Broken Cam cap bolt....

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Gnarkill102, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

SO yea started doing my lifters as ones ticking like hell and then this happened ...

[​IMG]

Ive started drilling into it with a left handed drill and its not budging ... what other options have i got No fricking way am i doing the cylinder head id rather replace the whole engine

Ive noticed another one has broken in the past and seems to have been retapped with a larger bolt but no idea how they got the broken one out

2. 200sx-s13-1993

Hello
    Gnarkill102

Have you try'd to use a easyout, it work's like the left hand drill but will grip alot better, hit the part of the bolt thats still in with a punch or somthing to try and loosen it before you use the easyout and that should get it out but if not drill it out with a bit just shy of the size of the bolt then tap it and put bigger bolt in, it dont have to be much bigger to work.
    Hope this helps :)

#2 200sx-s13-1993, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  3. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Thanks man I don't currently own an easy out kit but there is a few on ebay with Thursday delivery so i might just order them and wait until Thursday to attempt much more to it , In the meantime i can enjoy my new Rota's which arrive tomorrow lol

If the easy out does not work i will just drill it and oversize tap it with a new bolt

4. 200sx-s13-1993

No porblem, i would't buy a easy out off of ebay, they break in and give you more greaf, id get one good one from a motor supplier, ie trade part supplier and go for a draper expert one, there good and dont cost loads but are more than flebay shit, think for that size should be about £10-20 but it has way better chance of not braking in and making things wores for you, iv been there and its shit :(

#4 200sx-s13-1993, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  5. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Yea your pretty much Fooked at that point ? machine shop ... as its hard as nails metal in the easy outs from what i heard. I noticed the last person to break one of the other bolts never bothered to drill it out and just tapped some threads above it.... looks scary to me only about 2-3 threads deep

6. Jamie D

Jamie D // NO DREAMING //

drill a small hole into the top of snapped bolt, hammer in a small torx drive socket T20 is what I use, then put ratchet onto socket and wind it out like undoing a normal bolt. never failed me using this method. works on exhaust studs etc too

7. 200sx-s13-1993

not a good idea as you will put the pully out of balance and could though the belt etc...

ie iv done this also and does work, only thing is with the amount of hitting to the alloy pully to get the torx to grip can brake the pully :(

8. Machine monkey

If all else fails I might be able go get it spark eroded out. It will take some bribe/ beer money for the boss. Or it might have to go through the books but I am sure I can do stuff during my lunch brakes to help keep the price low.

Or I can post you an easy out set as long as you post it back?

9. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Farck thats very helpful attitude mate lol i appreciate it, but i think im going to try and tackle it first on my own , will go to my local machine mart and try motor factors for a half decent easy out and tap and die kit and see how i get on , i now have two to drill out including the one the previous owner decided to tap on top of

10. Machine monkey

No problem buddy its nice to get help in an hour of need. PM me if you need anything or i can help.

11. jabran200

jabran200 Member

worst case measure the depth, mark the drill bit with the length and use a helicoil/timsert kit and put in a new thread and drill the old bolt out and place new thread in.

12. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Ok ive drilled right through it and ive steped up to a larger drill and drilled through again , cant go any larger without hitting the head or damaging the threads... got two questions, if i managed to get whats left out with an Easy out , how do i go about getting a replacement bolt ? ie its a strange style flat section then a threaded sections , or should i just tap it to a larger thread and use a larger bolt but that would require drilling the cap itself to accommodate the larger bolt, Or does anyone know the Standard bolt size of the original cam cap bolt and i can just hacksaw one short enough ? Does it need to be a certain grade of metal if its only going to about 12nm ?

- - - Updated - - -

I also think its going to be difficult for an easy out to remove as the remaining part of the bolt has not budged at all in the course of drilling , neither down nor up

13. simonlpearce

simonlpearce Member

Just buy a replacement like for like bolt either from the dealer or from ebay or any other bolts and fasteners type shop.

I would also go down the route of tapping in a torx bit as you will get much better bite with that than you will with an easy out. And you can use various different configs of breaker bar to get it going.

Also i take it you have dowsed it in penetrating fluid??? Pointless doing anything until it has been soaking for a good 5 or so minutes.

14. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Great , doused it in WD 40 for a few minutes then tried the hammered in Torx piece i was very careful and gentle and now i have a snapped torx piece inside the snapped bolt... im fucked

15. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Contemplating pulling the head now im so peeved off , the heads fucked anyway , Two helicoiled Exhaust studs and 2 snapped cam cap bolts .... just dont want to go down this road again as my last engine even after i got the head skimmed and the block decked wouldnt seal again worth a damn

16. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Ended up drilling as far as possible, drilled out and tapped to 8mm and the drilled and tapped the cam cap 8 mm bolt with a fair amount of threads deep was all I could see happening without head off and machine shop, screw it the engine is on borrowed time anyway

17. Machine monkey

Man this sucks if you where not so far away I could probably help out. Helicoils are not really a bodge they work really quite well. Just make sure you don't drill over size and they are at the correct angle. Don't give up a challenge is a good thing :-)

18. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Cams are in and the tapped threads I made seem to be holding