rb20det information

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by aarondim, Apr 23, 2014.

1. aarondim

aarondim Member

Hi if anyone has seen my previous post about which engine to get for.my r33 been told rb20dets are awesome for a drift car been.told (stavros) has a thread on a build just carnt find it just wanting a.bit more information on the engine and installation process

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

3. aarondim

aarondim Member

cheers pal i need a.engine that can take a batting rb20det are a solid engine ain't they? And good for 400bhp with right tuning plus there farily cheap seems a perfect combo for me

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

They have mega thick bores and super short stroke, so can take abuse brilliantly.

I'm confident with the right tuning they can do 400bhp reliabily, mine was around 450bhp on the 100% stock un-rebuilt unknown engine and was absolutely fine until the wastegate feed line failed, spiking boost to 3bar and cracking some piston ringlands lol.

5. aarondim

aarondim Member

Mate that.car you.had was.Fucking AWSOME Id like a close to standard engine as can ture it how I like it also to know it hasn't been.fucked with by a dingbat

6. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

And stavs rb20 is still running fine :) not had too much abuse yet but plenty of b road blasting and no issues

7. Reaver

Reaver New Member

The RB25 isn't exactly a pudding when it comes to taking some stick! It should cope nicely with a fair bit of welly and I wouldn't put anything less in a 33

8. aarondim

aarondim Member

Rb25s are he'll of a lot more expensive then.the.rb20 ino some folk may not like the fact it'll be a rb20 but personally I like the sound of it

9. aarondim

aarondim Member

Been offered a tall engine rb20det. I'm wanting to know is it possible to use any thing of my rb20de on the conversion

10. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Nah not much will be used, maybe AFM and intake plenum? Injectors will max quickly so will need some uprated ones along with turbo and manifold to hit your goals.

The thing is RB20's are getting to be an older engine, they were discontinued in '93/'94 so are over 20 years old now. And R33's are heavier than R32's so having the torque of an RB25 would be better.

Dont know if you guys use the RB25DE engines with a turbo conversion over there on them but in NZ it's quite a common conversion for competition and amature applications.

Higher compression so less boost needed and better response, and they are only NZ$300 engines over here. We used one in competition with a TD06 and Link ECU and made a reliable 275rwkw (350hp at wheels) on standard internals. Others have hit over 300rwkw with no problems.