R32 trying to keep a car for once! Bullshit content warning.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Elmo, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Elmo

Elmo .................

I've been on this forum for ages and never actually done a project thread, mainly because the longest i've owned a car is 9 months.

I'd actually quite like to keep this car so i'm doing a project thread to try to stop me from selling/swapping it when my brain aids acts up.

Anywho I swapped this [​IMG]

For this
    [​IMG]

Probably seems like a good deal, it was. The BMW was a good car but i couldn't get on with it. The R32 ran like a bag of shite but didn't sound broken so the deal was done and I now own my 5th skyline. Whoopppeee.

So I got my pal to come and look at the car for me because i'm mechanically inept. He did some shit, turned some spanners and it ran slightly better. We then took the inlet pipe off to discover the car ran better with a huge boost leak ie as an na. We the susequently found out that the stock side mount intercooler had many, many holes.
    So this is what happened,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It still ran like a bag of shite, so ruling out boost leaks we (well i was present) investigated the fuel system. The pump in there sounded terrible, a little like a small animal being tortured so that was replaced. When the fuel pump was being replaced we noticed that the fuel was brown, the fuel tank had rusted. The tank was drained, de-rustified, a new fuel filter, Walbro and £20 of shell optimax later it runs nicely!
    This is the shite that was found in the fuel tank
    [​IMG]

Now it runs and moves under it's own power it was time to throw some wheels on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then cleaned the wheels and my cars
    [​IMG]

The car has a few rot issues so it's currently off to have that sorted, I feel like i'm bringing the car back from the brink of death. It's gonna get used hard when it's finished.

I want to say thanks to Addisons Recovery, Connor's Car Centre and Nispro. Mainly because i'm an annoying twat and these guys have helped me massively.

My plan is to use it and upgrade the bits that break. I'd also like to make it look a bit nicer. A bit like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, I'm going to drift the car too. Well that's if I don't sell it 1st.

2. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Good effort dude, you seriously dragged that shit out of the tank???? Fuuuuuuuuuck!!!

3. Ped

Ped Member

Scary that was in the tank. Cat looks a little like mine in general - except black. I like to keep an eye on the 32 builds for tips and ideas. Keep it up.

4. stevie-p

stevie-p Member

Top shit bro, so glad somebody with some brains and cash now has it, just a shame I couldent get it done! I love where its going though

5. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

R32's are awesome. Good luck with it dude, seems a good base to start from.

6. Elmo

Elmo .................

Ha i'm not sure about the brains and I definitely don't have much cash lol. I just seem to get lucky!

I still can't believe the crap that came out of the tank. That photo is only about 2/3rds of what actually came out.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

7. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

I had a similar fuel contamination issue years ago on a twin tubo v8 MGB, in short I needed a new engine, so good work sorting that out!

8. Confusion!

Confusion! Member

He already sorted it out. It was a fuelling issue.

Great car mate, What's your plans?

9. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

10. Confusion!

Confusion! Member

Oh shit. Sorry thought you said good luck sorting it out lol.

11. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Hah! It's monday I'll let you off ;-)

12. Elmo

Elmo .................

Bloody Monday's! Most suck.
    To answer the question of what my plans are for it, I'm going to use it.
    After the rust has been dealt with I'll get the cam belt changed and hydro plumbed in then drift it. When it breaks I'll upgrade what I need to. I doubt it will be a mental project thread. The wildest thing that may be on the cards is an Sr swap. But that won't be for a long time.

13. stevie-p

stevie-p Member

Seriously so happy you have her dude, at least ill see het the way I wanted her!

14. Elmo

Elmo .................

I'm gonna try my hardest to make it awesome and drift it. The main thing for me is to get it all sorted, reliable and get used to the car. Hopefully i'll be able to progress my skill level too.

15. Confusion!

Confusion! Member

My friend may be breaking his R32. You need any parts?

#15 Confusion!, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  16. stevie-p

stevie-p Member

fingers crossed we cross paths at an event one day

17. Elmo

Elmo .................

I do need parts but I do not have any money.

Steve i'm sure I'll see you around at an event somewhere dude.

18. Elmo

Elmo .................

A little bit of progress has been made with the r32, the welding has started and i've purchased a few more parts for the car.

Firstly I had to buy a new sump pan, the sump plug had bludgeoned into the sump and there was a large amount of sealant keeping the oil in the sump. A quick trip to Garage D and a new sump pan and magnetic sump plug are now ready to go on the car.

With all the welding that's being done I was advised to get rear overfenders A, because of the rust on the arch and B, 18x9.75 wheels rub on the arch. I bought some overfenders off of Yorke on here (good guy to deal with), and they will soon be getting fitted to the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With making the rear of the car wider i decided to buy some 25mm vented wider wings for the front of the car, I got these from eGay little bit of damage but they were cheap so I can't complain.

[​IMG]

Progress has been a little slow this week, I took a week off work between jobs and unfortunately partially tore my achilles tendon and damaged ligaments in my foot falling off of my truck on my last day at work. Not being able to walk sucks, but it has given me the time to research a few parts for the car and find a few good deals.

Next things to do on the car are get the cambelt and auxillary belts changed, get some uprated coilpacks (not sure what ones to buy yet), get some new coilovers, tension rods and steering arms. After that i'm going to drift it and see if anything else needs doing. I might go for a larger turbo and injectors soon too. Bye bye bank balance!

19. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

I almost bought those wings! Were a good price tbh nice one.

20. Silvias_own

Silvias_own Member

what will you change on the engine ?