AE86 Possible Engine Conversions????

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by mattwelby, Jan 6, 2005.

1. mattwelby

mattwelby Wanabe Drifter

Ok ok dont go made at me for even considering doin this but i gotta look into the possiblites

can neone give me a short list of ne other availble options and ne photo links (if possible) of cars with these converions

i have found a few

sr20det

fc20 (honda s2000)
    f20c86-1.

4a-gze
    [​IMG]

thanks

matt

2. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

3s-gte, 3s-ge, 20B, 1jz, XE. name an engine and there probably an 86 with one somewhere!

3. Euge

Euge Loves Boobies

20B!!!! :nod:

4. Mr Doricar

Mr Doricar JDM Loose yo

Gze

Is easiest and cheapest! But be cool and keep it NA :) Vauxhall power man!

5. mattwelby

mattwelby Wanabe Drifter

I did find this guide but is a simple insight into it all.

Toyota 4AGZE 4AGE(16v) 4AGE(20v)
    AE101, AE92, AE82, AE86, AE70, KExx
    Usually referred to as 4A-GTE when converted to turbo, engine is a mostly bolt-in fitment in AE series, modification required for KE series. 4A-GZE most suitable due to strong internals, 20v head flows well and can give good results.

Toyota 3S-GTE
    AE82, AE86
    2.0L turbo from GT4 celica, requires modified 4WD gearbox or Camry g/box to fit AE82. MR2 variant can be made to fit AE86. Lots of torque.

Nissan CA18-DET
    AE86, KExx
    Inexpensive engine making good power. Use CA18 gearbox to fit, can use s13 front suspension.
    Nissan SR20-DET AE86, KExx Much modification required - crossmember, shifter position, tailshaft, etc. Easily upgradable engine with knowledge and aftermarket parts plentiful.

Mazda 13B, 20B
    AE86, KExx
    Again, much modification required - but both have been made to fit. Huge amounts of power available from the triple-rotor 20B.

Toyota 3T-GTE
    AE86, KExx
    1.8L 8valve turbo. Strong motor, used widely in early KE series corolla's for drag racing applications.

Dunno why mate but dont like Vauxhauls. The only thing that ever enters my head when that make of car is mentioned is "Nova" :smash: :cry: . Omg i didnt just say that. Sorry peeps.

If i stay n/a im gonna be looking for a high revving engine maybe fc20 if i can find one.

Got a mate whos well up for doing the conversion.

Its like which gbox to use with the 3s-gte Mr2 engine?

How much power can the standard rear axle take?

Im not planing on going above 250bhp if even that.

Thanks

Matt

6. Mr Doricar

Mr Doricar JDM Loose yo

Axles on 86's

Are shite! Mine used to snap half shafts all the time! Not the Orange one...one I had with GZE in it. I snapped 2 in a week once! :( If I can afford to get the 240bhp kit for the Vauxhall I'm gonna commit even more Toyota treason and fit a Ford axle to the car. It's a bit of work though!

7. mattwelby

mattwelby Wanabe Drifter

so if i ever get it to 200-250bhp im gonna be killing parts left right and centre?

what is jay running on his turbo corolla?

as thats gotta be pushing a decent bhp figure now.

matt

8. Mr Doricar

Mr Doricar JDM Loose yo

Yeah Jay is one lucky son of a bitch....he's still running stock axle! He is running a big boy Supra gearbox though. Got a bell housing adapter from the Orient somewhere to fit the box. Think he's counting down the days til his axle goes pop.

But to be honest Matt I think 250bhp in a Corolla is pointless. Just get used to it first. Corollas are all about balance. Get a proper diff and a bit more power and you will be happy. I have some Weber 40's that are gutted ready for use as Throttle Bodies. This should get you about 10-20bhp and a lot more response. I don't need them anymore as my Vauxhall needs 45's! I can sell you the Webers and give you details for all the other parts.

James

9. Colonel K

Colonel K Active Member

Theres a video of the 20B AE86 floating around the web somewhere.... its pretty mental! :smokin:

10. The Doctor

The Doctor Member

In the Netherlands there is an AE86 with a 3S-GTE.

As far as i know he uses an 4A-GE gearbox with Supra MK3 Gears in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only problem is, u need to find a GEN3 3S-GTE then, because it has a digital ignition system.
    All older generation's don't have that, and then some parts of the ignition don't fit in the enginebay and need some modification (as you can see on the first 2 pics).

I got the chance to sit on the passenger seat once.
    It goes like madness, 260+ is no problem.

Only that this kinda engine ruins the spirit of the AE86. It's good fun.
    It's the only dutch AE86 which can drive reasonable 1/4Mile times. LOL

//edit:

Besides the engine, every thing on this car is stock, so even the rear axle!
    He uses std. rims, just because he's afraid of the axle snapping if the rear tires generate more grip :)

But even with big grip problems in 1st, 2nd and sometimes in 3th gear, it beated a Supra MKIV 440 bhp Automatic, and a ~360 bhp Supra MKIV Manual Transmission in a sprint :)

#10 The Doctor, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  11. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

that car on option video was the fastest thing i've ever seen. you got the clip james? the 20B one with like 600bhp. i've never seen anything pull away like that ever :worthy:

12. CorollaRWD

CorollaRWD -RUTHLESS-

Corolla stuff will be ok if you keep the grip levels down ie 185 section tyres.
    Gearbox's are the weakess link. But thats a pretty easy fix.
    2 ways will give the driveshafts a beating if you lock it up on accel and decel
    Alex

13. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

:nod: right clicky save as ;)

#13 james, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  14. KristianAE86

KristianAE86 Member

15. mattwelby

mattwelby Wanabe Drifter

krist ne idea what axle is on that car?

Matt

16. Lennie

Lennie Active Member

17. Squeejy

Squeejy ---Can't Drift---

I know of two AE86s that run 2JZ-GTEs, their insane but I have no idea what gearbox or rear axle they run.

I would love to see a twincharged 4AGZE in an AE86. Does anybody know of one? I think that would have to be the ultimate.

18. 86jay

86jay -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

If your doing the swap yourself and its your first swap I would start with something easy a GZE would be a nice start even the GZE has its moments.
    I really like the idea of the FC20 or the RX8 motor swaps both are well over 200hp stock and N/A so should be very reliable just depends how cheap you could get a motor.

I so far have had no axel problems with my 185 tyres but it is only a matter of time I have 1 spare set of drive shafts at the moment and will just buy any others that I come across

Jay

19. 86jay

86jay -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

Oh if were transplanting the ultimate rotary the 26B is the only way to go 3 rotors is for gays :D :D

Jay

20. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

shoit! I've never even heard of a 26B! link us up mr J!!!