r 34 4 door project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ste dub, May 27, 2015.

1. ste dub

ste dub Member

I haven't really been too into road cars since selling my old r34 4 door back in 2011. The drift car has been zapping away at most of my disposable income, but with the huge increase in the imports coming in the urge for another road project was inevitable. i hadn't got a good budget to start with so i knew my choices would be limited and with the hassle with vrt as of late with them making up prices i knew a fresh import would be feasible for me.

I've always regretted selling that 4 door 34 so I've been lucky enough to be able to buy another one albeit a very basic and slow version.

its a 2000 nissan skyline hr34 4 door with an rb20de :( but manual so not all bad

The car is completely standard with exception to some brand new bc coilers that were fitted by previous owner less than a month ago and a mega mega rare Nismo s-tune rear duck tail spoiler..

The cars not as clean as id like but clean enough considering it hasn't really been enthusiast owned. It has a few jobs that need doing urgently . The small window in drivers side rear door is perspex but managed to source one from Garage -D in the uk so should have that on friday. The rear bumper isn't a good colour match so thats being repainted as is the boot lid as it has some rust around 3rd brake light as a previous owner chipped it trying to change bulb from the outside:mad)

so here it is when i got it

246oxhc.

2dsrexi.

I have this splitter on the way purchased by the previous owner but might opt for a gtr bumper instead

123343a.

and heres how it currently sits after i gave it a wash, set the ride height to the way i wanted until arches are rolled on monday then it will be lower and borrowed the wheels off my s14 drift car

5wjhn8.

rk0w9k.

qn62rp.

2. RB WPN

RB WPN New Member

please sell me you boot lip :) nice 34 man, always loved 4 doors

3. ste dub

ste dub Member

Boot lip is for sale

4. ste dub

ste dub Member

things have been going slow on this as im saving for my hols at the min. Still working on sorting the lil niggles that are annoying me .

first up was ditch the poxy caliper paint for something a lil less max power
    [​IMG]

little better now
    [​IMG]

when i bought the car the drivers window was stuck up so after looking high and low and cross referencing part numbers etc i had to go order one in japan from amayama. Took 3 weeks in total to come but at least its in now
    [​IMG]

one of my main gripes with the car was the drivers rear fly window. For the last few years its been a cut of perspex so i got onto Julian in Garage-D in watford and he hooked me up with a replacement
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 mins later all fitted. (its been fitted with a matching tint since)
    [​IMG]

as with most jap cars the interior is dull as hell so just done what id done with my old 34 and used a few cuts of a carbon vinyl to cover window switches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

things have been going slow on this as im saving for my hols at the min. Still working on sorting the lil niggles that are annoying me .

first up was ditch the poxy caliper paint for something a lil less max power
    [​IMG]

little better now
    [​IMG]

when i bought the car the drivers window was stuck up so after looking high and low and cross referencing part numbers etc i had to go order one in japan from amayama. Took 3 weeks in total to come but at least its in now
    [​IMG]

one of my main gripes with the car was the drivers rear fly window. For the last few years its been a cut of perspex so i got onto Julian in Garage-D in watford and he hooked me up with a replacement
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 mins later all fitted. (its been fitted with a matching tint since)
    [​IMG]

as with most jap cars the interior is dull as hell so just done what id done with my old 34 and used a few cuts of a carbon vinyl to cover window switches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ste dub

ste dub Member

Well car is now got a fresh Nct failed on first attempt due to headlight alignment and a centre brake bulb being blown, overall i was chuffed it didn't fail on more

got my Yashio okachan water meter v2 from Jesse Streeter yesterday so threw in in there this evening. Its a cool bit of kit plugs straight into diagnostic port. just used an apex stand on it for the min.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also removed rear spoiler and sold to a guy in oz got good money for it so was happy enough and my Fortune auto front splitter arrived so just taped it together as it was cut in two in japan to check fitment and its perfect.. Hope to get the boot lid , rear bumper and front bumper and splitter painted in the next 2 weeks or so..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

just said id update this a lil more. Im finally not embarrassed to be driving the car now. The car had some unsightly marks around the body that really pissed me off after removing the spoiler etc. The cars been here 8years give or take so hasn't been looked after the best cosmetically. I came across a massive problem when went getting quotes to get the work done in various bodyshops. The car is a nissan flat white QM1 on the chassis plate which meant the car was resprayed at some point here in ireland. Heres some pics of the bits i was unhappy with

