cs2 coilovers knocking!! less than 250 miles old?? please help...

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by kev200sx, Oct 13, 2013.

1. kev200sx

kev200sx Member

Hi peeps im looking for some help. The problem I have is I've bought some Driftworks cs2 coilovers off a friend that was breaking his car due to rot, they had covered roughly 200 miles in his ownership and ive done 20 miles on them and there knocking on the passengers side front and rear.. The front is by far alot worse than the rear!!

Right I have had these coilovers off numerous times now checked to see if I had any worn bushes or ball joints and everything is fine! I've also checked the collars and made sure all there tight which they are and Ive also swapped the coilovers from left to right and the noise is persistent with whichever side the coilovers are swapped too so there's definitely something wrong with them??

Has anyone else had any problems with cs2 coilovers knocking after such a short times worth of use? Please help if you have any ideas of what it could be and if it's something I can sort out my self thanks kev

#1 kev200sx, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

Remove the Collars and springs from the damper body and check for play and leaking by compressing the Shafts to the bottom, and wiggling from side to side over the full travel.
    More often than not, the whole set up of them is to blame and people wind on too much Pre load onto the spring, or have not done things up properly. If he's kept the receipt you shouldn't have any problems getting replacements from DW anyhow.

3. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

If there's a problem with the CS2 units you'd be one of literally a handfull in thousands sold, so it's quite unlikely. The usual cause of knocking is the the top nut not done up, but if you've had them apart as many times as you say I'd hope this has been checked. If there is actually a problem just let us know who bought them originally, and we'll do our best to get you sorted.

4. kev200sx

kev200sx Member

Ive pm'd you phil :)

5. kev200sx

kev200sx Member

I've checked for any leaks and there are none and I will try strip the coilovers down and check for any play!! I'm just a bit baffled as they look brand new other than some fitment marks. But hopefully I'll find out the cause of the problem:thumbs:

6. kev200sx

kev200sx Member

All sorted now :) massive thanks to the Driftworks team for sorting it out for me:dw::thumbs:

7. Starkey

Starkey Administrator
    Staff Member

Not a problem :) glad we could get it sorted for you