2jzgte vvti supra/aristo engine differences

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Drewifella, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Drewifella

Drewifella Member

Does any1 know of the differences between supra 2jz gte vvti and aristo 2jz gte vvti? Looking to buy 1 for my 1.5 jz convertion and aristo 2j seem to be cheaper than supra and heard a few people say oil and pas pumps might be different so wanted to know for sure. Any helps good!!!

2. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

The core engine, including oil pump will be exactly the same as a Supra, but there will be wiring differences and things like mounting brackets, pipework etc. Why do you want a VVTI engine for a 1.5JZ? They are weaker, hell why do you want a GTE engine, just get a 2JZ GE for 100 quid and use that bottom end.

3. Drewifella

Drewifella Member

A know what you saying but there's alot of work tapping for the turbo oil feed and vvti feed and I know some people say you don't need oil squirters but in the gte it's all there ready. From what I've seen you can build a dam good engine with the ge block but I think it's going to be easyer for me to use gte. Am pretty sure the "weaker vvti rods" is just an Internet thing. But I could be wrong!!!

4. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

might sound crazy but why not stick with the vvti 2jz?

what's the need for the 1.5jz?

From what I have learnt and read the main problem with the JZ engines are getting the heads to breathe better...

Ive got a 1JZ being built non VVTI its forged with some head work to breathe better, ideally would need bigger valves but for now it will be more than capable.

What are your power aims?

5. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

So you'd rather spend an extra 1900 quid or something rather than a bit of work drilling and tapping a hole? Oil squirters are neither here nor there really unless you're gonna be boosting the shit out of it and ragging it all the time, and even then a decent mapper can keep the EGTs down within reason.

The 1.5JZ thing came about because a 1JZ head is supposed to flow better than a 2JZ

6. Drewifella

Drewifella Member

I'd of loved to change to 2jz but the reason for me wanting 1.5 jz was-
    1) My engine is coming up to 90 thou miles so wanted to refresh the bottom end and instead of going 1jz vvti again, thought having an extra 500cc would be nice.
    2) The 2jz gte seams to have bullet proof internals upto 600-700 bhp.
    3) Ive already spent on my 1jz vvti, 6 boost, sard 850's, HKS pulley and 264 cams, 12cm hx35, ksracing inlet+q45 and d-jetro pfc so going 1.5jz I could keep my original setup and not have to sell and buy again.

I know a BPU'ed 2jz gte would make 400-450 bhp but if I had to choose a BPU'ed 2jz or a 1.5 jz with the parts ive already got I'd choose the 1.5jz. My aim was never really to have big hp or ft/lb numbers, just over a period of time I've bought parts and just put a setup together I liked. The bigger the numbers the better but I've never really set a target figure. What do you think about using 2jz ge vs 2jz gte dale for the bottom end? Thanks mate

7. Drewifella

Drewifella Member

Swampy- Yeh the gte is a lot more money than the ge but if I went with the ge for me the cost in time getting the block tapped and ready and then found forged rods, pistons and arp studs or evan getting gte rods and pistons the cost would be coming close to just goin gte in the first place. Like I said for me it's just easyer and a few people ive read about who've used ge blocks have said when they've finished they have a cracking engine but if they were to do it again they would have gone gte from the start as the ge sounds cheap but the costs soon mount up. It could be just me though mate wanting an easy life!lol Thanks mate

8. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Let me just pick up on point 2, 90k miles and you want to rebuild the bottom end?! Jesus Ive seen engines on 250k with no problems.
    But art the end of the day its your project, go for it :)

9. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

I wouldn't bother going ge (my opinion) if your doing it get a 2jz gte, but have you thought about just forging your 1JZ bottom end instead?

I get that everything already bolts to your head etc so more hassle to change, when I thought about it I put money on that was the idea.

Sounds like its pretty powerful as is anyway...

10. Drewifella

Drewifella Member

Yeh it's good but like you will know it feels quick at first then a couple of months down the line you start thinking "I'm sure this cars not as quick as it was" and before you know it you've spent a load more money!lol Do you know anyone on here that's done a 1.5jz vvti? It be good to speak to someone who's done it as a lot of the info ive found seems to be different with no one stating exactly the parts needed... And I don't know if it's like swampy said that the aristo 2jz gte vvti only has minor wiring differences and that sort of thing or there is big differences with the oil pump, pas pump and sump set up or any other parts in the supra 2jz gte vvti.

11. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Im telling you 100% the core engine parts are exactly the same between Aristo and Supra. PAS pump will be the same, but the res will be in a different position, Im not sure on the VVTI but the non VVT Aristos have a front sump.
    Oh and on an Aristo the ECU is in the engine bay so the loom will be different

12. Drewifella

Drewifella Member

Why do you recon there's such a price difference between the aristo and supra 2jz gte engines?

13. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

Don't they have different cc injectors and steel caged turbos rather than ceramic?

14. garethr

The VVTi 2JZ-GE engines definitely have different (weaker) connecting rods.

All TTs and the non-VVTi 2JZ-GE have the same conrods.

#14 garethr, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  15. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

UK spec non VVTI engines in the Supra had 550 injectors and steel turbines whilst the J spec had 440cc and ceramic turbines.

The price difference is because one says Supra, the other doesn't lol. Supra people want a drop in solution, the Aristo engine isn't it.

16. Boxertricks

Boxertricks Member

Yeah as you say- VVTi GE rod's are weaker, VVTi GTE rod's aren't.

I think he was referencing turbo conrod's tbh though mate.

As Swampy say's the 550 injector's and steel turbo's are only UK spec Supra specific. Jspec 2JZ Supra's and Aristo's (apart from the difference's Swampy mentioned) are the same.

Jspec ceramic turbo's are bigger than UK spec's but turbine wheel's are obviously weaker.

17. William Hamilton

William Hamilton New Member

How high can you rev stock valvetrain with 66mm turbo???

Still making power at 7000 how high am I safe to push it. (Vvti)