Daily beater, family car advice

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Damien, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Looking at buying something suitable for moving the kids. Weird how I left the UK a few years back with a garage full of drift cars (some I still own) and now I'm returning with a family :wack:

Anyway, It'll need to be a 4 or 5 door beater. It'll need to have some grunt or I'll be bored and despise the world.

The motor I keep looking at are audi S4 Avants (the v6 bi turbo model), anyone had any experience with them? The spec looks great on them all, they seem to be able to handle a fair mileage too.

I've had enough Subarus to be sure I don't want another. Possibly a supercharged merc... but the auto box puts me off. The randomer would be the XJ6 XJR (4l supercharged straight 6) BUT never even known anyone who had one and the engine size would mean london parking permit cost would be mental.

What do you drive / what would you recommend?

2. Joshy

Joshy Not Impressed

Turbos are a weak point on the S4 2.7T. Engine out to replace them, the front end has to come off to change the cambelt and in standard form they aren't that quick. Of course the sensible thing to do is when the engine is out fit some RS4 turbos, clutch and other bits and enjoy an easy 400bhp+.

If I needed a daily I'd have a XJR V8 without a second thought. 6s are more 'old school' and durable but the interior puts me right off them. Saying that, the V8s weren't available as a manual, where the 6s were, if you look hard enough and are willing to spend enough money.

3. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

The sensible thing really is a lexus 2J ala Aristo. The other motor that I've found myself checking out is the merc CL. I've always bought jap, not sure why I think the family thing has to be euro but I guess I just fancy a change.

I've read about the S4 having crap turbos and it being an engine out job... saying that a scooby cambelt is an engine out job so if you look at it in that sense it's not too different :D

4. bell

bell Without patience

Cheap hack... I have a 940 turbo estate for sale manual aswell. Safe with children... Also can be made faster.
    Although the volvo badge seems to put people off, god knows why.

5. Gymbob

Gymbob Active Member

Evo or Audi rs4?

6. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Probably not on your radar but I just bought a Volvo S60 D5, awesome car for a daily, roomy, fucking awesome stereo, 5 cylinder noises and 185hp with plenty of remap potential.

7. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

If I could budget as RS4 I wouldnt be checking the S4 ;)

No cheap hacks. Cheap means undesirable and unfullfilling (generally).

I'll check it but volvos are generally pretty unattractive :wack:

8. markturbo

markturbo Tarmac scrapper

I've had a V8 XJR recently, there great daily smokers :smokin: Auto box for daily duties is fine and suits the car.

Mine had uprated supercharger pulleys/exhaust etc and was pretty quick for a leather sofa :nod:

9. Mr Greggles

Mr Greggles Member

LS400. Look cool on wheels and coilovers, brisk enough to be fun and have a v8. I happen to be selling one, so this is a totally unbiased opinion.

10. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

I had a look at your car. However I really dont want anything in that unattractive- styled-on-a-brick type car. Yes it's got a V8, however I wouldnt really call it brisk.

If all else fails the Datsun 510 sitting in the garage has 4 doors.

11. Mr Greggles

Mr Greggles Member

You mean you don't want a car styled on something between a block of flats and a crashed 80s merc? Crazy. In all seriousness, modern Saabs don't look bad, are super safe and tuneable. Or A8s cost fuck all now and that's a LOT of car for the money.

12. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

How old are the kid(s) how many do you have??

To be fair having a quick car is a good laugh, but having something to keep the bastards entertained for 5 minutes is even better.

13. bessell

bessell Member

14. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

15. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

How about an e60 530d, I get average 38mpg, it's way quicker than the 218bhp would suggest, it goes around corners on rails, and its so so so so so so so so SO comfortable.

16. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Probably not quite what you're thinking of mate but I always liked our Mitsubishi Grandis Warrior (2.4 petrol).

It was nice to drive, had full leather interior, was comfortable up front and in the back, it was reliable, easy to keep clean and absolutely spot on for the kids on long journeys with the DVD player and IR earphones in the rear.

We sold the 2.4 about 5 years back having had no problems with it at all, then after a few years without one we opted to buy another.
    For some reason we went for the 2ltr D-ID Warrior version instead which is much better on fuel (30's rather than 20's) however it's nowhere near as nice to drive as the petrol. I've got a Disco now but my wife still has the Grandis for doing the school run and she finds it really easy to drive/park.

The 2.4 petrol (auto) is pokey enough and looks and handles more like an estate car than a 7 seater MPV. Loads of boot space and well spec'd for the price

17. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

2 babies, 13 months and 2 months... it was a productive year! I'm specifically looking for a fast car. More something kinda modernish, creature comforts and not a boring family car which struggles on the motorway.

Dave no more recent picture of you please x

Not sure if it would be in budget :/

I was tempted by a 4x4 but couldnt quite work out why I want one, other than I'm a short fucker and cant see over the steering wheel of an S-body!

18. rosh17t

rosh17t Member

Im gonna be getting a VW Passat Estate for a daily, aiming to get a 08/09 plate, tdi 150 and some BBS LM wheels too.

19. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Passat would have to be a w8. Hard to justify otherwise.

20. colinjy

colinjy Member

What's your budget ?