Buying an Impreza? Alternatives?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Paz, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

Kinda need an estate, kinda could do with it being 4WD and not dull as ditch water... Maybe.

Impreza springs to mind, ive always loved em (the car, and not the monster energy "sponsored" WRC drivers i see driving around, family in toe) so figured i might get a wagon one. The only thing is, would i regret buying a 1500 quid one, are they all gonna be total shit? What do i look for when getting one?

Are their any alternatives that ive not thought of?

Fanks.

2. bell

bell Without patience

from speaking with a guy i work with on occasion, he reckons the wagons arent that impressive on size, there no longer with about a foot more in height for room in the back, so it depends what your needs for an estate are?
    our unit is next door to forresters subaru in bilston, and they seem a much better buy, bigger and can be had in 2.0 turbo 4wd manual or 2.5 turbo auto.

3. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

i've had 3 impreza's now. classic shape are horrid on insurance. uk car's 2001 on are quite cheap. early classics have a tendancy to kill engines on extended top speed type driving. weeping cam covers is common too. check the subframes for rust as they are real thin and tend to die.

for 1500 quid you should be able to get a 2001-2003 wrx uk wagon. I would have an impreza again in a heartbeat as a winter hack :) If you can find a cheap sti they have controllable centre diff , rear plated diff in some too for proper fun times

you could get a legacy b4 rsk or twin turbo bh5. all the bang without the insurance buck plus twin turbo and more powers. almost all auto though. manuals are expensive.

i would stay away from mitsubishi's personally. you might get a legacy vr4 or galant but they need servicing every 50 yards and the ayc systems are very sensitive.

4. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

I like foresters sat on impreza suspension , looks cool :)

:)

5. Paz

I'll look into the forresters too! I dont need a massive estate, just for safe dog carrying duties and fitting a bike in the back (BMX and Moutain bike with a wheel off, should fly in).

Good news on the insurance and theoretical price, as I want a bug eyed one really. There are some on ebay but not as many as i would hope, and i have huge trouble in trusting the sellers for some reason, im convinced they are all trying to pass on a turd lol.

I saw a Manual Legacy TT on ebay eariler, i again was under the impression that these were prone to breakings?

Terrible on fuel, or livable, just? I only used to borrow my brothers various Impreza's so never felt the full force of the fuel consumption.

6. kieran_e1

mid 20's combined i used to get , as long as you get one with normal gearing. the ra's have a close ratio box which tops out at 120 ish and runs more on fuel.

they are actually ok to run if you aren't stupid with the loud pedal. if you are putting a bike in one i'd look at foresters and legacy's. forester turbo is just as quick as a uk turbo and more room. grand dad looks though.

brakes are shite , wheel bearings are common failure. other than that just avoid impreza's owned by 20 somethings with all the stickers on :)

7. Paz

Well thats cool, i get mid 20's from the 5 series generally, and i do short journeys in that. Hopefully gonna get a UK car for insurance purposes, so no worries about getting an RA type, though thats what id really love cus those things are incredible.

Did Foresters ever come out officially? They do look pretty rank though. haha.

8. kieran_e1

plenty of forester turbo uk cars plus there are late model sti versions.

still look like big coffins though

i prefer these personally

SUBARU LEGACY GTB BH5 TWIN TURBO | eBay

2001 SUBARU LEGACY GTB etune Twin turbo £1800 cheapest on internet | eBay

9. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

[​IMG]

Not too fugly :-)

10. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

I had a uk turbo wagon and a forester.
    Hateful pos cars
    I've just bought an A6 2.5 tdi quattro sport avant, it's never gonna be as sporty as an imprezza but it's got 180hp, twice the space, twice the build quality, twice the luxury and twice the fuel economy for the same £1500
    Gonna be grand in the snow and carry a herd of dogs and a shoal of push bikes.

11. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Stagea :)

[​IMG]

Bad a s s

12. hybrid

hybrid Active Member

Uk foresters are 177 bhp I've had quite a few and they are seriously slow t35 turbo...
    Import stb forester are not to bad
    I'd have a classic impreza,super cheap parts,a seriously good tool in the snow and winter,and bargain prices..

13. hybrid

hybrid Active Member

But on the flip diesel pumps are a fortune,fuel pumps is a fortune,air suspension if you have it air bags always break...then there's the auto box once that starts hard shifting/ banging your doomed...I know as I I just sold mine 3 months ago and bought an impreza wagon for the winter...:)

14. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

Seconded, especially since it could look similar to this !

15. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Manual, no air, no problems. Did my research.

16. Paz

Insurance rape on stagea surely? Plus, it sure ain't gonna look like that for 1500 quid, and i plan on spending zero pennies on whatever I buy.

I should probably buy an Audi but I just don't dig em at all. Unless there was a 20v Quattro estate of some sort.

17. mattc

mattc Member

I used to run a legacy estate was a great car to drive and loads of room.

Can get a decent one for not alot as well. I ran mine for just under twleve months with no problems at all.

18. PhillE30

PhillE30 Member

I had a saloon wrx 02 plate and my sister had a 52 wrx wagon at the same time. Although the wagons practical its small, even with 2 people in the back their heads tend to be over the middle seat.

I couldnt wait to get out of mine, it was slow and for the money on insurance and fuel economy it really wasnt worth it,

19. Paz

I'm quickly finding the insurance is fairly stern on these things. Bit of a bummer

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you want a proper estate, a Legacy is the one to go for. I loved my old one.
    Can fit a whole cashpoint in the boot of one too. Can't do that with a Impreza wagon.