Anyone had issues with Nissans mapped by Tuning Developments please read

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Struggle, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

as above.

to cut a long story as short as i can.

booked my nissan in for a nice upgrade at a local place to me called Tuning Developments in Warrington.

the aim, which i informed the lads at Tuning Developments, was to make the car more reliable and therefore cheaper in the long run. i was to have Nistune fitted and mapped to around 320 BHP on my blacktop SR with 550 SARD injectors, an uprated boost controller and a Z32 AFM.

i collected the car from them with only 280BHP. the uprated boost controller i'd provided did not function correctly so they left the car on a bleed valve and mapped it safely to 1 bar. i was charged £800 in total for the nistune chip to be installed and mapped, to fit the Z32 AFM and to fit the injectors. i was told "don't worry just get a working boost controller and come back for another tune (at £300)" this annoyed me a bit as i'd have expected them to phone me when the boost controller failed to see if i could source another before tuning.

the car drove fine until it was drifted. when drifting it missfired badly around half way up the rev range sometimes missfiring so badly the car would pull out of drifts. it was almost like the AFM could not handle the rapid change of airflow and wasn't putting the fuel in.

i myself changed the Z32 AFM for a repalcement, changed spark plugs, changed coil packs, checked earths, changed alternator (fuel pump was brand new before tune) etc etc. sadly nothing fixed the car. i even checked the timing which was out by 5 degrees (yep they didn't check timing before a tune. a tune that set me back £300)

i got to a point when asking people that the only thing people were pointing towards was the tune on the map.

i spoke to Tuning Developments and tried to put the point across politely that the map may need looking at. i booked it in and took it to them for a good look over.

in the mean time a mate of mine had taken his S14 to Tuning Developments for a very similar upgrade. instead he had a greddy profec B boost controller, brand new nismo 740 injectors and a Z32 AFM. he wanted the same 320 BHP running reliably. it may be worth mentioning at this point that his S14 has sub 60K miles, and had one owner from new who died of old age. so a very easy life.

he got it mapped succesfully to near enough 320bhp.

so anyway back on track my cars in at tuning developments for a couple of days tops when me and my mate go on a drift day in his S14. the EXACT same issue happens. like absolutely identical issue!!!!! missfires when its driftng just as it comes on boost. his does it so badly it even cuts out. making drifting impossible and TBH dangerous as the car pulls out of drifts and cuts power steering as the engine dies.

so i ring up Tuning Developments at this point and tell them whats going on. i tell them that essentially we are both owed a good map (which was charged originally at £300 per car)

my mate gets pissed off with his car behaving like crap and decides he's had enough of the sport and buys an E46 M3.

Tuning Developments then went ahead and tried just about everything they could on my car, they claim including the map (they also claim they talked to nistune themselves to see what could be the issue and tried a couple of things suggested by them)

the car is with them for a total of 77 days before i picked it up.

previous to picking the car up i messaged them over facebook to see firstly where they were getting with it and secondly to see where the bill was up to. i'd again stressed when dropping it off that i'd been doing all this to make it reliable and save money.

the bill was now £900!!!!!! which i can say pissed me off in an unmeasurable amount. what also pissed me off was that the car still had the issue. infact they had told me the issue was getting worse. they claimed that the valve springs were to blame and needed changing.

which is strange as my mates sub 60K miles car was identical.

i decided i'd go and take the car off them before the bill got any larger. well and truly pissed off at this point.

i have since decided to break the car as its costing me too much money. its fair to say that this experiance has helped alot towards that decision.

i've since found a handful of people with the same issue. someone on instagram with an identical issues (who i will be contacting to add to this thread), a mate of a mate with an identical issue even though he rebuilt his engine with uprated valve springs prior to the tune, a mate of a mate who complained that his car was jumpy when letting off the throttle, a mate of a mate who had his car mapped to 330bhp with a holset turbo at 5K then dropps 100hp by 7K (guy paid over the phone and had car delivered)

this whole senario has owned me financially. i've paid £1700 plus the cost of 2 Z32 AFM and Sard 550 injectors to have my car turned from totally fine to a missfiring mess that i don't want to own and have since had broken for bits. i've waited 77 days without a car while paying for insurance on it and eating into the drifting season, i've also NEVER heard of valve springs being an issue. infact no i have once, but i find it hard to believe that this issue happens half way through the rev range, only when drifting and all of a sudden immediately after a map by the same company.

i need everyone who has had issues with these people and tuning nissan's to please post up exactly what experance you've had. i'm tempted to see what me and my mate can do to take this through a small claims court but if not i'd like to warn anyone who's thinking of getting a car tuned to stick with people with good reputations.

