Genuine or Fake??

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by pretzel, Jan 14, 2014.

1. pretzel

pretzel New Member

Hey guys,

So I bought a vehicle with a Momo deep dish drift wheel fitted and I'm wondering how do I tell the difference between real and fake? Only reason is because I've seen fake/ replica steering wheels and the quality of materials can be quiet scary.

My wheel has the leather (looks legit) blue stitching (looks good) engraved Momo logo and Momo horn button, but the way fakes/ replicas go these days.......how do I tell?

I've tried searching here and google but nothing for what I'm looking for.

Please Help :)

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Does anyone even make fake Momos?

3. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

4. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

very much doubt its a fake. ive not seen any fake momo wheels. there all nardi or omp.

and pretty self explanatory, if your worried about how tough it is, try and bend it. if it bends, get another one.

5. pretzel

pretzel New Member

Apparently they do, I have seen some online (bastards)

I have sort of tried that and so far so good. So guessing genuine? :)

6. pretzel

pretzel New Member

Yeah have tried the bendy test and is good so far. Nardi and OMP fakes are everywhere but over here in NewZealand I have seen a few fake momo's strolling around our local buy and swap website.

7. Escygt

Escygt Member

I can't see why you'd care. Either you're happy with the steering wheel or you're not. If you aren't, get rid, if you are, why does it matter?

8. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

well then im confused as to how you think we'd know?

9. retrodrift

retrodrift New Member

u can get fake momo wheels i had one before and it snapped they need to be banned! u will no if its fake if it bends alot real ones are solid

10. OBEE

OBEE Member

they do fake momo wheels, especially the "momo drifting" overall finish should be an obvious sign...

11. mazdachris

As long as it doesn't bend, it probably doesn't really matter if it's real or not

12. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

Cos fake ones break in an accident and hurt. Thats gotta be good enough

13. hoagy5

hoagy5 Member

On my fake Momo the engraved 'Momo' at the bottom middle is not engraved it is badly stamped into the metal and it is not painted.

On my proper Momo wheel it is engraved and painted yellow enamel.

You can get the fakes on Australian ebay, shipped straight from Hongkong to UK cheaper than from UK ebay HK-UK. It is pretty bendy and far from the quality of a proper wheel, but the suede doesn't last long on a genuine or a fake anyway.

On the genuine Momo all the stiching has come away and the leather is shrinking leaving a gap but it is probably 10 years old.

14. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

I've got a momo wheel I was told it was fake when I tried selling it I've tried the bend test and its strong so just kept it to chuck on cheap cars lol

15. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

If my face is going to smash into something id prefer if it was bendy rather than solid personally

16. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

They dont just bend they break. Then thats a sharp piece of metal in your face instead.

17. Kristian

Kristian Member

***** actual advice *******

A way to tell the difference, other than general feel and quality is that the momo with usually have the momo logo 'cast or engraved' into the wheel design if its a metal spoked design. If its an all plastic/rubber job, it will be embossed or cast into the horn centre.

In addition to this there will be a 'stamped' momo logo and number in the rear of the metal spokes if is genuine or branded into the rear of an all plastic/rubber wheel. This is always stamped/punched

This is production line stuff.

18. gynads

gynads Member

Thats either some hard ass driving or the wheel was made of HOB NOBS to break one!

19. retrodrift

retrodrift New Member

i had a the momo drifting one wich was fake and it snapped around the bolts thats bolt it to the boss ( didint tighten it up to much ) and then after a bit of use it just snaped around 5 of them and my mate has a omp one in his car wich is also fake and thats doing the same il try put a pic up later

20. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Fake wheels must fucking die, I went to get in my car that came with a fake wheel for a 100 mile return trip to my home and as I got in I leant on it and sheared 2 of the 3 spokes (I only weigh 13st)
    Had to drive back to the nearest tat shop to buy the cheapest replacement for the time holding the one remaining spoke and the rest of the floppy wheel, thank fuck for power steering