Clutch lasted a grand total of one drift day....

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Pete_the_Russian, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Pete_the_Russian

Hey y'all.

A few months ago my housemate bought an is200 to learn to drift in. After the first drift day, he killed the clutch that was in it. That shit pretty much blew up, no other way to describe it.

Anyway, he went and ordered an exedy oem clutch for an is200 from fleabay. I think that cost him around £150 delivered while there were other identical exedy clutches on there for over £200....

So, long story short... Fitted the clutch with a new flywheel and everything...Bedded the clutch in and went to a drift day. Now the clutch is fucked again. It hasnt exploded like the last one, but its hardly got any bite left and is slipping like a bastard.

Now, is it actually possible to kill a clutch in one drift day in a low powered car? Or was the clutch just shit, or possibly fake?

Opinions?

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Probably a fake, he didn't buy it from Techniclutch did he?

3. Pete_the_Russian

It was from Euro Car Parts :confused:

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Should be ok then, can you raise a Paypal claim?

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Somehow I doubt drift days or general abuse are covered under warranty.

I've seen people wreck good clutches within one drift day by basically not knowing what they're doing, mostly doing what they think is clutch kicks, but are in fact mega huge clutch slip things.

6. Pete_the_Russian

You could, but I reckon it wont work in this situation, lol.

I just wanted to know if anyone had ever come across a clutch like that. Its just so strange that the clutch died so fast. Personally, I have never drifted with an oem clutch, so I wouldnt know how long they last on a car like an IS200. Saying that, my mx5 has an oem clutch and its been going strong.

7. Pete_the_Russian

LMAO! I suppose that could be looked in to. He is pretty new to this clutch kick/slip thing.

8. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

2 Things....

1. If you see something on Ebay thats a good chunk of cash cheaper than the others then its likely fake/poor quality. IMHO buy from a reputible seller, I would avoid Ebay for everything.

2. Yes its easy to kill a clutch in any car. As Stav says if he's been working the clutch like hell and not just giving it a little kick then it'll kill it.

I'd say if he's murdered 2 clutches it may be down to driver error more than clutch problems.

9. Pete_the_Russian

Haha, learning to clutch kick properly is turning out to be an expensive lesson for him :D But I can also imagine that trying to get an is200 sideways with a torsen diff can be a bit frustrating and requires some clutch abuse. I think you guys are right though. Definitely driver error in this case.

10. Jites

Jites Active Member

Get Ed a Paddle clutch of some type? I had an organic in the Datsun which was fine until I skidded it, Failed shortly after then bought paddle which last years of much more savage abuse

11. Pete_the_Russian

Probably will have to. Im getting kinda tired of changing clutches every month now, haha.

12. Jites

Jites Active Member

then get him a real clutch ;)

13. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

14. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

I bought a clutch from euro car parts, lasted 4 miles till it shattered into 4 peices

got a replacement no bother

15. Iggy

Iggy New Member

Oooo not good

16. Jamie1st

Jamie1st Member

Take it back to euro, if you're lucky you can even claim labour time back ;) but they should replace no problem, however, it could just go straight off again. So I'd get a refund if poss!

17. Pete_the_Russian

Hahaha. Bring back a chargrilled friction plate.... 'Um, guys, why the fuck you sell me this crap shit?' Obviously not gonna mention the fact that its been though a drift day.... possibly two..

18. Jamie1st

Jamie1st Member

Blag it, feed em bull shit haha. All they're bothered about is clocking off, soon sort it for you

19. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Yes, be dishonest and blag someone cause you fried something.
    Nice.

20. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

This

Buy cheap buy twice and all that, who would be stupid enough to put a standard clutch in a car that's going to get drifted/abused its not designed for it.

I wouldn't even buy an Exedy at all unless its one of the top end twin/triple plate ones but then I'd even rather go elsewhere and get the same spec clutch for cheaper