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The respray itself was a very very good job but unfortunately they didn't use a nissan pearl white and didn't leave me a code to work from so i was 3 weeks solid getting the colour sourced via the petrol flap
    Eventually i left the flap in with a guy who gave me an extremely competitive quote and id seen his work before so i knew it was up to par. He called in his supplier to source colour and we got a match to a Lexus pearl white

[​IMG]

With the colour sourced we agreed on the price and date to get the work done.

The work i wanted done was :

-fit new front splitter, repair and repaint front bumper

-repair and repaint rear bumper

-debadge bootlid

-repair rust and weld up spoiler holes

-repaint bootlid.

Due to pearl being so hard to match he had to blend in rear 1/4s but he also informed me that he would repaint rear light covers and give the car a full buff free of charge :-)

Heres the progress pics he sent me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ste dub

ste dub Member

Got the car back exactly a week later and can't get over the job he done the colour match is 100 per cent in my eyes couldn be happier . I will be getting more body work done after my holidays when ill be sourcing em skirts and rear spats swell as uras window and boot spoilers. i was gonna get a frp gtr style bumper but i think the setup i have now works just as good. Anyways heres some pics i took the day i collected it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much forgotten all about this car as a project. Theres been a few personal things that have distracted me from showing any interest in the car.

Having decided im too old for going the bodykit route and opting for an oem look bodywise, i began looking for genuine oem optional sideskirts and rear bumper spats. I searched high and low and any sets i managed to find required winning the euro millions to purchase. So gave up on the search until last week where i got the finger out again. Unfortunately i couldnt locate any genuine items i could afford but did locate a guy reproducing frp versions from original mouldings. He happens to be based in Russia, where he tells me they are quite the fans of jdm cars. I ordered them from him and including delivery works out extremely cheap and i expect to recieve in 3 weeks or so as he manufactures to order.

Heres how they look on other cars, they are very subtle but since my car has a front lip fitted it will level the car out on the exterior . I cant stand cars with front lips hugging the ground then the arse and sides are up in the air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how i want the rear of the car looking with rear spats, boot spoiler and roof spoiler

[​IMG]

I also need to buy a new set of wheels as i currently have only 4 wheels between this and the drift car :-( so when the jr's are on the r34 the drift cars on stands and vice versa

i havent decided on whether or not to buy another set of the same wheels, a different style altogether for the r34 or a drop down from 18s to 17s as seen in the middle pic above. 17s will allow me to go a lil lower.

7. ste dub

ste dub Member

After searching high and low for oem skirts and rear bumper spats since buying ther car and having no luck, i managed to find a guy who who make me replicas using plastified epoxy and structural fibreglass. So this morning 3 weks after ordering the box arrived from russia. im over the moon with the finish,strength,quality and fit of these and far exceeded my expectations. It will be late janurary or early feb before they are painted and fitted as i want to get some spoilers and possibly r34 gtr side skirt diffusers to give it a more aggressive lower stance.

i jus sat them against the car to check fit and ive noticed changes i wanna make to wheel choice or ride height its just not sitting the way id like it too . Chances are ill have to change wheels as the offsets and widths wont allow me to go lower..

heres a view pics and opinions are always welcomed and appreciated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. counteract

counteract -o=me

Car looks amazing man! I think I remember seeing it for sale a while back, remember the rear window thing.

Shame you will have to change the wheels as they suit it down to the ground!

After seeing this, the want is high again for an R34 four door. They seem very reasonably priced for poverty spec ones. Yours is looking great though man! They don't need a lot to look good and yours is looking so good!

9. ste dub

ste dub Member

Thanks pal the wheels are 18 x 10.5 et12 on the rear and I'm running a 225 40 tyre on that. The wheels do suit it really and are so cheap so maybe look into a fresh set of the same with a higher offset to allow me drop it to where I want it

10. counteract

counteract -o=me

Sounds like a plan if you can afford it man, spacers will always be available to sort it out afterwards!

