Drift works adjustable lower arm help

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by wheelerr33, Jul 29, 2013.

1. wheelerr33

wheelerr33 Member

Just fitted drift works adjustable lower arms to the front of my s13. I'm finding now my rack is going over centre and locking on full lock. If I fit offset rack spacers will I need shorter rods, or can I just adjust the arm out to compensate?

I know adjusting the arm out will give me more camber but that's not an issue as I could do with more anyway :)

2. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

The only reason the point it goes over centre would change is if castor has changed. Have you increased the track and not changed the tension rod length to compensate?
    Offset rackspacers will definitely help with over centring, but it sounds like you need to get your castor sorted first.

3. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Are you using the lock stops that come with the LCA's?

I wasnt and had the same issues. You probably will still need to shorten the tie rods when using the rack spacers but I cant confirm because I swapped to 45mm extended LCA's when I fitted my Geo's and rack spacers (still need to chop down my tie rods)

4. wheelerr33

wheelerr33 Member

bought them seccond hand and the lock stops were missing. (no huge issue as ive heard if you hit the lock stops hard enough they move in anyway).

fitting the offset spacers now and they are sitting at different angles (i.e. one pointing up and forward and the other pointing down and forward), im guessing this means i need to re notch my rack... can anyone confirm before i start angle grinding :)

5. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

yes need to notch rack. what rack is it?

i put a 14a rack on my ps13, and i then didnt need to notch.

6. wheelerr33

wheelerr33 Member

ive notched the rack and they are all fitted and rack is no longer binding.....

NEW PROBLEM.... massive toe in.. now i have read that i need to buy shorter arms .... or i can adjust the adjustable lower arms to compensate... ive adjusted the lower arms and its cured the massive toe in. however. now my tension rods do not line up..... this is turning into a right ball ache.

7. FireStorm999

Id get some z32 Rods + Ends (what rods/ends do you have currently?)

i had tein rods + ends with rack spacers and adjustable lower arms and both wheels toed in massively. even after cutting a lot off the tein arm it still toed in.

i ended up with z32 rods + tein ends and it cured ze problem.

8. wheelerr33

wheelerr33 Member

running all standard s13 rods and ends..... just read that z32 rods with s14 ends will cure it....

ideally i would just lengthan the lower arm as it will give me my desired camber too. i can get the wheels to sit right all apart from the tension rods that wont line up... and there is no room on the driftworks arms to re drill the mounts for the rods......

9. FireStorm999

your tension rod should just lengthen or shorted depending on where your lower arm sits no? then you can adjust the castor once its bolted together?

10. wheelerr33

wheelerr33 Member

yeah it does. but it doesnt physically line up with the mounts if i extend the lower arm.

11. FireStorm999

Rods rods rods & ends ends ends

:D

12. wheelerr33

wheelerr33 Member

so you reakon z32 rods with s14 ends.... next question.... who had z32 rods with s14 ends and can have them in exeter, devon by tonight :)

13. scottc1088

scottc1088 Member

iv got z32 rods with s14 ends for sale, pretty much new

14. wheelerr33

wheelerr33 Member

How much? Can you post or are you local ish to exeter

15. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Before you go notching your rack, swap the spacers over to the other side, I had the same problem so put them on the opposite side, and instead of notching the rack i got a file out on the rack spacer (thats how little the one needed trimming)

And Z32 arms are too short, I made the mistake of buying them, no good with extended lower arms, especially if you want to extend yours to run camber.

16. wheelerr33

wheelerr33 Member

Had to notch rack. Was even more off when I swapped them round. Z32 arms with s14 ends should be ok. Im was only extending the lower arm to compensate for the rack spacers. But tension rod didn't line up. Once I got the correct arms and ends it will be very close to stock (not quite all the way) and there will be plenty of adjustment on the track end to compensate for that.