Going To Look At a S13!?!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Black Betty, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Black Betty

Black Betty Bamalam

Im in need of a bit of help by all of you lot in the know about S13's! A friend of a friend is selling his S13 due to his mrs wont let him keep all of his toys, and the latest toy is a 636 Kwaki!
    The S13 is a G plate, with 115k on the clock in metallic maroon, been owned in the family from new but the Turbo's impeller shaft has seized, and supposibly still driveable due to the turbo hasnt blown up and hasnt sent unwanted metallic objects in to the engine! Hes after £600! Is this a decent price?? Im not worried about fixing it, cuz im a mechanic and dont get put off by little projects like that, but i was wondering if that was cheap in the land of S13's!! The rest of the car is mint, and has never given any trouble before!

Any help would be really appricaited! :thumbs: :D ;)

2. DirtyDrifter

DirtyDrifter Member

only bad things i've heard about the s13 is the turboskeep on blowing but ifthis one is siezed and u would be willin to fix or replace it then i dont see a prob. seems like a bargin @ 600 pounds

3. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

ok the list to check should go something like
    check for rust under spoiler and on arches
    rattle from big ends throughout rev range.
    ALLEGEDLY a car of this mileage should be thinking rebuild so ask if that's been done ( mine has 134k with no rebuid so that is other people's opinion )
    check rear subframe bush condition. These do go and are pretty annoying to replace. Knackered ones can adversely effect handling and put you off an otherwise decent car.
    However £600 is a f..king good price if all the above are in order and you can get a recon t25 for less than £100 off ebay but you really want a t28 again similar prices f you shop about!!

Good Luck
    Kieram :smokin:

4. Black Betty

Black Betty Bamalam

Cheers guys, well i went and had a look at it, its in real good condition body and interior wise, it has got a tiny scab just amerged from under the rear spoiler, about 5mm in diameter, but only surface rust!
    It has worn rear subframe bushes which has worn the insides of both rear tyres, but to me that looks a fairly simple job to replace, especially if i use a ramp and press etc at work! Is there any uprated bushed availible? e.g. polybush??

I drove it to, but it aint half slow because the turbo aint working! Looks an easy job to replace the turbo!

It has air con, pas, abs etc, and no sunroof! AWESOME! haha! Was Air con a optional extra when new, or did they all have it??

And the best bit i thought was the handbrake! I thought if i took it on a raodtest i better check everything, especially because he didnt come with me! Are all S13's handbrakes awesome!?! Just a quick pull on the bar and i was away! lol :D :D
    And the last question, does anyone know what insurance group they are??

Cheers boys! :thumbs:

5. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

You need to remove the subframe to get the bushes renewed, and if you can lift it onto a press to get them out, you've obviously been eating your shredded wheat:) Once the sumframe is off cut them out or leather them with brute force and ignorance :nod: Polybushes are available, less than a ton for all four.

Tell me that when you're halfway through;) First time I did it, it took 3 hours to remove, and I was ready to set fire to the car:D

It was an option, but a lot of people bin it as it often needs recharging and weighs quite a bit.

£600 isn't too bad a price, but I've seen them for less. If you're willing to do some searching and work, you can get them for 3-400 quid fairly easily.

6. Black Betty

Black Betty Bamalam

I always eat shreaded wheat! haha! Not! More like beer and pies! lol! Ive always got help on hand by the other mechanics, that makes life alot easier to do jobs such as the subframe bushes!

The turbo job is defo easier than twin turbo supras, 300 sx's, etc etc! I can actually see daylight around it, unlike the before mentioned! Celica GT4 cambelts and clutches are alot harder than the turbo on the SX! hehe :D !

Ive already planned to remove the a/c! I dont want that crap, i was just wondering if it was a top of the range model or something!?! I just like that it hasnt got a sunroof! More motorsport orientated! lol! :D :thumbs:

Thanks alot for the info matey! Top bloke! :p

7. Black Betty

Black Betty Bamalam

Oh and one other thing, do they have hydraulic tappets?? Cuz i think i heard a little rattle on start up until the oil pressure picked up! Just like the good old VW range (polo,golf etc!) :)

8. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

Tappets (??) suffer from oil starvation when the engine cool's
    usually goes away after the temp heats up a little and the oil starts to flow!! :wave:

9. Black Betty

Black Betty Bamalam

Well thats put a dampener on the situation! INSURANCE!!!! :wack: :(

Im 21 years old, complete clean liesence, 3 years NCB! And at the moment im paying £700 a year on my Corolla GT!

Well i thought id better get a quote b4 i buy the S13! and i was quoted £2245 TPFT!! :eek: Fuck that for a game of toy soldiers! :mad: :no:

And that was the only policy i could find that would give me third party cover on any other vehicle! Which is a necessity for me due to i drive loads of other peoples cars that i work on, as i am a mechanic!

I got a quote of £1800 if i didnt want third party cover on any other vehicle! Which is still taking the piss!

Anyone else have these troubles! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

10. sambo

sambo team yer maw

Press would be very handy for changing the bushes, the front 2 are silicon filled and its disgusting sticky shit, the back 2 are just rubber iirc but are a pain in the arse to cut out. I have Powerflex bushes, apparently Nissan won't sell standard bushes anyway, just a whole subframe :eek: While the subby is off you may as well throw on an LSD :thumbs: S14 isn't exactly the best, but it's better than nothing and can be had for £100, direct fit too as long as you use the s13 back plate and get the s14 front bolts/bushes. Or get in about it with a welder :D

Turbo isn't too hard, just fiddly, exhaust bolts will more than likely snap, you'll get coolant and oil in your mouth, and a lot of obscenities will be shouted at the bottom manifold bolts.

Air-Con was an option from new...

11. Black Betty

Black Betty Bamalam

Thanks for the advice sambo, but is no longer needed, as i am not buying it anymore, due to unaffordable insurance! Im just gonna stick with the 1 drifer at the moment! Good old AE86! :D Cheaper insurance!! :)

Oh and by the way Nissan do sell both types of rear subframe bushes, and avarage £15+vat (at trade price that is) :thumbs: