Levelling up from MX5...

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by moleson01, Jan 5, 2014.

1. moleson01

moleson01 Member

Hi guys,

I've had my mx5 for nearly half a year and take it driftland. It seems to have taught me a lot about drifting and is great for the next half year until my insurance is up.
    But, wanna know what you guys think the best next stage drift car should be for starting summer?
    Do you reckon finding a cheap s13 and restoring it over the next half year is a good idea? Or maybe just get a BMW missile when summer comes?

Cheers guys ;)

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Honestly wouldn't say a missile bm is any level up from a mx5 in my experience of em both. A weapon of one yeah, but your average bm 2.5/2.8 missile won't be.

But do you really want a project, ie an s13? They can be awesome cars, but a project is a big job, and a unreliable fragile s13 will piss you off in comparison to a bulletproof car like a bm or mx5.

Rather than 'levelling up' I reckon you should just buy a car you fancy next.

3. moleson01

moleson01 Member

well then ive always wanted an s13 so i guess the real questions would be how to spot and get a good base s13 to go with and whats the market price of one? ive seen tons over the last few years that appear good but have no idea what to look for.

- - - Updated - - -

well then ive always wanted an s13 so i guess the real questions would be how to spot and get a good base s13 to go with and whats the market price of one? ive seen tons over the last few years that appear good but have no idea what to look for.

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

levelling up??

What is this a fucking computer game??

5. moleson01

moleson01 Member

hahaha I just wanted to get my point across that I'm interesting in getting to the next stage in drifting from the 'Learner' car ;)

6. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Pick a car you like and run with it.

You gotta remember tho, you'll never have so much fun with so little cost as you do with your current five.

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

And your current five is far more capable than you think.
    It's no surprise after countless different drift cars I've had like 4 MX5 drift cars in a row.

8. murray

murray Member

keep with the mx5 you will get more skills from it. i drift at driftland and this year im using a mx5 as i used to drift my mint green 328

9. moleson01

moleson01 Member

My thoughts were much the same as what you guys are saying. My five is my daily so wont be going anywhere anyway, was really trying to debate whether it would be worth putting more power in it or getting an s13 which i equally like or a cheap track only BM.

Nice to hear that another five hits driftland also, were you at the NYE?

10. DH_

DH_ New Member

I'm looking at getting an mx5 and going to driftland
    From MX5 maybe go 200sx or Beamer 3 series coupe e36/e46

11. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Next on the agenda for me will be a JZA80, more power not that it is needed but i also think they look pretty fuckin sweet :)

Will be a project whilst i get to grips with drifting in the MX5...

12. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

Hi,

Firstly - please don't be offended by this in any way but:

From what i have seen of marshalling at the track when you have been out, there is still plenty that the MX5 can teach you. They go very well round the track, and i don't think you've particularly mastered all/any of the various drift techniques. There's so much more to come.

However if you did want another car, then by all means feel free. I'd just like to stick up for the little whip.

I've got the purple M3 that's sometimes at the track, but i'd be just as happy using an MX-5 infact I think some mexy time would actually help me. They look incredibly good fun. I've been going to drift days as much as possibly for nine years now, so I think one or two more years in the MX5 would do you the world of good.

Have a look on Youtube for Glen Lycett's videos of his MX5 around Driftland for a man who really enjoyed the car and track combo.

#12 ren_juanjo, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  13. moleson01

moleson01 Member

Hahaha no offence taken at all; obviously didnt think I had become a drift master in the times I've been up; was more trying to get advice on a car for later on in the year or even next year/money dependent and whether it was worth just working on developing the five.

I will have a look at Glens videos and would agree i have in no way mastered the techniques so that is great to find an five driver to try get advice off cheers.

Dont be shy to impart your knowledge if you see me at driftland next time ;)

14. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

It's this video i think:

Will do: likewise come find me i'll take you out in whatever car I have and you can compare/contrast etc.

15. mazdachris

Technically if you go from something which is difficult to something which is easy, that's levelling down. Not up.

16. RC3010

RC3010 Member

I too have an mx5 and have hit drifland, busy improving the five for this year though, cheap, fun and if you have skills and balls (currently lacking both) you'll get on well at the track
    I was there at NYE but spectating

17. moleson01

moleson01 Member

Sweet, cheers guys.
    Gonna start improving the five and forget about anything else for now.

Cheers xD

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you two already have a welded or torsen diff, drivers bucket seat, and lock spacers, leave the fucking things alone and learn to drive em properly.

It's the driving that needs to be improved, not the car.

19. moleson01

moleson01 Member

apart from an torson mines stock so imma just bucket seat and lock it, maybe hydro

20. RC3010

RC3010 Member

I have a welder and lock spacers, my car is off the road for the winter so I'm just improving a few bits, braided hoses, bucket ect. It's my baby, is it such a bad thing to spend a bit of money on it, I understand the idea of a cheap skids and it is, doesn't meanlaI can't treat it nicely

Seat time is the key but until then what harm is a few choice upgrade ?