#1 Struggle, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

This is what gets on my tits in the tuning world more than anything "Mappers".

Every fucker claims to be a mapper, most can't map for shit, and as long as the car goes ok ish, they presume the fact its unreliable and shit to drive is just normal!

And even worse, you get what you describe, when they blame EVERYTHING but the mapping for the car not working right.

He never did say who's been supposedly mapping his car, but CRISPY D on here seems to be having similar issues, wouldn't be surprised if it's the same 'mappers'
    View Profile: CRISPY D - Drifting forum - Driftworks

This is why I only trust maybe 3-4 mappers in the WHOLE of the UK, as from experience, most, including lots of big names, are shit, and full of shit.

3. docwra

docwra Active Member

Bad one man, as you well know 320hp on an SR is not big numbers and definitely doesnt need valve springs to achieve. Did you get a power graph at all, if you did it might be worth putting it on rollers to see if its still doing the same thing as when it was mapped .........

4. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

One way to find out, speak to Jez or any other reputable Nistune mapper see if they can explain any possibilities I would of took it there if you hadn't already broke it etc

Maybe get one of your mates to do the above and take their car there.

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Hang on, reading your post again, you almost deffo ARE talking about Crispy D in the one!
    What's happened to him is a fucking joke!
    Makes good power at about 5.5k for the low boost it's at, but then power drops like a stone, despite having a turbo that will make power to and beyond the rev limiter on any SR, and then blames the turbo AND the boost controller (two things they will both happily sell him, funnily enough), and when he asks for details WHY there's the problem, they can't give one.

6. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

The only bad luck I have had with cars has when it has come to mapping.

BOTH times and BOTH reputable tuners which I did research on before hand because I wanted it done right ended me up with blown engines. Sometimes it just makes me wonder if I am better off giving it a go myself!

7. eddie_r32

eddie_r32 Member

I would take ecu out speak to some decent mappers like Jez who knows s bodys better than anyone and see if he can look at the map for you , prob wont be a free service but better than breaking youyr car and if a problem is found will be able to go back to original mappers and say " the problem is blah blah, fix it" , otherwise they will just keep blaming outher things on the car

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Same.

Reputable tuner everyone wanks over on here, car was very fast at full chat, but drove like absolute shit after, jerky and shit and random misses. I put the wideband on it and it was stupidly rich too, which is 'safe' at least, but this was ridiculous, in the 9s in places.

It blew up massively after one drift day, and it turned out the reason it did so was he'd not put a boost limiter in the map, so when the wastegate pipe melted there was nothing to stop it hitting 3bar+ and blammo.

But still, everyone recommends em.

Greg@Protuner is the only one I really trust with drift car maps now, partly as he is very very thorough, and partly as he understands drifting so makes sure the car drives properly in those situations- The jerky shittyness on/off throttle people end up with after mapping isn't normally noticed on road and drag cars, but in drifting it sure as hell is.

9. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Yep when my car is built its either going to Greg or Ryan at 2bar, hopefully wont be blowing shit up with a Syvecs and I will make sure the map covers all aspects of driving even if they got to have it for a few days to perfect it!

10. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Tuning Developments have a set of rollers at their place IIRC.

11. docwra

docwra Active Member

Ill be a little more direct then: Ive bought a car fro a well renowned tuner (at the time, anyway) and the power graph that was supplied with it was complete fiction, for a totally different car. Im not saying that TD have done the same but in light of these problems it might be worth £35 to check.

