What do YOU use to tow your drift car?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kket, Dec 29, 2013.

1. kket

kket Member

As I have been doing some research in towing, weights and licensing etc...

Very interested to know what people have been using to tow their drift car to track days/events and try to create a list of suitable and capable cars for towing.

Tow Car
    Make/Model:
    Wheel Drive: 4x4/RWD/FWD
    Gross Weight:
    Towing Capacity: (If know)
    MPG: (If know)

Trailer
    Make/model:
    Gross Weight:

Drift Car
    Make/model:
    Gross Weight:

Picture: (If available)

2. mat_91

mat_91 Member

People use all sorts of crap that in my opinion shouldnt tow with, even if its within weight limits bmw 5 series for example
    anything short of a decent 4x4 is dangerous in my eyes and asking for trouble, cars should not toe cars on trailers.
    Ive been around toeing cars/4x4 etc since i was very young and been in some situations where if it wasnt for the weight of the toe vehicle 2.5 tones etc it wouldn't of ended nicely,
    either decent toe vehicle Range rover, Nissan patrol, trooper etc and a good trailer or a beaver tail van are really your only safe options

3. kket

kket Member

Would you say that a BMW 5 series a good daily? Comparing with a 4x4 and they are not very fuel friendly :(

Thinking to get a daily that is capable to tow something over 1.5tonne and with good MPG and comfy etc... I know I'm asking a lot but would like to know, are they any people using their daily car for towing their drifter to practice days?

4. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

I have an a6 2.5 tdi avant quattro and it has a tow weight of 1900kg
    We used to tow an e30 race car all round the country on my mates dad's identical car with no issue and within weights etc.
    it could be for sale cheap this week as I'm after another car.

5. ryan72

ryan72 Member

This sounds good in theory, but as you say, the tow vehicle weights 2.5 tonnes. On younger peoples licenses you can only tow 3.5 tonnes (3500kg) .. so that only leaves you with 1 tonne for the car, trailer, spares, passengers, fuel etc etc ..

taken from gov.uk

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:
    A -drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
    B -tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)

A - trailer and car upto 750kg .. never going to happen seems as cars are 800kg+
    B - Max weight of everything 3500kg

The laws don't seem to be very well thought out!
    I agree, its much safer to use a heavy towing vehicle such as a range rover, but as you can see, its no really possible! Unless you have a very light car and trailer! lol

6. 340mike

340mike Member

^^^^ just do the proper licence.
    its very well thought out.
    It means that if you want to tow anything regularly you need to do your fecking licence....

7. bluecam'man

bluecam'man Member

nice bit of info

8. kket

kket Member

What I have gathered from the gov site, 750kg is pretty useless for anyone if they planning to tow trailer + a car on it.

Plus another point to consider is that you need a car that is capable to tow atleast 1.5t anyway, as trailer is like 400/500kg and a car (lets say an MX5 and thats 960kg) total of weight you will be towing is 1460kg and most daily cars like lexus is200 (mine) only has 1020kg towing capacity. Therefore a bigger car is needed for me :(

Furthermore the 750kg under towing for us youngers (held license after 1997) have no chance to tow, therefore like others have said a test must be taken B+E.

That 3500kg overall weight point creates so much confusions!

Hope this is right! Correct me if I'm wrong!