why is there a washer in my 2way?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by _tommy_v, Oct 25, 2014.

1. _tommy_v

_tommy_v Member

As the title says really? maybe a stupid question but im not the brightest of people when it comes to diffs and gearboxes but it definitely doesn't look like its suppose to be there.

Its a kaaz 2 way diff, bought from driftworks with less than 50 miles on. all its done it a rolling road map at horsham developments. I took it apart just to compare it with a welded one to a friend and noticed the washer??

The washer as shown in the photo is situated in the centre of the diff, between where the two shafts go. it is loose and can be span 360 in its position, however isnt small enough t be removed from the diff.

any advice/insight is welcome.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1194149866959.541221.506421958&type=1&theater

2. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Definitely doesn't look like it's supposed to be there..

3. Si-Sideways

Si-Sideways Member

How thick is the washer? if its only thin (less than 1mm) it could be a shim from behind the sun / planet gears (if your diff uses them that is) the other reason it might be in there is someone may have put it in there to stop the diff internals spinning round and falling out in transit, but you said you have had it fitted?

either way the circumference of that washer looks smaller than the diameter of the drive shaft hole so you should just be able to get a screwdriver in the washer and pull it to the side so it comes out, failing that if you can post some better pics i will have another look!

4. speedykonzales

There was a washer on our oem lsd diff also, same place. I just took it out.

5. StusyGTSR

StusyGTSR Member

Ah these not the shims used to "calibrate" the diff.

The spec 1 R33 uses a 0.8 shim and the spec 2 (as I found out) uses a 1.1. I bought 2 0.8 shims to make it 1.6, but thought sod it and left the 1.1 and added the 0.8 to make a 1.9. Now a very nice tight diff. Does drag at low speed corners a bit :)