Drift Allstars Banning Pre '96 cars

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by J_W97, Nov 27, 2015.

1. J_W97

J_W97 Member

As summed up in the title, interested in getting opinions on Drift Allstars recent rule change to phase out pre 1996 cars.

I understand that its somewhat trying to modernise the sport and attract new sponsors, but its hardly like anyone that believes in grassroots drifting can afford to go out and buy a BRZ/GT86 and then tear into it turning it into a completely different beast. Its hardly like that many fun and affordable RWD cars are manufactured nowadays compared to back then (I know a few are but compared to back then, theres none).

Anyway, interested to hear other peoples opinions.

2. NoelB

NoelB Member

I think it's a massive mistake. Only interested in attracting money to the series. Will become the formula one of the drifting world. Good in some aspects as every Motorsport needs to develope and modernise but me personally as a fan of grassroots and the origins of drifting don't like the idea.

3. stichy

stichy Member

I think I will help the sport move on. Away from old s body's and on to newer car that have been under developed over the years.

And the old cars can't last forever.

4. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

I think competitive drifting for the most part is a little dull other than for those directly involved.

5. stichy

stichy Member

And it must help with the drift image problem.
    Newer cars that a larger audience car relate too

6. J_W97

J_W97 Member

I agree with the 'becoming the F1' in that it will help push the sport 'forwards' if you could call it that. To be fair though, DA never advertises itself as a grassroots championship and neither does FD and if FD introduced this rule I doubt it'd be as much of a deal. I just think that DA is trying to put its standards in line with FD and leaving the grassroots stuff down to Drift Cup, IDC/BDC etc

7. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

I think it's an excellent idea, it forces people to look beyond the typical 1JZ powered S14 / E36 builds that are currently everywhere. There's no doubting they're a good combination, but running the same tried and tested setup makes the sport stagnate, there's no drive to develop something new if the old tried and tested methods work.

8. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

Its a great idea in theory, however the sport isnt quite there yet to where such a rule could actually work like intended.

Obviously the idea is to get manufacturers involved, get newer cars involved etc.

However it will turn out maybe 2% of entrants will get newer cars, develop parts for em, and then the rest will go "well fuck sake cant use my s13, aint buying some fucking hyundai ill run a bmw e46 instead" ...

Problem is the idea will work but i wouldnt be shocked if DA run the rule for a year or two realize it isnt working like they wanted and then scrap it, this idea will only really take real affect after the rules been implemented for maybe 5 or 10 years time.

Also the other issue is drifting itself (this is probably a good thing in reality) but it isnt FIA and all official, so why should manufacturers get behind it? why should they be giving cars n parts or a salary to a Mr Polwiskiki or someone no one would of ever heard of.

It was all big n great when mad mike got apparent mazda backing. but what have they done? other than chuck a mazda 6 his way im not too sure what the point was, it seems PPRE do most of the donkey work of creating cars, not mazda, obviously i dunno what goes on behind closed doors but thats also the point, we know who makes f1 cars, they are their team.

The only person remotely close to what DA want to achieve is Vaughn Jr. he does work with ford and they have released cars together.

So yea great idea in theory but meh cant see it working in the way they want.

9. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

I actually don't see an issue, cars eligible next year will still be up to 20 years old, plus anything older than that would get the added 'retro-tax' anyway so financially I don't see much difference!

10. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Problem is, DA is quite a way from being inline with FD. It doesn't have the exposure, the money, popularity or backing.
    I mean, come on....although it turned out to be an exciting event, DA were using banger racing track with a load of blacktop thrown over the centre to cobble a track together.

Don't get me wrong Drift allstars is a good series, with some very good drivers and cars. But formula drift it is not....I just don't think it's quite ready for such regulations.
    But I'll probably be proved wrong

11. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

I'd rather see regulations regarding vehicle power tbh, at the moment FD is just a BHP contest. Give me a series restricted to 200bhp, then you might see a return of aggressive driving styles and initiations like this:

12. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

Post 96 cars.... lets see

S14 200sx
    S14a 200sx
    S15 Silvia
    Toyota Supra
    Toyota Chaser
    R33 Skyline
    R34 Skyline
    350z

All of those cars are really expensive aren't they.... You'll still see all the typical cars at events.

13. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand the issue people have with cost either??

How much are S13's going for these days?
    How much do you need to spend to get in an AE86???

You can pickup a late 90's beemer for well under a grand, plenty of parts available for those.
    If anything the pre-1996 cars are getting prohibitively expensive for grassroots enthusiasts.

14. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

And Boom goes the dynamite...

15. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

From what i gathered on speed hunters if the chassis was used on a car before 96 then cars with the same chassis even if they are made after 96 are still not allowed to enter.

So from the list above the MK4 Supra came out in 1992 i believe and even though there where ones made after 1996 they will all not be eligible to enter because the chassis production started before 1996. Even facelift models and varients won't be able to enter because there original chassis there based on is pre 96. Your list if it works that way will get mighty small very quickly ;)

Thats what i got out of the rules anyway maybe i missed something ?

#15 lewyS14a, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  16. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

I was sure I read the opposite... maybe I miss read it. S15, R34's and 350z and JZX100's are all still good I'm sure.

17. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

Basically it goes on vin plate from what i can gather

so a S14 will be banned, and so will the same s14 who comes back with a kouki kit on, however a genuine S14A will have a differing vin plate so will be accepted.

When it comes to a car that started production in say 1990 and carries on without any known obvious changes like a s14 to s14a, will be banned however.

18. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

When you put it like that Purcyp it does sound fucking ridiculous. Oh your car has rounder headlights sorry you cant use it..

19. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

Pretty much, its all speculation this anyway aint it? nothing official.

But again, whilst this is great in a game of f1...

but drifters lets be honest

"fuck it" is the overall feeling and most will end up with a e46 or whatever scrapes through, because we all know, whilst it is lovely, ford mazda or whoever are not going to do fuck all are they....ever

The whole idea is a pointless move, if DA becomes some sort of established F1 money spinner, THEN add age restrictions and get car makers heads scratching and creating.
    but for now, look at limiting other things ..not car age because no ones gonna bother otherwise

"oh but they will" NO A FUCKING E46 DOESNT COUNT!!! laziest route forward will literally all it will become, whatever is cheapest and scrapes will do

also 350z's etc yea great "newer" but that also doesnt achieve what DA wants with this rule..so back to square one

20. big_si

big_si Member

I'm pretty sure they didn't manage to get enough cars for a top 16 in the round over here did they?

From an outsider's point of view, it looks to me like they've banned the cars that are winning so the big budget builds have more of a chance.

But I don't really follow it or know much about anything so I'm prepared to get flamed on this.