ECU master EMU

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by CarloLodola, Dec 23, 2013.

1. CarloLodola

CarloLodola New Member

2. dan4

dan4 Active Member

Yes I'm using one of these, only had a few weeks with it so far then took the car off the road for winter. Support from them is great and there have been plenty of upgrades as and when requested. Traction control, drivebywire throttle and CAN operation are currently in development

3. Karel

Karel Member

I made SR20DET, 2JZ GTE VVTi and S54B32 engines run on that EMU..... its very good ECU for very low price. Yes, you can buy better, like Motec, Pectel, Syvecs, but for how much ? You need to pay 10x more for this "Top" product if you want they know all what you get as free with EMU.

4. Ineednewtires

Ineednewtires New Member

I'm running the new emu unit on my 2JZ Vvti but can't get the base map configured correctly. Can you help me configure a base map to just get it started?

5. Karel

Karel Member

yes i can. post me your calibration

6. Ineednewtires

Ineednewtires New Member

here is the calibration file, i also included a log file and a scope trace on the primary and secondary trigger. i believe that is where the problem lies, in timing somewhere. all the wiring has been triple checked, i am getting fuel and spark, it chugs and burbles, even sometimes cranks up for a few seconds but i cant get it to run enough to tune. I'm running E85 and 840cc injectors. i also emailed you. thanks so much man!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-KprNX3Y5GEMEdVTFdsTjF4QjhYMzJRaTI3eHhsQ2Q2dWE4/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-KprNX3Y5GEc1Nqc0lYUDc0X3JaUGtoM3JJSmYtNGROSDNZ/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-KprNX3Y5GEV0dIVW9STjBsZy1vQXFVQzZuR3VLTkkxLXlj/edit?usp=sharing

#6 Ineednewtires, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  7. Karel

Karel Member

I have replied your email. It is normal that the ecu does not spark or inject fuel before it is synced. Nobody want taht the ecu fires on wrong timing and destroys your engine. Your datalogs shows, taht you are telling worng things to your ecu, EMU tres to sync somehow, but it reports timming errors, what is right. So look at my mail, try to set it, and capture new scope data.
    840cc injectors are not too big for E85. It will help you to maximaly 600HP on 6cilinder engine. E85 is not good idea to start up the engine with new ecu. Its hard enough to keep it start on cold weather even when everything works perfect. Dont understand it wrong, i like E85, but if i try to strat new engine, i will make it as easy as possible to me.

8. sulik

sulik Member

@Karel
    Got a question to you. :)
    I´m running a Soarer and want to use the EMU with my modified A340E automatic gearbox.

Is it possible to use the EMU for the engine management and the OEM ECU for the gearbox control?
    I thought that the OEM ECU can use the TPC, speed, throttle signal etc. to control the gearbox.

What do you think about it?
    Hope that you can hekp me. :)

9. Karel

Karel Member

Its not something what i would like. Making some "hybrids" like that is not a good idea. EMU does not know to control Auto gearbox at this time, but it can send revs, speed and other informations to outputs.
    Basicly, the first two problems i see are this:
    You need to keep OEM ecu to work without trouble code, so everything should work for this ecu. For example if you control injector using EMU, you need to put resistors to OEM ecu injector outputs.
    Second: If you use one sensor for multiple ecus, you can affect values with additional input resistence, or if some sensor uses pull-up resistor to 5Volt (like most termistors do), you need to disable it on one ecu, and the idea must be the same on booth ecus- So sometimes you need to double the sensors, and give one for each ecu.

So i see many reasons why not to do this.

Do you know the Ecumasted DET3 unit ? Its very smart piggy back and it can basicly just adapt your ecu to work with bigger injector, change IGN timimng, or you can remove MAf using that. Its also much cheaper.

10. sulik

sulik Member

Yes the DET3 ones are good.
    But i thought i would spend the money better in the EMU.

But in my case it would be better to run the DET3. :)

11. Karel

Karel Member

EMU is way better unit than many more expensive units others on market, but its difficul to use with Auto gearbox. EMU + manual = perfect

12. D r I f T

D r I f T Member

Hi
    Now we talking about the EMU ecu i'm at the midle of an instalation in my bmw but I have some problems with wiring.

What we connect on the power grounds?
    And this ecu receives ignition 12v or batery 12v?

13. Karel

Karel Member

Sorry but you should better ask anybody who knows something more than you.

Power Ground , simple to the ground
    Sensor ground - dont connect to the chassis ground, but use it as a ground for sensors.

ECU does not receive anything from ignition - your question is absolutly without idea.
    ECU does switch all outputs to the chassis ground. So if you have dumb coils, you connect the coil to the 12V and the other end goes in to the ECU, and if the ecu decided it needs to be fired, closes the circuit to the ground.

And what about VANOS ? DO you know how to wire up and what to do? Do you know you need to switch flyback diodes polarity .....

If you dont understand it, i can do it for you, or anybody else can do.

Save your money and time by trying mistakes.

Happy boosting

14. andi.semesta

andi.semesta New Member

Hi Karel. I am Andi from Indonesia. I need help with ECUMASTER on 2JZGTE VVTI. It would be great if you can respond to my email, andi.semesta@gmail.com. Thanks

15. Karel

Karel Member

Hi Andy,
    i am not going to Indonesia every week, so how may i helo you ?

16. sm887

sm887 New Member

Karel: "Drift" asked you a year ago if the ecu should recieve 12V+ from the battery or 12V+ from the ignition switch.
    I have the same question. Just bougth ECU master EMU for 2jzgte in my mk3 supra.

17. Karel

Karel Member

I find this word "receive" somehow strange to me.

You need to connect EMU like any other ECU. So if ouy will be able to switch it off, you need to connect it to the switched power supply. Than use one AUX output as "MAIN Relay" driver, and let all other voltage to be switched by EMU itself. This will cause, that fisrt emu software will come online, and after that will be powered anything else, like sensors, ignition coils etc.....

"Ignition" is something what i understand as ignition coil ....... But you mean position of key under your steering Wheel ?

Dont be angry, but if you need answer for so easy thing, like how to power up your EMu.... you cant know what to do with the rest..... Let it do someone for you, someone who knows what to do......

[​IMG]

18. vippetkov

vippetkov New Member

Hello, Karel can you send me a trigger setup and also vanus instalation wiring for S54B32 with EMU ecu master?Best regards!

19. Karel

Karel Member

CRANK:HALLToothed Wheel with 2 missingFalling edge6 cilinder0 First Tooth triggerTrigger angle 45CAMHALLEnable PullupMissing toothFalling EdgeOEM ECU uses Vanos like groud on middle and it swiches the end of coils to +12V.EMU must have +12V on the middle and it will switch end of coil to the ground.This is why you need to open the Vanos electronics box and turn the polarity of the Flyback diodes.................. i can make it all for you

20. vippetkov

vippetkov New Member

Hello, thanks for your answer.
    I made this manipulation with vanos. I try to start my engine with VAG coils, 850cc fuel injectors and the fuel is 100 octane gasoline. If it's possible can you send me base map about this set up of car, because all day i try and doing something wrong with setting.
    My email is petko_st_petkov@abv.bg
    Best regards.