Bolt in vs weld in cages.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Aaron328, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Aaron328

Aaron328 Member

After been at a few events now where cars have flipped I'm thinking its time to get a cage.

What are the pros and cons of bolt in and weld in cages?

Ideally I'd want to go bolt in due to been able to change it between shells, but if they're useless then I'll just have to get better, fast.:lol::lol:

2. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Iv got the best of both worlds....

I have a Nickson Motorsport cage... He built box platforms for the cage to sit on, they are welded in with captive nuts.. The cage then bolts to the platforms..

When it comes to drift cars, I see shell's as expendable items.. Often easy to change than fix.. So I have templates of the weld in box sections to remake them in the eventuality I need to swap my cage into a new shell..

Also, I don't see much point in going mental with cage with a drift car.. Yeah it looks cool, but it's more weight, and there is a lot to be said for not making the chassis to stiff..

Build a cage to BDC spec and that'll keep you safe enough..

3. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

^^^ Nicksons box section is pure stunning... i had a bolt in cage in my soarer with nickson box section...

only reason why i would go for a bolt in now would be when selling car on not everyone wants a cage but if that wasnt an issue id be going weld in.. its also cheaper for weld in

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

I have only every had bolt in cages. Mostly because they have come up cheap and I swap cars fairly often.. so figured i'll just take it out when I want to sell or I crash it. :)

Cage imo. Should be a MUST for drifting.. from ALL levels, whoever you are.. what ever your car. Iv seen far too many cars flip now in the last year or so and so far.. everyone has been lucky to survive. It should be a priority higher than most other parts on a driftcar REGARDLESS if your twinning or not.

5. Pete_the_Russian

I will probably end up going with a bolt in as well for the above reasons. They are slightly cheaper and will be able to swap them over from shell to shell. Yea mint, you learned the hard way :)