DIY power steering weight adjustment

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by DouglasB, Oct 27, 2015.

1. DouglasB

DouglasB Member

First off, my power steering on my 1jz works off the aristo hydro pump rather than a conventional power steering pump. When I'm driving for a decent period of time it starts to sound like a supercharger. I got a PAS hose made up but it's quite large and has made the steering stupidly/dangerously light.

Could the whine be caused by too much fluid passing and over working the hydropump?

Next, I want to make the steering heavier without having to disconnect (can turn off PAS by removing spade connectors) it all the time because then it's stupidly hard because of all the fluid still in the rack.
    I've been advised to remove my male connector on the end of the hose, thread a bolt into it and then drill through said bolt to make a smaller hole which would therefore restrict fluid and make the steering heavier. This is going to cost me pennies to get done.

My question is, doing so, will it cause my hydropump to disintegrate? Or should it still be fine?

#1 DouglasB, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. DouglasB

DouglasB Member

Before anyone comments saying change the hose, I'd rather use a bolt, that way I can drill it really small and then in cease the size to change the weight if it's too heavy. That would save me spending £30 a time buying different sized hoses :( monies which I'm short on at the moment

3. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Why don't you just remove the lot and go manual? Won't cost you a penny. Better steering feel and you can junk all the associated pumps/pipes etc. which saves weight and cleans up the engine bay, less things to go wrong etc. I've just done it on my R32.

No idea why you want to make the steering heavier. Above a certain speed the power steering essentially cuts off anyway, it's really only there to help low speed maneuvering/parking. Fitting a bolt seems like a daft idea for no measurable purpose.

4. DouglasB

DouglasB Member

Not as simple as that with my set up mate. It's shockingly light no matter the speed as it's not running off the usual set up. When it's being drifted there's no feel whatsoever for where the wheels actually are and it's a mess to drift.

I don't want to go with no power steering because my last fews cars have all had none and I've started to enjoy the luxury.

5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Your idea might work but could be an expensive experiment if it ends the pump.
    You really need to get a better sized hose and if that's still not working either remove and fit normal pas or remove completely.
    Surely pirtek could just chop the hose shorter and recrimp the same end on with a new collar. That should be be too pricey.

6. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Er, it is that simple and I'm not being funny with you. Start fucking about with PS setups and you're not going to really improve things. You said the problem with it is that it feels 'shocklingly light', so just bin the lot and go back to manual. Manual is the best setup for steering feel, I hate PS setups generally.

Or worst case fit a proper pump, i.e. go back to a fully standard setup if you really must keep PS, I fail to see how it is a luxury if the whole setup feels like shit tho hah!

7. DouglasB

DouglasB Member

Thanks for the input guys, probably just gonna go non pas as I don't want to be spending money on it the more I think about it. Gone without for the last few cars, sure I can handle this one too haha

#7 DouglasB, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015