1uz CA18 box clutch setup help!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by turaboy1, Dec 28, 2014.

1. turaboy1

turaboy1 New Member

Hello driftwork fellas,

From mini to megas, I have learnt lot of stuff from this site. This time I need help in selection of clutch setup for my KS13.
    I bought this ride from a friend three months ago. He was running 1uz non-vvti setup mated to ca18 box. Car roughly makes 300whp. He used spec stage 3 clutch setup. Car vibrated on first gear only. After a month of abuse, the car started rattling on idle. The sound disappeared when the clutch was completely pressed and it would return when unpressed.
    Long story cut short, pair of springs were shattered and continuous use of untreated clutch lead to crack on clutch plate. I am not looking forward to change engine and gearbox setup for at least a year. In the meantime, I am now looking for either a new clutch plate or a new clutch kit that should be able to hold enough torque and rough street and drift abuse. I know that the spline count of the box is 24 and the required spline diameter is 1 inch. However, I'm unsure,
    1) What disc diameter should I go for?
    2) Would I need to drill holes into the existing flywheel for the new clutch kit either from ACT or Exedy?

Any sort of help in this regard would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. turaboy1

turaboy1 New Member

bump... need help guys

3. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Is it a redrilled mr2 flywheel? Most seem to be.

Act do upto 600hp clutches

Tho i can't imagine the box is going to last very long

what mods does it have for 300whp?

4. turaboy1

turaboy1 New Member

Previous owner doesn't seem to remember. Does it look like mr2's?
    http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/tamoorroxs/media/IMG_8144_zps74e814d9.jpg.html

I looked for ACT NS4-HDG6 clutch kit. Should last some time. Do they have some sort of break-in period?
    http://www.advancedclutch.com/ns4-hdg6

I am going to change the complete setup in a year. Will be careful with my driving habits for the time being.

Well, the car seems to have upgraded manifold, a cold air intake and a cat-back exhaust. Don't know about hidden mods done by the previous owner.

#4 turaboy1, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  5. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Are the holes where it bolts to the crank elongated?

There are few problem making wheels if you have the old clutch and pressure plate you country googling the numbers on there.

6. -WJ-

-WJ- Dutch drifter

It is indeed the mr2 flywheel, the original boltholes have been welded and new holes have been drilled according to the photo...

7. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

I have a competition clutches stage 2 kit on mine you could try them.