mx5 to e36 compact

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by oatsand, Feb 16, 2015.

1. oatsand

oatsand New Member

Hi all, recently losing my 5 to a hit and run i am considering an e36 compact as a trusty daily/casual sids. I am still new to this and haven't had any seat time. I am still at the stage of clutch kicking corners at any late night/safe opportunity but was finding the welded diff on my 5 infuriating in a daily drive. I've read that the 5 is a much better starter drift car than the compat, is it worth getting another 5 but switching to the standard lsd diff or getting a compact and working on that as I've also heard good things on this car despite the 'e30 rear end' which I can understand just trying to shead some light on this situation. Sorry for any newbie face palms here. Thanks in advanc.

2. oatsand

oatsand New Member

I also know that I am going to be told to weld the diff on the compact but can afford the ls off an e36 m3 to combat this IF the swap is straight forward.

3. derekmcl05

derekmcl05 Member

If it were me I would get another mx5 and get a good lsd in it. They can do a lot in the right hands even with the power they produce

4. oatsand

oatsand New Member

Ah cheers for pretty much telling me what I want to hear haha was considering a mk2 1.8 but is there actually much difference in torque between the 1.6 and 1.8?

5. Sir_Squidalot

Sir_Squidalot New Member

The difference is about 20bhp and about 30nm? Try and find a mk2 1.8s as this comes with

6. miffy

miffy Member

I've never drifted a mx5 but if your at the point of clutch kicking it and actually comfortably drifting it on normal roads then your doin a lot better than most , I would stick with what your doin

7. oatsand

oatsand New Member

Sweet cheers for the advice, going hunting for a mk2 next week going for the 1.8 as it comes with the lsd as standard like you said

8. miffy

miffy Member

You won't regret it