mx5 mk2.5 VVT issue

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by DouglasB, Jun 12, 2015.

1. DouglasB

DouglasB Member

YES THIS IS A LONG POST BUT PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE COMMENTING

So to start off as simple as possible...
    engine swapped into my mk1
    Running, everything wired up.
    driving, real world car.
    Not running, no crank, no engine lights etc just airbag light and fuel light. WTF!!!

My car was running fine as I said but on its last working day I done 2 things that could have caused failure.

1- tried to start mk2.5 engine with mk1 key (all 2.5 electrics swapped. No mk1 electrics are in the car. standard Thatcham 2 immobiliser)... immobilised.

**Immobiliser light never worked but car ran so can't judge this from immobiliser light.**

2- then put right key in to just put ignition on for 12v testing for wiper motor... ended up re-routing coolant pipes into each other rather than matrix and dropped water onto an earth beside coolant bottle. Blew ecu?

**opened up ECU, no water damage or signs of damage from anything shorting. Sent pic of ecu internals to ecu guy. Says it looks fine**

That's the 2 things I could have done wrong... I'm almost 99% sure it's immobilised because there's no 12v's going to anything to do with the immobiliser and fuel pump ain't purging. Also Engine Control relay under bonnet in fuse box ain't working. It works opening the cap and pressing manually and then engine light and battery light come on as it was, also fuel pump is purging but won't crank or nothing when relay manually held down. There's literally NOTHING happening when turning the key. No clicking... nothing. Tried bigger car battery and still nothing. Check all wires coming from earth's (not actual earth nut or whatever it is earthing) and they are all earthed so nothing isn't NOT getting power as it should.

At my wits end and don't know whether to order a new ecu and immobiliser set or get an auto electrician out. Had one look at it for 5 minutes until he buggered off. He reckoned it was immobilised but also said he thought it was something more also. I thought he was just saying that because he will be seeing pound signs as they do considering he said the first thing he will do if he comes out is check all fuses... fuck you spark man.

***ANY HELP IS WELCOME***

2. DouglasB

DouglasB Member

Little update... checked the electrical contact points for the ignition... took the connection off the back, was then a tapered screw, end of the barrel (not key end) came out. No signs of damage from shorting etc, open the end of the barrel up further and still in good condition.

Checked the lives on the starter. Only the large, permanent, live wire from the battery was live. Second live should come on when starting but no. Got a length of wire and connected the permanent live to 2nd live... solenoid is spinning fine.

Gonna check later for continuity in the 2nd live to the ignition. Maybe the wire is damaged along the way