floating discs? help?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by smoody, Dec 8, 2013.

1. smoody

smoody Member

hi guys,

i bought my car (uk s14a) last year and it had a bigger brake it on, around 330mm

I'm getting some shuddering hen the breaks are rather hot so want to stick some new discs on even thought theres quite a lot of meat left on.

Ive seen the floating disc setups before but I'm not sure where to look to get them?

first question:

have you any idea what the discs on my car would be from?

second:

where can i purchase floating discs from?

Third:

Has anyone used the floating disc setup and got any input as to pros and cons?

Cheers guys!!:dw:

2. smoody

smoody Member

also by floating i could mean two piece disc rotors, I'm not sure if there is a difference.

3. H05TYL

H05TYL Member

Pulsing - Some people claim that floating rotors help in this area. Maybe. Most pulsing is caused by uneven pad deposits on the rotor and floating rotors will not help, in this case. If pulsing is caused by slight warpage or out of 'true' conditions, then it will help a bit. But if it is warped rotors, they will just get worse and worse and should be replaced.

If the discs have plenty of meat on them just get them skimmed and then bed them in again. (check the condition of the pads too, they may need replacing too, even if they have some meat left).

4. Andy_F

Andy_F S13+S15=S28?

They are possibly off a GTR skyline or a 350z, 324mm iirc just different offsets. I have grooved and dimpled R33 GTR discs on my S15 which are solid rotors. I've hammered them now for the last 2 years with Yellowstuff pads, around 15k miles including 2 trips to the Nurburgring and they have always been perfect.

I guess what I'm trying to demonstrate is that maybe just using solid discs isn't your problem.

5. smoody

smoody Member

Cheers guys, just found it strange that the discs seem fine when cold, don't feel warped at all! I'll measure them up and check against the drawings for the skyline ones and probably just buy a decent set of drilled and grooved, pads are pretty new so don't think it's that.

6. Andy_F

Andy_F S13+S15=S28?

That's exactly the problem - deposits from the pads will cause the disc to heat differently in different areas, this is what gives you the 'warped' feel.

7. smoody

smoody Member

Cheers guys :)