Mx5 HYDRO

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by joetheeskimo, Feb 24, 2014.

1. joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo Member

anyone fitted a hydro handbrake to an mx5 1.6. I want to fit one to mine to stop having to use the clutch to initiate a drift.
    my handbrake is terrible on my mx5 but pads and disk look ok. Ive adjusted the handbrake but still doesn't help.

Any ideas would be great.

2. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

When drifting at Pod in the pens doing figure 8's you won't need a hydro. In the wet on the big track I use the handbrake in my MX5 on the top hairpin bend only (and only in the wet generally). I drift the rest of the track by keeping the momentum up and maintaining a pendulum swing to link the bends. Hydros often slow you down which isn't great in an Mx5 as speed is the key with the low power.

Ian :)

3. joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo Member

I did a day at santapod forgot about that.
    Recently been practing on oval track with two chicanes in the middle. all second gear.

My handbrake does nothing when trying to initiate thats why i was wondering about a hydro, i can pull my handbrake at 40-60 into a corner and nothing happens doesn't even break traction.

4. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

There is an adjustment allen key on the back of the rear brake caliper, with a rubber boot covering it. You jack the rear up, let the handbrake off and turn it until the disk slows then wind it back slightly. Do both sides, then adjust the screw on the lever itself to give about 7 clicks to full pull. This can help a lot. Google it for a full guide.

Ian. :)

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

A handbrake is literally the last thing an MX5 needs, and the worst thing to start using when trying to learn to drift good.

And going by your other thread, you really really don't need a handbrake

6. OliH

OliH Member

Iv was thinking about getting one for mine, i have the 1.6 aswell, and it seems there is no point on track because of the lack of power, but what about small space drifting ? would it work for that, especially in the wet ?

7. status unknown

joe, i found my mx5 at smeatharpe on the weekend fine, all that was needed was a big flick, infact i hardly used the clutch to initiate and was only used to get me through the corner

8. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

OliH, if you need a hydro when drifting an MX5 in a small space then you're probably not using enough throttle. In the wet surely the stock handbrake would be fine (mine is), unless it's knackered?

Ian. :)

#8 Blackett, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

no and no.

hope this helps.

10. OliH

OliH Member

Haha short and sweet, thanks

11. stichy

stichy Member