New driver insurance

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Aaron328, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Aaron328

Aaron328 Member

Well, I passed my test last week and I'm finding the insurance quotes crippling, does anyone a few names of company's that are fairly cheap?

Thanks.

2. milsom93

milsom93 Member

It's been asked a lot this question and it will vary vastly from person to person as there is so many variables but Elephant and Admiral have always been the best for me. Going to be steep for the first year or so no matter what. What age are you if you don't mind me asking?

3. Aaron328

Aaron328 Member

Yeah, it seems like they just don't want young people driving.
    I'm 17, can't buy a beer but can legally drive a car :lol:

4. milsom93

milsom93 Member

I'm 20 now so it's getting a lot better for me but I've just been through it and it's a stinger but if possible just take the hit. I would also lay off a drift car for 2 years or so until you have some experience and then go for it but if your committed try an old Volvo or maybe an MX5. All depends on available funds really matey

5. JosephS14

JosephS14 Member

How much is it for you Aaron at 17?

6. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

Buy a car that someone your age wouldn't drive. I've never paid more than 900 quid for insurance and I've had an IS200 since I was 19. My mate bought an old jag at the same age as me and his was even cheaper than mine. You'll probably suffer the equivalent cost in petrol though, so it may well be swings and roundabouts. One thing that did shave off a fair chunk of cash when I was younger was putting my dad on as a named driver.

Edit: I started off with Admiral and I've been hopping insurers of the same parent company since then.

7. bear.

bear. Member

-Buy a micra/306/206 etc
    -Insure with Co-op
    -They have a drive any car third party
    -keep the shitter road legal, taxed and MOTd
    -buy whatever car you fancy in your mum/dad's name ... They must own the car and be the registered keeper otherwise you can't drive it third party
    -insure your mum/dad on that (you don't need to be insured on it at all)
    - drive the skidder on weekends or whenever you want to enjoy it

I wouldn't advise driving daily in the skidder as it's pushing it a little, but it is fully legal to drive it a few times a week. You may get producers from police if stopped, but you just turn up with the relevant docs and they shut up.

8. Aaron328

Aaron328 Member

Oh yeah, I'm not looking for a skidder on the road, i would either kill myself or lose my licence.

I'm looking to be insured on a new-ish 1.4 fiesta (mums car :lol:) and it was around £1800 on go-compare with her on it too.

9. bear.

bear. Member

ah ok, admiral or elephant and add 3 adults (doesn't really matter who)

10. OllieEN

OllieEN Member

elephant = a subsidiary of admiral, been with them for the past 3 cars... paid half my old price for double the horsepower in little under a year, crazy change! they seem very flexible if you change cars a lot too but the only catch is their rules on mods insurance... you're simply not covered for that component (smash your brand new rotas... tough luck kiddo) but everything else is treated as standard

11. Marcar

Marcar Well Spoken Man
    Staff Member

Definitely have a proper look into this sort of thing before committing to taking out any policies. Lots of insurance companies used to operate this sort of scheme, but then became wise to it when lot's of young drivers were suddenly writing off obscure car's that were bizarrely in their parent's names. Very similar to young drivers often just having themselves as named drivers on "their mum's" 1992 Polo, which happens to be running on lowering springs and has £1000 worth of stereo equipment listed. The insurance groups soon figured it out and put a stop to it.

As a result, most companies that were operating the 3rd party cover on driving other peoples cars, cancelled it until drivers were over 25. Funnily enough, I was 24 when elephant phoned me up to inform me that that perk had now ended on my insurance cover but would be re-instated once i'd turned 25.

Don't feel disheartened, cheap(er) insurance is out there, but you just have to really search. As others have mentioned, adding older drivers (mum/dad/auntie maureen) etc is definitely a good idea. I'm 26 now and still add my dad as a named driver reducing my yearly policy by over £200! ...despite the fact that my dad does not drive the car.

What I will say though ...and most importantly, to everyone, not just the yoooof's... Don't ever be tempted to lie about mods, previous claims, or convictions to get cheaper policies. I promise you it will 100% come around and bite you in the arse - seriously hard. For those that think insurance companies don't talk, believe me they do. In fact they have a database that constantly cross references drivers names addresses, previous policies, and DVLA records. I know of 2 close friends and a work colleague who kept their convictions a secret from their insurers, (one of whom's policy had ended for 3-4 months!) and both got a call from the insurer/previous insurer threatening a court summons for fraud and demanding a big fine + the difference in policy cost for the undisclosed convictions. Both paid out a seriously painful sum of cash.

Fun fact of the day - Life is poo poo for young drivers, and there is no escaping it. We've all been through it one way or another.

12. bear.

bear. Member

Co-op is one of the only ones I know that still offer perk and it is definitely still available for under 25s.

13. Zender

Zender New Member

I remember my first insurance £2500 for e36 318i((

Try insure the box or tesco box insuarance.

I had insure the box on my passat 1.8T with 2 years nocd and 2 years driving - £800 fully comp and 5000 miles a year, and they will not bother you unless you have an ancient or go other your miles.

I've done over 100 mp/h in my car with the box, they didn't say anything to me and even offered me a renewal.

But if you decide to go for the box, read the agreement not all companies the same and it is cheaper to go to comparison websites. My tesco quote was 700 on the website, but on comparison website it was only 566, strange...

good luck

14. axelg

axelg New Member

Try yepmarket. They seem have a good deal when it comes to car insurance for under 25 years of age. Rates not only vary by age but by location also.

#14 axelg, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  15. moleson01

moleson01 Member

Im 20 and Zenith have come up with best insurance for myself and mates.