Mustang s197 drift car

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by chaserogers48, May 27, 2015.

1. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

First id like to say i bought the car the way it sits so i cant take credit for much. But i didnt buy it to look at it and this will be my first summer of track days. After sorting out a lot suspension creaks squeaks and some electrical issues its ready to hit the track this coming weekend and i cant wait. After taking it out a few times ive got a few ideas of what needs to change, the front is a little too agressive
    677307b56a4868fd2df2e428921e4128.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dean85 S14

Dean85 S14 Member

Looks good, I like these cars!

Aggressive is not good? :)

3. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

Haha that was a typo sort of. I meant the front camber is too aggressive lol

4. Dean85 S14

Dean85 S14 Member

My comment wasn't for the typo, I was not sure if the aggressive you did not like was the look of the front or something with the alignment, like you then said above :) How does it drive?

5. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

It drives pretty well, being so low with a solid axle gets a little rough lol only complaint with current setup is some understeer.

6. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

While i have no trouble keeping the tires spinning In comparison to an s chassis i cant hold angles for long before it straightens out

7. Dean85 S14

Dean85 S14 Member

What diff does it run?

8. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

Well guys i finally got to take it out on track and it went great the car ran great all day only thing holding me back was my nervousness. I was going to slow in the morning to link turns well but by the end of the day i was getting the hang of it! If some pics from the event get put out ill post those also but heres one after we got loaded up

[​IMG]

9. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

ec613c1e68dbd85aa2ae42b523879628.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HingaSPL

HingaSPL Member

Nice Stang!

11. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

Back after 2 months, ive made it to two more track days. Really getting a feel for the car now. First 2 events i used 245/45 "blacklion" tires never heard of them but at the time they were available to me cheap. Tires wore great made both days on the same set before they were finally gone. Car became pretty prdictable and i was able to link the whole track multipe times. This last event i switch to 245/45 hankook ventus and wasnt very happy. Much grippier feel until they scrubbed off. Wear wasnt great but i think as much as they wore in they will be good for next time. Theres been a tire marker on the back side of the track claiming my front bumper haha came in too low a few times.

12. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

13. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

Another 2 events down and the car is getting predictable and really learning how to get around the track. Ive gotten out on the track with other cars twice now but im still not confident enough for a good tandem. I need to find a good compromise on traction my limited skills like the really loose rear with hard tires. But after trying to tandem i think its killing my speed im blowing the tires off but scrubbing speed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Dean85 S14

Dean85 S14 Member

It looks good, post some videos!
    Are you playing with tire pressures? That might help finding a compromise using cheap rubber.

15. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

A few more different events down. Ive changed tire pressure multiple times during the day finding good and bad spots. I ran hankook ventus which seemed really soft and grippy but on normal 35psi was too much grip for me haha my speed was a lot better but id get out of throttle and grip and lose the end of the banked turns. I just picked up some achilles atr sport hoping they feel similar to the hankook but just a little harder for longer wear.

16. Dean85 S14

Dean85 S14 Member

Post some videos!

17. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

Im trying to post the only video i actually took. Theres a few on facebook but i can only share links to them. Tapatalk keeps crashing while i try uploading my videos

18. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

Went to a new track down in bowling green kentucky. This was another oval but the banks had an elevation change. The banks came down lower than the center of the track and most of the layout ran faster than my home track but after a few runs i got a couple full track runs without mistakes.

[​IMG]

Also met up with another s197 mustang drifter. His car was quite more prepped than mine. It was interesting to get to learn a couple things and find some parts that would probably help my driving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. chaserogers48

chaserogers48 New Member

20. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

this is sooooo cool can not wait to see the videos of this :D stick it on youtube and then post the link if that makes it easier ;)