frozen pond anyway so you may as well have just got cheap eBay coilovers.

Not slating you for wanting it low as that's your personal lifestyle choice. But it does seem daft spending a fortune on good coilovers then winding them down so they don't work anyway.

14. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

Surely if you run that low you want stiff shocks and springs. eBay coilovers are not this.

15. Adamaga

Adamaga Member

I've done the eBay coilies thing and they're good for the money but I want to start getting into more serious entries and speed. Fancied HSD's for a long while and thought it was time to upgrade and have a bit more adjustment.

I'm not going to be chopping brand new coilies either!! :p
    I guess I'm gonna have to settle for the height for now.

Oh and the wheels are Mille Miglia 1000's in 16x8.5 et13.
    Unsure of the exact model as they're rare as shit.

16. Sc4mpi

Sc4mpi Cookie Monster

fill the car with fuel. boom. then you will have the same height ;)

17. Adamaga

Adamaga Member

Don't think I've filled up a car in years!! :p

18. MJG

MJG Active Member

You can have a slammed car and decent handling. Sure you are further out of the "optimal" arc of suspension parts but that is secondary to damping and spring rates to control vertical wheel movement. As long as you're not on the bumpstops an improvement in suspension control is always going to be appreciated.

I'm not sure why you wouldnt' cut "brand new coilies"... There's no point in spending money if you aren't happy with how it sits. Get the grinder out and man up, or you're no better than the faggots with "ground clearance" pah.

19. Lee

Lee Getting there

You do have a way with words Mike, hahaha

20. kevinLee

kevinLee Member

Ive ran ebay coilovers and BC coilovers on full low on my mx5. The difference was night and day. And the coilovers still functioned 100% as they should