Driving with a welded diff

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Jake848, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Jake848

Jake848 New Member

Hi guys I'm new to drifting and am about to purchase a bmw 328i fully road legal with a welded diff. It will be used every other day until I can afford another daily. Just wondering iff anyone can tell me what should I expect when normal street driving, particularly when roads are wet, will I av to becareful when it come to corners or aslong as I am not booting it around should i be oki. There are a few cars around where I live in macclesfield that have welded diffs and they seem to be fine but just wanted to check

2. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

just kidding, its fine, just a bit clunky when parking etc, wet you will need to be a bit more careful on.

only time i had a moment was going down a hill bend, quite steep and at an angle, off power the tyres squealed but that was about it

3. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

good quality tyres are key to happy driving with a welder.

good tyres, suspension, and alignment, and then after a little while driving, a welder will feel safer than an open diff in every single road condition.

That was my experience, anyway.

Wet is nicer than the dry cos it doesnt clunk and skip as badly.

4. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

Welded diff's were responsible for 9/11.

5. smokindrifter

smokindrifter Member

When you get your car test you skills by twating it down a wet road into a nice bend and step off the gas ! You have passed the skills test if you dont go in the hedge lol ! Serious they are ok but if you are getting a move on can be tricky on the road in the wet

6. drift it

drift it Member

Says it all really. Been driving for a few years with one myself and it's not that bad. Well. . . When you get used to it clunking.

7. jamesb16a2

jamesb16a2 Member

Could put my soarer into a bend as quick as I wanted (within reason) handled pretty well welded diff just makes skids predictable plus mad scene points with the Maccies crew yo

8. Ste333

Ste333 "The Shoulder"

They're okay for daily'ing but mine drove me nuts- I had one in my S14a. You need to get used to the fact that everyone will stare at you when you're manoevering in a car park as if something is severely wrong with your car as it skips around. If your daily commute is a long one then personally I wouldn't recommend it. It will soon annoy the hell out of you...but it depends how much you will actually utilise the car too for drifting. ie. if you do several drift days a year and enjoy a bit of streeto, you'll live with it. If you only do 1 drift day a year and the rest of the time is long commuting and using it for daily duties, buy a standard non-welded diff. But then if you plan to get another car...it might not be an issue.