20DET Gearbox stuck to block.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Matthew32, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Matthew32

Matthew32 New Member

Hi Guys.

Have been spending the last few hours under my car swearing and whatnot....
    Had an issue where I could not get into any gear, tried a new slave, bled her a few times, shook my head in disappointment, nothing worked. So she made it into my shed and I got stuck into it.
    Gearbox bolts, starter, slave, are all undone, gearbox bellhousing can rotate but will not separate from the block. I have managed to get it about 1.5ml off the block but theres no getting it an further. Checked a few times and theres nothing holding her back, not from the outside anyway. Tried prying, pulling, even had a strop on it connected to my shed.... Has anybody ever come across this?

2. speedykonzales

Splines stuck in the clutch disc.

3. Matthew32

Matthew32 New Member

Sweet....

So where do I go from here? is it a case of going hulk and eventually getting it out? or is there a more delicate way?

4. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

If you have it rotating and it isn't butting up against the bulkhead or anything silly like that, a decent pry bar should give it the required encouragement.

You've removed the propshaft, right? :D

5. gary g

gary g Member

You sure its not hitting the tunnel, all wires disconnected, shine a light up between the bellhousing and block to make sure all bolts and dowels are out

6. Matthew32

Matthew32 New Member

everythings off, it isn't hitting anywhere. first time iv had this happen and iv had this box out a few times. Sounds like she might just need a little more encouragement haha. Will get a pry bar in there and let you know how I get on :)

7. Thiessentr

Thiessentr New Member

Mine had the same problem. I stuck a prybar on both sides of the tranny and just kept working it. Eventually it came off.

8. toffep0pz

toffep0pz New Member

Ive heard of this happening when people don't change to the manual spigot bearing, were there any squeeks when driving?

9. speedykonzales

Always apply lubricant onto the shaft :D