E36 radiator & fan upgrades?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dirty, Sep 25, 2014.

1. dirty

dirty New Member

Guys, I've searched through google and read some different threads with conflicting info regarding what way to go for upgrading the stock cooling system on a 328i e36.

Firstly i I want to get rid of the viscous fan setup, I've read that all in all the ebay aftermarket electric fans are shit. So therefore I was looking into getting hold of an air con fan and hard wiring it for as and when I require it. I've read that people run a 5 series setup which has a bigger rad? Can anyone expand on what 5 series model or recommend a good value setup I can run.

If u know of a decent thread then by all means post it up and I'll have a read. Thanks.

2. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Get an m3 alloy radiator off eBay (120ish quid) 44mm thick.

Get an e30 coolant expansion bottle and a couple lengths of hose.

Then get a volvo fan (any volvo from 96-05ish) with a 2 stage fan relay.

Finally get a 318is radiator 4 pin temp switch.

This setup will give you a massively effective electric fan (cam draw up to 50amps on high speed!) with a proper 2 stage speed. No switches to fuck around with. And fits with the volvo shroud for effective cooling.

Also the m3 rad setup means the Coolant system will be self bleeding, and the radiator is slightly wider without the bottle mounted on it.

Basically your car will never have any overheating issues, and it won't take hours bleeding the shitty cooling system
    system again.

To add to my point. They use these fans over in the states (same as ford taurus fans) in massive offroad trucks running big boost and basically flooring the truck everywhere with obviously barely any airflow going to the rad.

#2 zornyan, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  3. dirty

dirty New Member

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice.

4. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

Leave the viscous fan in and the shroud, big ass fan off ebay £30 no more cooling problems for mine. I do need a temp switch fitted tho as I do forget to turn the fan on now and again.

5. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

i dont run the viscous, have a big M3 alu rad, two spal fans and a revotec thermostat controller.

Change your water pump for one with a metal impeller as well.

i dont overheat and im running 480hp

6. dirty

dirty New Member

I have got the thermostat housing (metal) did attempt it get the water pump but it was plastic impeller so I'll have to source elsewhere. Will have to look at oil coolers aswel. Need a breaking m3 ideally.

7. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Euros do metal impeller water pumps
    Wouldn't bother with a metal thermo housing as the machining is shite and they need flattening. Yet most still leak if you don't use a load of rubbish
    rtv

I used 3 different metal ones that all leaked each time with new gaskets and with/without rtv.
    Bought a gen item from bmw that's been fine ever since with no rtv

8. dirty

dirty New Member

I was at euros who I have an account with and they gave me a plastic impeller which I returned.?

9. Dylan russell

Dylan russell New Member

Wat is the volvo fan out of exactly, im looking for and new aluminium radiator and a volvo fan and i wabt to b buying the right one.

Thanks

10. Dylan russell

Dylan russell New Member

Wat car exactly would i get the volvo fan out of. I can get 1 out of a 1996 volvo s40 2.0 petrol would that do the trick

11. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

I run a vectra fan on mine, moves plenty air and comes with a cowling.

12. Faniel321

Faniel321 Member

Trying to find a good solution for my e46, what vectra did you get your fan off like year and model etc ? Thanks

13. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Fuck knows dude it was a vectra, go to a decent scrap yard with the measurements of your rad and have a look about see what fits your needs.