Kingu's S13

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Kingu, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Kingu

Kingu Member

So figured I should probably start a project thread, have been lurking on here for years now so is about time I piped up! :euge: Hopefully will keep it updated as the car progresses :no:

This first few posts are going to be long ones and will probably be VERY picture heavy, but will try to run through it as fast as I can really just to catch up to the point i'm at now..

So heres the first picture I have of when I brought it home and on the driveway

[​IMG]

Bog standard S13 prefacelift spec, with original cassette player and rusty boot!

Spent a bit of cash getting it mot'd and on the road, heres a picture of it with my brothers car (at the time S14.5)

[​IMG]

So bought some BC coilovers barely used at a good price from someone off here (I think off here, maybe not) and tried on some 15" 4 stud comps up a mates shed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loved how the car looked on smallerish wheels so decided id try it on 16's, so I bought 5 stud hubs off Norfy, had my disks drilled to 5 x 114.3 so I could keep the standard rear set up and bought some 16 x 8 et 0 offroad steelies that are heavy as f*** and tried to fit some 205 55 16's on them, was a bit monster truck spec!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They stuck out a bit so I maxxed out the front camber adjustment on the coilovers to try and keep them within the arches, didnt really work hah

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took some fitment yo! fisheye lifestyler pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arches were solid enough so got hold of an arch roller and did some magic, was pretty happy with how they came out for a first attempt! hard work though, was sweatin like a pig!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

by this time my brother had swapped the 15 conversion stuff and kit for a set of grids and bought a standard 14 front and painted it the wrong colour LOL.
    [​IMG]

So by this point I had started to get the car somewhat ready to do a drift day, so bought some solid rear DW bushes, fitted a welded diff and some 205 50 16's on the front and started playing...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course, I did a crash and used my old car to tug it back out like new ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So loaded up for my first drift day, after pulling off the ghey pinstripes and lower black stripe off the car and did some skids

[​IMG]

To be continued on the next post...

2. Kingu

Kingu Member

First drift day was awesome...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All was good apart from nearly smashing myself in the face with my steering wheel when the threads on my ebay boss decided to strip :wave:

So bought myself a lifestyler wooden OMP wheel with OMP boss... not my legs btw :euge:

[​IMG]

Did more drift days, also tried some door to door action with my cousin in his MX5, plenty of thrills and near spills!!

Video (last 2 minuites of near crashes and lol bits are worth a watch) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started to get pretty confident, did a drift day in the soaking wet and ended up crashing into my mate on his first drift day hah, pushed it back out kinda like new again.. recurring theme here.. :nod:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welded up a rusty hole in the sill and fitted some new bits including japspeed rad, hoses, air filter, DW solid steering bush, braided turbo lines and some S14 touring skirts that were cut down to fit..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painted skirts and splitter black and added some lifestyler stickers..

[​IMG]

Did more drifting and got some sick snaps taken by Al @ E11evens media
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more to come....:wave:

3. Filthy Animal

Filthy Animal Member

Subscribed, nice 13. Seen this down Pembrey a few times looks like it goes well too.

4. Kingu

Kingu Member

So were almost up to date now..

Around this point Ive started to get bored of how the car looks.. little battered and bruised for sure! Also entered the Open Drift Championship as it runs at my local drift venue of pembrey ;) picked up some support from E11evens and Kinzuru autosalon also which is cool!

[​IMG]

So started to try and figure out what direction to go with the car, so I tried on my brothers rotas...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They completely changed the look of the car, me and my brother couldnt believe how awesome it looked, pictures really dont do it justice! realized 17's are whats up!

put my wheels back on and physically felt sick.. :cry: so got my sorry ass onto ebay and managed to sneaky win an auction on these puppies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wheels are borbet B's 17 x 8.5 et 13, tidy bit of dish and came with decent 235 50's, will eventually swap to some skinnier tyres as they rub loads at the moment, but the car looks totally refreshed, just what I was looking for! Once I fit different tyres wheels will also fit spacers to loose some arch gap :nod:

even the girlfriend and cat approved :nod:

[​IMG]

So this is currently how the car sits:

[​IMG]

So plans for the car are full SR20 swap, as much as I absolutely love my faithful little CA, my brother has decided to break his car and has offered me full SR20 set up at a price I seriously can't refuse!

So theres a few bits I wouldnt mind doing at the same time, new engine and gearbox mounts, cleaning up the wiring, and painting of the engine bay...

