E38 728i Manual conversion

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Big.D, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Big.D

Big.D Member

Hi All i have just purchased a 728i with the m52 engine in it which was fitted was also fitted to the E39's and a few others with manual boxes. i was wondering if any ones manualed a 728 before from a bit of research it seems relatively simple I'd need to sort out a gearbox mount and custom prop and i've also been told i may need another master cylinder and to run a new line to the slave cylinder. I think e39 pedals fit up. And i think i need to do something with the electrics to make the car think its in park or it wont turn on. Can anyone think of anything i hadn't considered?

Many Thanks
    Dale

2. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

If I was going to manual a 7er. It would have to be a v8 one. They are massive cars, not exactly rapid even with the v8

3. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

I've had 3 740's and a 728 honestley I wouldn't bother the 728 is so underpowered and is only a few mpg better than the 740.

[​IMG]

4. Big.D

Big.D Member

Hi Guys cheers for the responses i get that 728 is under powered etc but i couldn't insure a v8 one and my car came up at the right price. My questions were only regarding the method of manualing the car and not about the power side of things as i was aware there isn't that much in it.
    Dale

5. brennon

brennon Active Member

Dale, I told you how to do it all.
    Maybe bring a notepad next time you see me?
    Or cross reference all the parts on realoem. Many manual 728s were made and all the parts are on there.

6. essexmk1lad

essexmk1lad New Member

could bits be modified from a 328i sport set up to transfer onto the big 7? sounds feasable