12. lukeyg

lukeyg Active Member

I had a local freind send his s14 to tuning developments for similar mods as struggle to be fitted and then mapped..
    Got it back and when coming off the throttle the revs would die and the car would try to cut out..

He took it back to them.. They claim to check the map and parts and said all was good..

THEY SAID!!!- "when you come off the throttle or change gear, keep the accelerator on a bit with the clutch down so it doesnt cut out"!!!!!! What the f**k kind of advise is that from somebody that has just mapped the car?!

13. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

Guys can we keep this to tuning developments only.

Yes they had rollers and it did do it on rollers eventually.

Valve springs are tyred and need replacing

14. parkers14

parkers14 Member

Hi fella..... I'm presuming you mean me luke when you say that???

So as above.... I took my 14 to them for a healthy set of upgrades (nistune,fitting of Z32,nismo 555's, new turbo intake pipe,hks mushroom filter,walbro 255)

I was aiming for the 350bhp mark.... Soooooo

They phoned me a couple of days after it had gone in.... Saying everything is going ok... But... Your wastegate is pretty crap... We have a tial f38 we can fit for £200..... So I agree... Couple of days later.... Another phone call... Your gizzmo ms-IBC is not controlling the boost... We have a G force 2 we can fit.... It's £250 plus fitting... So I agree...

I go to pick the car up a week later.... Pay them £1400 cash and have a car with 326bhp and 316ft lbs.... I'm chuffed to bits....

I drive away happy as Larry get into stockport and notice that after I come off boost the revs die and so does the engine... Dangerous nearly killed about 27 kids walking across a crossing..... But anyway... So I call them, no answer I ring another 14 times no answer.
    Send them a message on FB when I get home telling them to call me ASAP.... Then never do.... By this time I have also now noticed that they have curbed the SHIT out of both passenger wheels.... Now I might add that the wheels were brand new and did NOT have a mark on them when I dropped it off...

I finally get hold of them and miles reply is the car was fine when it left them and when they were testing it... And they definitely didn't scuff the wheels....

After numerous phone calls and arguments there best reply is "try catching the revs between 1500-1700 rpm so the engine doesn't die...."
    And way... Months later I take the car down to Ed at fusion Motorsport a 190mile trip... A day off work unpaid so yet more expense!!!!!! after being recommended by a friend... He removes the ecu and there's a lock on it.... I phone TD "can I have the code for the ecu please" there reply.... NO! Ok fuk you!!!

Ed manages to crack the code which is 1988 ( many of you may need it and it will most likely be that which is a memorable date to them..... )

Has a look and it's due to the fact that they havnt changed the injector cycle for when it's on boost or some shit like that... They have also altered parts of the original map that the car will never reach (no need to change them...) they have also added gear limiters you name it .... Completely fucked it up...

Well ed sorts it out .... Re remaps it done by a live mapping session which took ALL DAY!!! more and more expense then on my way to another 190 mile trip home!!

Car now runs absolutely PERFECT!!! I can't recommend fusion Motorsports enough... Ed is the absolute boy!!! Knows his stuff!!!

Just last week a got a £120 refund after many arguments with TD for a wheel refurb!!! (Also took a huge chunk of TYRE!!! )

My name be chris parker.... Add me on FB (picture of me stroking a huge tiger) guys if you wanna know more :)

Hope you get everything sorted buddy :)

15. pwalker

pwalker Member

tbh i wouldnt use them again after i baught a fuel pump and fpr from them....later turns out to be rebranded ebay parts for double the money :/

16. CRISPY D

CRISPY D Member

well compared to you ive only had a slightly uncomfortable experience,
    i had been in contact with td for 6months or so or while building my car regarding bits i would need and what route to take ecu wise. time came for mapping i got someone to pick the car up and deliver it to td, i spoke to them prior to sending the car, i told them i wanted it safe.