So will try to keep this updated as I go along :) :wave::wave:

5. Kingu

Kingu Member

Cheers dude, bit of a long winded start but its all down now :D

6. Filthy Animal

Filthy Animal Member

Have to start somewhere dude. Looking good.
    Those wheels [emoji7]

#6 Filthy Animal, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  7. jackyg rs

jackyg rs Member

Looking seriously smart! What size and et were the rotas you test fitted with tyres?

8. Kingu

Kingu Member

rotas were 17" 9.5 et12. filled the arches nicely

9. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

how did you go 5 stud?

10. Kingu

Kingu Member

5 stud swap was pretty straight forward, got some 5stud hubs from s14, some new s14 front ball joints and put 14 ball joints put into s13 lower arm, you can use 14 lower arms apparently but theyre, longer so I stayed 13 and had my disks drilled to 5 x 114.3 so I could keep the s13 rear set up :)

Fronts will be upgraded to s14 4 pots at some point though ;)

The rotas and the steels are for sale also if anyones interested? ?

#10 Kingu, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  11. CMR

CMR Member

Don't usually like s13's but I do like this one. Maybe it's because it's actually used and abused I don't know lol.

Seems a shame with rip the working ca out without giving it a fitting death, unless you are planning on selling it that is!

12. adam-dorward

adam-dorward Member

Loving the wheels bud suit it well

13. Trystan19

Trystan19 Member

Looking good Danny ;) looks sick on the grids ;) get bunny kit going and those rotas will look even sicker ;) hehe

14. Kingu

Kingu Member

Haha cheers dude :) Has been an awesome engine to be fair, solid as a rock. Have tried to keep it standard as possible and only upgrade stuff like the cooling etc.. more to try and preserve it than up power.. most people throw a big turbo on and expect 300+ bhp out of a stock 25 year old engine, then call them crap when they go pop! Will most likely be sold, if I had space to keep it and find something else to put it in, I probably would!

Does look sick on the grids to be fair, but once these are spaced out on decent tyres itll look better ;) nothing beats dish homez! and you wont find a rocket bunny kit going near this!

15. bridgeking

bridgeking Member

sick 200 dude how much did u pay for the 4x4 steels and where from .......?

16. Kingu

Kingu Member

Can buy these for £250 with tyres ;)
    2 have new autogrip tyres, less than 100 miles on them and other 2 have fairly legal kumhos with a bit of camber wear ;)

17. lee+jo

lee+jo Member

Lookin good mate nice little project this

18. Kingu

Kingu Member

Just a quick update, have been buying some bits to get the car ready for the SR swap..

Trying to get everything ready and set so it hopefully will go in smoothly as I have bought a ticket for Drift Matsuri and dont really want to do it with stock CA powers, so now have a pretty serious deadline!

Have the engine sat ready and waiting in the garden, closely guarded by the dog :thumbs:
    [​IMG]

So I've bought some of these :D
    [​IMG]

Also have bought an ebay spec toyosports catback exhaust, did read up quickly and supposedly a decent fit :nod: (cringe)
    and an ebay spec engine hose kit in BLACK. :wack: (double cringe) I badly need new hoses as my brother has fitted temp sensors etc to some of the hoses so they needed replacing as I'm not going to be running so many gauges.. trying to keep it simple!

Also have a bit of welding to do to the back of the front cross as my MOT man wassnt happy with the job that was done for me last time, so im going to be re doing it myself this time around :(

So fingers crossed it should all go together smoothly, my brother just scrapped his 14 shell so there is now space on the driveway to get on with the job.. its just a matter of finding the time outside of work! :wave:

Research suggests it will be a relatively straight forward swap, I think I have all the parts I need, its just the wiring will be the awkward bit, but I plan on setting my brother loose on that part with his tecnowizzardyness :cool:

Also have pinched my girlfriends camera, so hopefully can get some half decent pictures..
    Will try keep you guys updated, Wish me luck.....:dw:

[​IMG]

19. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

The car's looking good.

20. Kingu

Kingu Member

Quick update..

Got the car jacked up and started pulling bits off a few days ago,
    [​IMG]

After a few of these, finally managed to get the engine pulled out this mornin, will need to drill them out at somepoint :smash:
    [​IMG]

Spent most of the day degreasing and cleaning all the crap off the engine bay, changed my mind about painting it now, it cleans up pretty good! going to touch it up in a few places and itll be good enough :nod:

Heres some before and after shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

always thought the engine bay was grey haha, its practically white!

few jobs to get on with tommorow, going to drill out the spotwelds on the battery tray and have some welding to do on the front lower cross, but its getting there :)