volvo 740 swap options?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by callingltu, Aug 21, 2013.

1. callingltu

callingltu New Member

Hello all,

So I found really nice 740 for not a lot of money. Stiff suspension, really good body, nice 9j wheels and list goes on. But it has b230k engine, which is not really powerfull. I will buy it and skid it all winter, but after winter engine needs to go :D

So what are cheap options for swap apart from b230ft and other 4cyl volvo turbos?

Dont suggest me 2jz or RB, they are out of my price league :D

But what about m52b28 ? How hard would that be?

Also what about 1uzfe? My friend is selling one really cheap with bmw TDS gearbox fitted with it. How hard would this be? I can hardly find any info about 1uz in 700/900 volvo.

Cheers

2. Olliehood

Olliehood Member

B230ft engines have loads if potential and are pretty strong man, ones after 93 I think have oil squirters and stuff plus stronger bottom ends.

You could waste time putting a m52 in or just put in a b230ft and get more power from it with more potential.

It's probably the cheapest way but I dunno if it's swayed you or if your still thinking not a volvo 4 cylinder.

So, you could follow Marc huxley who runs the volvo 240 bdc car and fire a bmw v8 engine in there,

Let me know if you wanna go down this route as I have a mate selling a full conversion, 4.4 plus manual box 6 speed and loom for 1500 Ono. Dunno what your price range is but I imagine its a bit much ?

3. callingltu

callingltu New Member

Yep 1500 is a bit much. As I found 1uz with TDS box for about 500 pounds. I was just thinking of how hard it would be.

But i think i will go b230ft anyway as this is easiest, just hard to find sometimes. But i was just trying to look out of any other options available :)

cheers

4. Olliehood

Olliehood Member

Big turbo and your fine, there are plenty backup stuff available for them but its on Swedish websites as far as I could find, not bad price wise though,

People seem to get them up to mega power though

5. callingltu

callingltu New Member

Thanks for advice :)

Maybe anyone has any experience with 1uz in volvo? :) If not ill have to go with b230ft probably

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

With a rear hump sump fucking anything will fit a 700/900 series.

We have a massive turbo V8 in my 940 and it involved zero chassis mods at all.

7. callingltu

callingltu New Member

Hey maybe there is a project in this forum of your car? Would like to see :)

8. callingltu

callingltu New Member

Thanks Stavros!

More about b230ft. Just checked all forums from where I live and it is impossible to get that engine and m90 gearbox is even more impossible to get :/ Will have to check for other options

9. Greenestate

Greenestate New Member

I have an M90 gearbox that has done just 70k miles, £350. And a DMF for £150. Had a B230FK but that's sold. Also have a Merc C180 W202 engine and auto box, 110k miles, still in car and running(car about to be broken or could be sold complete: it's just a bit rusty and needs an MOT and I have other priorities). All private sales, all located near Dumfries, Scotland. Please email gavin@powerswim.co.uk

10. Joshua Stacy

Joshua Stacy New Member

What do you guys think of this I'm picking up a 740 with 256k on the motor and I'm thinking about taking my 98 Roush F150 NASCAR 4.6 engine and gear box with less then 100k on it and slapping it in that pig

11. Ramon

Ramon Member

Get the 2.5 liter 20v turbo (B5254T3) with the gearbox of a volvo 960 (M90)

beautiful setup and sound :p whatever power goals really