Saving private R32, communist edition. Mad resurrection inside.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ElTorro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

I figured out it's about time I'd start a build thread here.

So I've got me an absolute shitter: 1990 HR32 n/a a/t, which was brought to Russia in 1998, got impounded from some drunk dude and after 2 years of rotting on a police parking lot, it was bought by some cool dude who transported it 10k miles from one end of Russia to another.

During the 2000s that car was a:
    - ICE and car-sound show car
    - Victim of some painter, who did an awful tribal job
    - Grocery getter for someones mom.

So after a rough 12 years in Russia I finally rescued that car from an infinite loop of hillbillies and ricers to finally USE the car. Had to sell a VERY nice e39 to get this.

Here it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There it is. N/A RB20DE, fucked auto tranny. NO performance mods at all. Bodged overfenders to cover rust, riced out wings, crazy tribal paintjob, stupid amount of sound-deadening and 5kg of random audio wires. Springs were so chopped that car was sitting on bumpstops, even without load. Don't forget "awesome" 7J et+45 wheels.

Please don't leave yet, it's not gonna suck so much in the end.

After that I tried to socialize with local nissan owners club, only to realize that they are a bunch of pricks who meets every Saturday on a underground parking lot to brag about their shitty datsuns. Needles to say they were afraid to go on track because they could break their priceless 20 years old junks.

[​IMG]

After that I thought "fuck it, I can make this car work".

Modified a hood to get rid of that stupid look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a missing headlight.

Sanded it and got rid of the stupid 'eye" paintob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did a ghetto paint job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also ordered a fresh 69 000km RB20DET, manual gearbox, HKS Hi-Power silent exhaust since stock bodged exhaust FELL OFF (slow n/a uncilenced cars are so. fucking. retarded).

[​IMG]

Finally, swapped old n/a auto for a fresh turbo manual.

[​IMG]

Have you ever been so furious that you've beaten your auto box with an auto prop shaft to the point the bellhousing was in that state? I was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and I also sold my god-awful wheels to buy a FMIC kit.

Got me a Gtr pump (failed after 1 day), fake Walbro (failed after 6 months), currently on genuine Walbro. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Of course, welded my diff.

[​IMG]

2. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

Done a drift day. Was damp all day, so I figured shit out very quick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that, everything was fine for a few months, then my car blew a turbo gasket and being a retard, I've done a terrible job of changing it, which resulted in a fight over the massive missfire.

Sidenote - I don't recommend to work on the car outside in -27*C. It's SHIT and I've snapped a few bolts. Duh. No garage though.

While still fighting the missfire, I've got me a bargain, almost new coilovers, Cusco Zero2E.

[​IMG]

Changed the ride drastically. Also got me a possibility to not be a snow plough.

After a LOT of fucking about, we found the missfire was a result of old sparks, dead coilpack and my horrible turbo gasket job.

That was 1 year of me owning this little bastard.

This year everything went good.

Changed the LCAs for R33 ones, installed rack washers. Everything on the street, remember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FUCK YEAH RED ARMY FIELD STYLE. (Disclaimer - my buddy got me this jacket from the army, hella useful for repairs and to intimidate hobos)

Got me some US ford focus lip (I shit you not) and free rice-spec bomex skirts.

[​IMG]

Done a comp day, qualified 16th out of 43, but got put up against pro spec jzx90 and failed miserably. Oh yeah, I don't have any handbrake. Massive flicks and clutch kicks ftmfw.

[​IMG]

Painted the ricey sideskirts, got a pair of weak Eurolines for pennies.

[​IMG]

Done a couple of drift days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 ElTorro, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

Then these babies arrived. Had to get them. Fake as your girlfriends bra, SSR SP1 R17 9J et+20 ripoffs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't give a fuck if I'll die in a massive ball of flame, these looks badass. Rear fitment was still weak though.

Got me a pair of +40mm spacers, fucked Gt-r wings and bumper, which resulted in this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done another couple of drift days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I love about the stock engines, you don't have to worry about breaking shit, everything works spot on all day.

Then there was the last day of this year. It was wet, it was fucking fun, drifted for 5 hours straight, done a LOT of twins, got myself filmed a few times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crazy camera guys sitting in a trunk of LADA filming me doing shit on track, mad props to them!

[video=youtube;2u89YDCAaXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u89YDCAaXU[/video]

[video=youtube;qL7vr_w9pLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL7vr_w9pLo[/video]

You know, just because you can't be the best drifter in the world without eurobeat blasting at full volume...

