Converting Quattro Audi A4 into drift car... Ridiculous idea?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by VAG-Slag, Oct 29, 2015.

1. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

I'm a proper vagsman, always have been always will be... I've had the idea of converting a VAG into a drift car for a while and now I have the opportunity to buy a well sorted 1997 Audi A4 2.8 v6 for next to nothing.

It's an ex tarmac/gravel rally car (MSA logged) - it's got roll cage, poly carb windows, internal alloy fuel cell, all lines internal, hydro, kill switches and koni coilovers with a decent 2.8 v6 running 034 motorsport cams. It also come with a few sets of wheels and at least one spare of practically everything (doors, panels, bumpers, diffs, axles arms etc etc)

In my eyes I was just gonna weld up the center diff + rear diff and get some rack spacers made up. . . Don't get me wrong, it's never going to be a competition car, but surely it'd make a perfectly adequate and capable drift car?

Or am I missing something!? . . I know the suspension set up is a bit abnormal for a drift car, do you think that will cause me any major draw backs down the line?

Would like to know your thoughts on this as I gotta make a decision pretty soon! Thanks guys

2. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Go for it.. Once it's rwd it'll drift..:thumbs:

3. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

Pretty much all I need/what to hear lol

I just wonder if I'd be better off spending my money on an e36 328... I mean the guy is letting me have all this for a grand, and it's going to cost me 2/300 quid to get it home. I doubt I'll get anything else as well spec'd for that money?

I'm no expert on suspension geo but I think creating lock should't be too much of an issue. . . Am I right in saying longer rack (i.e rack spacers) and shorter steering arms (i.e modified hubs) should sort that out?

And if I really decide I need camber then there are camber kits out there, they're just not cheap...

4. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

That sounds like an absolute bargain mate, go for it

5. big_si

big_si Member

My old housemate converted a boggo standard '96 2.8 A4 to RWD and it was epic fun. Has lots of grip though so he was messing about with the rear suspension quite often but it will work. He sold it on and I saw some pics of it at skid risk for a while afterwards so it's worth it.

Think he removed the front shafts as well as welding up the diffs

6. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

Anything with a decent cage for a grand has got to be a bargain :)

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you don't want it, I'll have it. I prob won't even RWD it- Sounds like a decent rally car.

8. Cades

Cades Member

9. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

Yes, they are almost identical cars bar the engine... And thank you so much for showing me this!!!

1. I was thinking I'd have to take the whole gearbox out to get to the center diff.

2. That unit the car is photographed outside and worked on in (Autobarn) is a few doors down from where I used to work and I know the guy that owns it, looks like this was obviously his car!

Small world lol He's since opened an alignment shop next door and I was gonna go to him to sort out my alignment once I've dicked about with the steering anyway...

Right, it's decided... I'm Buying it! . . Expect a build thread some time in November and sideways action early next year :-D