i have breathing mods
    stock sr20det with ras
    z32 afm
    jecs 660cc injectors
    holset hx35 12cm
    walbro & adjustable fpr
    38mm turbosmart wg
    hybrid performance mani
    aem tru boost controller

a few days past and i had heard nothing so no news is good news right?
    i rang them and my car was ready to be picked up. was told it made 338hp and whatever the torque was and that the boost tailed off a bit at high revs and it might be the holset maxing out as it has a small exhaust housing. was a bit gutted that it was only 338 but thought woteva it will be ok so i paid over the phone,( £750 for nistune fitting mapping etc,fuel, new plugs,z32 fuel filter,remove one of the springs from the wg, moving z32 away from the turbo and re plumbing the fpr as i had plumbed to the wrong side of the rail.oops) i was ok with everything and sorted for the car to be returned to me.

the next day the car returned and i saw these

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/phil339/Stockport-20140129-00175_zps725b7454.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/phil339/Stockport-20140129-00174_zps998ffecb.jpg

i rang them as soon as i could to see why it dropped so much power and was told ''buy a garrett they work properly'' this ticked me off a bit but i thought il have a good check ive done everything right on the car. so that was left like that.

no blowing gaskets, boost leaks, exhaust restrictions everything was as it should be.

rang back and said surely it cant be the turbo, again was told the garrett way would cure the tailing off or it could be my boost controller misbehaving. so it was left that i would test the boost controller

boost controller hold 1.6 bar on my mates car

started checking stuff a bit deeper, checked the base ignition timing and was horrified that it hadnt been checked, i know this as i couldnt even see the timing marks until id been at the pulley with sandpaper to find them, anyway i checked it. 10btdc which is 5 degrees out.

rang them again and told them about the timing and was told it doesnt matter because it can be advanced all through the revs and that it was still most likely the turbo. by this time i had stopped listening to him and just left it that i would get the turbo checked out.

i have probably missed a few things but its 100% honest no bullshit

the thing that gets me chewed the most is the fact i didnt even get a call saying he was having troubles what do you want me to do?
    it could have gone so many different ways but neglecting the fact it drops 100+hp when im paying over the phone isnt the best way to take £750 of a new customer. i just paid and found out when i got it delivered back to my place.

they make exactly the right noises on the phone but when it comes down to it i have had no help from them on getting to the bottom of the matter and now the car is back with me and i aint paying a 1er to get the car moved there and back again.

i feel saddened that i am having to sit down and write all this but it needs to be said.

i wouldnt have been bothered in the slightest if he had let me know there were issues or at least just told me he didnt want to work on it.

i could understand if my car was a turd but it isnt

make what you think of it but i see no point in further contact with TD and i am cutting my losses

any way i have had my say. overall lacklustre experience

if anyone can point me in the right direction please do

17. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

was this sarcasm? or did you really think £1400 to fit some injectors and do a quick remap was a bargain?

18. Clive

Clive Active Member

As on Facebook

If a company mugged me off I would never go back.. Unless demanding it was sorted for free.

It's the soft people with too much money for why these 'tuners' are getting away with it..

19. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

The reason everyone seems to be having the same issue is probably because they will just be copy and pasting the map. That way they only ever had to map one car and the rest of the maps will only take minutes.

Nice cost saving exercise :thumbs:

20. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

Clive as on facebook I took it back saying it was the map and assumed they would check the map, rectify and not charge because they had already charged for the map. I also said once paz's had issues that "you owe us both a map"

Just running away to another tuner when they owe you the work you need isn't a good idea. I gave them a chance. And you know what at one point I nearly believed them about the valve springs despite it basically never happening but after I've heard so many people having issues with them I thought it was about time I kicked off.

The other stories wind me up even more.

There lack of communication is dreadful. I may add that it took about 4 messages and 7 days to get an answer to my "how much is the bill?" Question.

I gave up ringing and just messaged the owner online. That took long enough though.

Its just an all round dreadful experiance and I never want anyone to have to deal with the same thing. Its a bloody good job I earn good money. A £900 bill would totally ruin the avarage mans life on here. The way they never said "oh btw ed your bills now over 600 what do you want to do"

I will add that in the testing things out stage they fitted an aftermarket actuator....which then did fuck all. I kicked off about that one and they billed me nothing for it. No doubt they added it to the other things I was charged for so I ended up paying in the end.

Yes mate a funny way of saving money. Paying £2.5k near enough to fuck my engine up.