[video=youtube;yTDUbzsoQhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTDUbzsoQhw[/video]

So, current specs:
    • HR32 1990
    • RB20DET '93
    • Manual box from japland
    • Welder
    • Cusco Zero2E coilovers
    • R33 LCAs
    • Washers in rack

• Depo boost gauge
    • D-Max style overfenders
    • Gtr bumper
    • +40mm spacers

Car is at garage now, waiting for:
    • Driftworks rack spacers with overcenter correction
    • Rear camber arms because I need normal geo at the rear.
    • Uprated ally radiator
    • Oil cooler
    • Bucket seat (done a full year with stock 4door one, SHIT)
    • Hydro (stock drum setup is dead)
    • New disks, pads, BMC
    • Non-ghetto painjob

I am thinking about getting a wideband and ebc, but that's another story.

Current plans - continue driving it, HARD.

#3 ElTorro, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  4. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

best write up ever, love your i dont give a fuck attitude

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Brilliant! Funny as fuck thread, you did an awesome job of sorting that pile of shit out, esp in those conditions, and it looks fucking awesome in red to be honest!

Love it.

6. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

Haha thank you. I'm still at the uni, just got me a garage. Any other attitude would've got me into a massive debt and/or fetal position. You know. Stay strong. Do shit.
    Haha

7. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Doing stuff at -20*C is not easy. I couldn't done it without all my mates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And talking about conditions, where else can you do shit like this? Saint-Petersburg is a 7mil city of a beautiful palaces and wold famous landmarks, populated by strange and funny people. You can pull of a lot of stupid shit here!

[​IMG]

8. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Hahaha awesome, car looks ace!
    Top job.

Best colour for them! (Winfield)

9. Fin

Fin Member

This was the best damn read! Hahahahaha Love your work dude! Always digged the look of a r32 buuut they're not common this side of the world, uni budgets and lack of time sucks biiiig time, not fun trying to drift on the crap budget! Good luck for the rest of the build mate!

10. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

Cheers!

Next year I'm going for a little less ghetto paintjob, it's going to be a same gloss red, but either in vynil or paint, haven't decided yet. My mate wrapped his civic himself, looks fine for the price (circa 150quid). No idea about red, I think I'll get a couple of meters of vynil and will try it on something like a wing of a hood.

Paint is double that, and bearing in mind how I treat my car (you know, storing a lot of sharp things on the roof, kicking stuff, scraping stuff), I doubt I would be able to use the car to its fullest.

I hear you! They are not very common here either, we are LADA country after all haha
    And drifting on a crap budget - 90% of tyres I've burned through season were from some open scrapyard. Also, winter tyres smokes like fuck, but delams quite easily if overheated.

#10 ElTorro, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  11. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Brilliant fist thread for a project! Well done on rescuing the R32, respecto!

12. Steve1093

Steve1093 Member

Literally one of the best build threads I've ever read! Can't wait for some more updates haha :)

13. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Wicked thread, miss my 32, great to see you still getting to practice days along the way as you were sorting out the look and mods to your taste.

Ian. :)

14. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Best resurection read i've seen in a while, and considering the conditions makes it truely amazing.

Your future mods are completely spot on, oil cooler and alloy radiator are both great choices. I would suggest grabbing some thin alloy sheet and bend up some ducting to make full use of those, a decent alloy duct on an oil cooler will see decent temp drops (~20deg C). Cheap and easy.

And keep an eye out for an R34 RB25 turbo on Japan ebay/yahoo auctions, wakes these engines up nicely, and cheap, and bolt on.

Oh, and check out: https://dsd32.wordpress.com/ Dan has an R32 2 door on the original version of your wheels, he's a bit OCD but is really good at DIY stuff.

[​IMG]

Keep it up!

15. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

Thank for all the kind words, really appreciate it! So nice to hear from you guys.

What a nice R32, shame I can't have mine in such perfect condition because I'm a dickhead and I constantly scratch or dent the bastard haha
    I'll try though.

I was completely sure that you have to do a remap in order to bolt on an RB25 turbo, as injectors/maf are almost maxed out already?

16. BenRice

Nah, just make sure you use the RB25 actuator as its lower (6psi) than the RB20 actuator (9psi). Even on lower boost the bigger turbo will flow more giving you more midrange but you wont notice any difference in lag due to it being ceramic.

When you're ready for a tune / mapping put the RB20 actuator on the RB25 turbo, and with the bigger exhaust and intercooler are done it should sit around 13psi, a good safe level. Any higher than 15psi and the exhaust wheel will fall off.

17. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

Fantastic read, how it should be done! You've saved that and made it look great.

Keep on drifting, breaking and fixing that thing man!

18. BenRice

Oh, and just throw a bigger intank fuel pump (Walbro 255lph are good and cheap), then if you still need more an adjustable FPR to pump up line pressure if you are running out of fuel. Would be surprised if the AFM is maxing out, it should handle the flow of an RB25 turbo fine.

19. squiffy

squiffy Member

Really good write up buddy! you've done a great job of saving that car, and had good fun making use of it while doing so.

fair fucking play! :D

20. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

awesome thread. Reads like the reverse of most build threads. Its normaly: buy car, add bits to make it look shit. Nice to see someone doing it the right way round.

Out of intereste where did you get the wheels? link?