Rx7 fc diff/ mx5??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Dovey, Dec 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dovey

Dovey Member

Right well basicly the day after westonzoland drift day pulling onto a roundabout one of the half shafts that goes into the diff snapped and tried to put me ontop of said roundabout, my question is this, are mx5 diffs/ half shafts the same as rx7 fc ones?

The diffs look very similar from mine and one or two others mx5 diffs ive welded but the fc has a longer front casing (rear casings are the same) and i can't rember exactly if it is or not. Could i use an mx5 half shaft or do i need to change the diff over completely and will it fit/work. I don't want to buy an mx5 diff and find out it doesnt work haha. Before you ask i can't seem to find fc diffs anywhere atm so yeah help.

Thanks

2. john ps13

john ps13 Active Member

Na or turbo diff

3. Dovey

Dovey Member

n/a open diff not a lsd dude.

4. john ps13

john ps13 Active Member

I.ve got a na here but will be e few weeks before I get the back up to check what the diff is will have the shafts too as I.m swapping a turbo unit in

5. alexevans

alexevans Member

I have heard of this before, will see if I can dig out the source.

You will most likely need to obtain a 1.8 diff as that has the 7 inch ring gear.

6. alexevans

alexevans Member

7. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure there are some similarities some where. I got a KAAZ DBZ1810 lsd in my 94 MX5, it is also listed for the RX7 but not sure about model years...

8. Dovey

Dovey Member

Cheers lads much appreciated! John ps13 if u could let me no when u have it available ill prob have it off you :) no real rush thou.

Guna try a half shaft off a mates mx tonite and hope it's enter changeable if not I'll get a 1.8 diff :)