11. ste dub

ste dub Member

Exactly plan is to try mate r34 gtr side skirt diffusers to the oem skirts too

12. ste dub

ste dub Member

One or two more bits order and arrived for this...

Have this 350mm personal grinta wheel on the way from Andy in planet drift

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the last piece of the exterior puzzle arrived today. Origin roof spoiler. If I do any more to the exterior it will just be the uras boot lid spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car will be going to get the oem skirts , oem rear spats and the origin roof spoiler painted and fitted in the coming weeks along with getting a small scuff repaired on the front lip.

- - - Updated - - -

Picked up another few bits today so once front camber arms are bought that's the handling side of things done also running a lil neg camber on the front will allow me lower nose a tad.

[​IMG]

13. ste dub

ste dub Member

Today's been a productive day. My paint man sent me pics of the skirts , far spats and origin roof spoiler painted up and left in the oven. The guys work is 110% and can't recommend him enough. He's also reprinting the front lip as I scuffed it slightly a few months back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up these absolutely immaculate lancer evo 2 seats. These are in remarkable condition for almost 24years old. I've never had any says apart from oem in a road car so these will be a welcomed change. I wanted something not too in your face as I wanna keep the cockpit colours scheme as close to factory as possible so would never go for red etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to have the car back on Friday so plan on taking it on a spin down to auto heroes in momdello this Saturday

14. ste dub

ste dub Member

Picked the car up from the bodyshop today and to say im happy is an understatement. The car looks exactly how I wanted it to look in my head bar a boot spoiler thayts currently being made.

The oem skirts, oem rear spats and origin roof spoiler fit brilliantly and I also got a small scuff repaired on the front lip...

Its hard to be the look of a low spotlessly clean white car..

im chuffed.

opinions are welcomed

the outdoor pics were taken before I spent a few hours cleaning it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after a wax etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ste dub

ste dub Member

Got around to fitting the adjustable suspension arms there on sat. In the rear ive fitted Apex Performance toe arms and camber arms, Ive also fitted Driftworks traction arms. I know traction arms aint really necessary but if i was gonna fit one i may aswell do it right and fit them all. Also fitted in the front are Apex Performance tension rods. Ive kept all the new arms set to the same as factory items for the moment until i pick up some front camber arms and then ill get it all set as i want properly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something that bugged me about the recaros i bought were the fact the logos were faded and some of the threads disappearing, they are 20plus yrs old so i decided to get some white fsbric paint and go over the logos. They look alot better now i think. May only ber a small difference but better none the less

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My nardi personal grinta 350mm that i bought off andy in planet drift before xmas arrived today. Exactly as described and in excellent condition

[​IMG]

16. ste dub

ste dub Member

Well I've picked up one or two more bits for this.

I got a kts handbrake spin turn knob and hkb boss kit to suit my personal wheel so that's in now and I love it.
    [​IMG]

Picked up some brand new defi advance bf 2.0 60mm gauges and controller for when I do the engine swap. I got them in amber so I have boost,oil temp and oil pressure. I'll be getting a water temp eventually.

[​IMG]

And my latest purchase was on Sunday. The drift car was left sitting on stands due to the r34 robbing it's wheels so new wheels where needed for one of the cars. I decided to buy some for the r34. So I decided to try out some oem r34 gtr wheels. I lowered the car a further 10mm on the front and 15mm on the rear and fitted 8mm spacers on rear. Done all this today and to be honest I'm in 2 minds on what to do. I'm not sure I like em

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

GTR wheels look awesome

Not a fan of the front lip tbh, needs bigger sideskirts & rear to work but overall car looks awesome.

Please decide to throw something like a TD06 on the stock 20. Solid lifters, high revs, VVT would make this super fun street car

18. bennyboi

bennyboi Member

That is fantastic! great looking car.
    Although the first wheels do look better the GTRs still fit and look the part. Do you have any intention of getting more power out of her?

19. ste dub

ste dub Member

Yes a 25det neo conversion will be happening over the summer. I'm considering gettin some of the old wheels again as I rather the fatter look the car had

20. CamperBoB

CamperBoB Member

love the look :)